Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 14MZ customer satisfaction survey

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Radio is perfect
54.00%
Minor problems, happy with it
19.33%
Major problems
14.67%
Crashed or almost crashed a plane because of it.
12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Futaba 14MZ customer satisfaction survey

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:01 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 14MZ customer satisfaction survey

Before I got my first computer radio, I owned 16 transmitters so I wouldn't have to keep exchanging radios between model aircraft. The cost of each transmitter was probably between 2 to 4 hundred dollars.

Now I have ONE Futaba 12Z and ONE back-up Futaba 8 channel. I'm going to sell/trade the 8 channel and get another 12Z.

If it weren't for the advances in R/C tech, I'd most likely have over 20 tx's by now.

I don't mind one bit that my new 12Z didn't come with servos.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:14 PM
rcjet lynch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine about two weeks ago and I have to say I am happy so far. I have flown it about 9 times now.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Rob, is not clear that you got the 12 or 14? By the way, Nelson sent a greeting to you.

Enrique
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am from Brazil and a person is offering me an used 14mz...he said that the radio has bem used for just some times... Anyone can help me to know how old is the radio???
The serial number is 3553...

Thanks...
Old 11-13-2006, 07:51 AM
erbroens

Heraldo, it can´t be older than 2 years. You can also download the latest software update from Futaba to keep it as "new".

By the way, the radio you are thinking to buy is not mine...

Enrique
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 AM
heraldoboldrin

Enrique

You are selling an 14MZ??

Heraldo
Old 11-13-2006, 11:20 AM
erbroens

I still didn´t cleared mine of customs after it was repaired in the u.s. But I will sell it as soon it arrives.

Enrique
Old 11-13-2006, 03:06 PM
heraldoboldrin

Why are you selling?? Do you have the price already?

Heraldo
Old 11-13-2006, 03:13 PM
erbroens

Well... It was me that originated this thread. Please read it carefully or if your english is not good I can send you a PM.

Enrique
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Darmawan

Anyone know that I can sound for 14 MZ (ex. IdleUp1, IdleUp2, Normal, etc)

Thanks
Wa-1
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Darmawan

ORIGINAL: Darmawan

Anyone know that I can sound for 14 MZ (ex. IdleUp1, IdleUp2, Normal, etc)

Thanks
Wa-1
Sorry, I mean where can I upload or anyone have a program that I can download......
Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

It's funny how this topic just came up again. Let me say that I have had the 14mz for almost 3 years now. The screen has been replaced 2 times by Futaba under warranty. Overall I am very pleased with radio. But just last night I was looking the radio over and noticed that the case is showing some ware. I emailed Futaba to find out how much it would cost to replace the case.
This morning I received a quote as follows : All the parts that make up the case come out to $ 453.74 plus $30.00 per hour labor no mention as to how many hours it takes to replace the case. I think I'll live with the less than pristine case for now.
jef
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There are four 14MZ's at our field and a couple of 12MZ.
The only problems have been broken switches when dropped, One person has put his finger thru the screen twice, and mine went in for service and had a capacitor replaced somewhere.
I'll bet that at the component level all of the brands are using some of the same individual components.

My 14 was from the first batch of 5 radios that Tower received when it first came out in February 2005.
I have G3 RX in 3 glow helies, 1 gas heli, 1 jet, and 1 giant scale gasser (the jet on the bench will get a G3 unless 14MZ 2.4G modules come out first). No problems that are the radios fault.

Yes I like it and wouldn't trade for anything else on the market.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 PM
MartinL

I have my 14 MZ since june 2005 and till date it hasn´t missed a beat !!
I fly jets, planes and heli´s(nitro and electro). All without problems, haven´t dared to use the G3 receiver in a jet though.
There are about four 14MZ´s in use at my homefield, never heard about any problems with them.

The only issue I encountered with my 14 MZ is that after loading a new update(the one with the logic switches) all the mixer settings for elevons were gone, which resulted that only one aileron/elevator side was working. After placing the older software version back everything was back to normal. I reported this to Robbe in Germany but I didn´t got any response from them.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Edbaker
My Feedback: (44)

I've only owned one for the summer, I bought it slightly used from a friend ( hobby shop owner with too many toys) and I am totally happy with it. I used a 10X for many years and although it was a good radio and very reliable it can't even come close to the functions and features of the 14. I have had 0 problems so far and am now even flying in in jets, and yes even with the G3. Having seen what the 14 is capable of I don't know if I could go back now. Not to bash JR but I would be surprised if the new 12X will even come close. A problem that I do have with Futaba, their manuals leave a lot to be desired. You want to plan a fair amount of time to learn the radio, but it's worth it. I do keep my eye on the forums and can't help but think about the problems I hear about, but say what you will there is no electronic device that is 100% reliable!! My JR years have seen a handful of receiver's and servo's go bad. Good luck in your quest for a new radio.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
rolsen12

I have had my 14 since 2005 and have had no trouble at all.
I think that Futaba has some things in the radio that I have never needed on a radio, ( like down loadig music and that color touch screen) but it does work great.
I have three receivers and am waiting for the soon yo be releaced 2.4 convertion.
My radio just came back from Futaba last week.
You see no mater what radio I own, It gets a service return every two years.

And all munufactures have updates that they do as when the radio comes back for repair.
I don't cost that much.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
pbrantuas
My Feedback: (3)

I've got to agree that the 14MZ is unbeatable when it comes to features and feel.
However I have had a really bad experience with the 5014 G3 receiver. I had a couple of the 5014's that would lock up when certain channels were turned on in other radios. I was able to duplicate this situation every time, and Futaba service showed no interest to get to the bottom of this. They just kept saying they did not know of such problem, so it must be my setup. The funny thing is that I was able to replicate the problem with the system on the bench. Not only that, one team Futaba pilot was able to replicate the problem at a different flying field, and still no interest from Futaba to figure this out.
The problem is that if I had my radio on channel 17 and a friends JR radio with a synthesized module was on channel 37, 38, or 39, it would lock out my system.
Anyway, Futaba came out with the 5114 receiver, and so far so good, but they still made me pay for the new receiver calling it an upgrade and insisting that the only difference between the two receivers is that you can reduce the resolution on the new receiver.
The funny thing is that at the Tucson Shootout this year, I saw a few tem Futaba pilots running 14MZ radios with the old 149DP receiver (1080 resolution) because they don't trust the G3.
If you ask me, for $2,000 I would expect that the 14mz system be as reliable as the old 9z. Don't give me this crap about "it’s more sensitive because of the higher resolution" after the fact.