Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AZ Jet Rally

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AZ Jet Rally

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Austin Goodwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AZ Jet Rally

Sorry I don't recognize the name but welcome aboard. I don't usually get into deep discussion on this or any forum but I thought I would try to set the record straight as best I know. We have some really nice people in the jet community all over the country. I can sure understand why we/they get worried when you hear stuff like this. These airplanes are real expensive and it also takes a long time to replace on too even an ARF. I've lost 2 jets at our field and it can hurt. I test flew my latest F-15 at Tucson because of all the wide open spaces there. I'm comfortable flying it at the AMA field now. I usually stop it in half the runway.
Regards
Austin
Old 11-03-2006, 07:29 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went maybe 6 years in a row, nice people. Always had fun. I missed all of the hullaballoo a few years ago, it is a shame.

I might go again this year, maybe RV with the familiy.

Uncle Joe are you going?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Don't hit the field and the plane will be hurt', sounds like a lot of fields to me! I lost a new F-16 in St. George to the above statement.
I wasn't REAL happy about it, but it could have happened anywhere, and their were seveal other planes lost the same weekend...for the same reason.
I was at Mesa (again) last year, and in spite of the winds, a good time was had by those who were there. I've suffered, and seen the "rx-gremlins" at work at an event where we had 12 planes lost....OUCH! ....of which 6 were lockouts. The following year there were still 72 pilots in attendance, with zero lockouts (and this was in a different state).
It comes down to the same with any vacation, you pays your money and you takes your chances!
I pick events (since each one is between 700-900 miles away) based upon the people, the welcome, the field and did I have a good time.
Having attended the AJR 9 times (I started flying jets 10 years ago), if I were to be in the country, I'd be there again this year.
It seems that one group, and separately, one individual had some problems at the field. Loosing a plane in this scenario sucks, but see my comment about another event 2500 miles away, two months before......Didn't read anything about it on the web, and had a great time there again this year.
I just looked at how much I have written...sorry! So my two cents is it's a great group of folks, a nice field (though with lousy off field terrain [8D]) and they try their damnest to provide a good time for all!
Greg
Old 11-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Austin Goodwin
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the kind words gents. If everybody can come, have a good time and go home with their airplanes intact, I'm happy. That's pretty much happened last year but the atmosphers at least at the club level was a little tainted. It was proposed that a jet event be started at the Sun Valley Fliers field but like all the clubs, it's hard to get enough people to run it and It seems to have been put on the back burner.
If not before I hope to see you all at the Tucson event.
Austin
Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Matt
I will be taking pictures, 800 feet is a lot of tarmac but those Overruns can be costly. If I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck, so I'll be Mr Nikon for a day or two. Planning on test flighting the panther this week at SVF in north Phoenix.Next year prehaps if the "Panther" is still taking pictures and I have more experience.
Semper Fi
Joe

Old 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
davisf
My Feedback: (20)

There are many pre entries from California. Must be from the rest of the State?

Any one know why this group of malcontents are boycotting? There were NO, ZERO, problems with anything last year. Everyone that attended had a great time!

And where do I find the boycott list?

Davis Fiedler, AMA, Jet Rally CD
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 PM
davisf
My Feedback: (20)

We all know that there are radio interference transients that we all have to deal with. We all know that when a plane goes down due to a radio conflict problem, the line is irregular and may be marked by periodic control as your transmitter regains control momentarily. How many crashes have been blamed on radio interferrence when the plane went down just as smooth and pretty as could be until the plane ran out of sky?

We should also realize that thermals and wind gusts can do strange things to our flight path!

These transients usually do NOT cause crashes because there is plenty of time for us to recover from the momentary glitch.

Three years ago the problem was not radio interferrence per se, but some of the engines were shutting off if there was a ONE second loss of signal. Normally this would not even be noticed but the fail safe was shutting off the engine and the jets don't glide well.

This has subsqeuntly been addressed by going to a TWO second loss of signal delay.

I don't fly jets so if you say that 750 feet is not enough runway, OK. It seems to me that is a pilot issue (using the 750 feet) not a radio issue. If you can't safely land in the 750 feet, then I wouldn't want you to fly on a short field.

There are a lot of events through out the year. We host Gunsmoke (no radio problems reported) and just hosted the 1/8 Airforce (very expensive, labor intensive aircraft of all sizes and kinds). No radio problems were reported. I have been flying at the field for two years and can honestly say that I don't know of anyone that has lost a plane to Random Transient (EVIL) Radio Interferrence. Hereafter called RT(E)RI. OR "ruterie" for short. This should be used as a verb in context such as "ruterie you.) Or, it can be used as a noun, such as, "I hope the ruterie gets you!)

If you can't make it to the Rally, sorry to miss you. I hope yhou have fun where you do go. But...if you have to try to destroy other peoples fun or events by unsubstantiated BS, perhaps a therapist could help you have a happier life?

And...if you can make it...we will do everything we can to make it a memorable event and one that you will look forward to attending next year.

Thanks,

Davis Fiedler, AJR CD
Old 11-05-2006, 06:59 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Nobody is crying about the length of the runway! Five of the best pilots in the biz with top notch equipment and aircraft don't all of a sudden peel off to the left or push the nose hard over and say. Let's crash my jet.. There were issues that year and it was a problem. Nobody is boycotting your rally.
End of story.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 AM
rjbob

Is there a flyer for this event?

I may be able to make a last minute schedule change and fly on down to where it's warm Friday and Saturday.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:52 AM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

DELETED, Sorry for the distraction from this great event
Old 11-16-2006, 01:06 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

WHOA- Now that is a make em feel at home friendly attitude. Scott
Old 11-16-2006, 01:20 AM
micp

m
Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 AM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Amen!!!! I agree, Adios Mesa Jets
Old 11-16-2006, 02:53 AM
hobbygroup

Here is the link to the events Flyer http://www.azmodelaviators.com/Jet%2...Rally%2006.pdf

"a bunch of non-members " However, after reading micp's post I will think twice before I drive the 300+ miles on Friday

I sure don't want to take-up his flying time.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:29 AM
uncljoe

In reading micp post,as non club member and driving 2500 miles, I'm wondering whether I can get my early entry fee returned , as I am not welcome .[]
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM
attacker

I believe that you will find the opinion that micp has shared is not the view of the majority of club members who really do like to see this event happen every year. It is enjoyed for the excitement it brings that's the reason we have such a hard time controlling our own members from just trying to get inside the pits just to sit!.

There is no discussion of this falling off of the event list no matter what a few would like you all to think! Let it be the last time that this is brought up...

We always strive to make this event the best it can be and realize that all most all of those attending are guests. Even those who do fly Jets in the club realize little flying during the event time since they help run the event, which I think is probably the same all over (where 5% of the club does 80% of the work).

You all have to make up your minds in your own way, but know that you will be welcomed if attending!

Gary Porter
Board Member (..and never bored)
Arizona Model Aviators

Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

MICP wrote: There are less than 5 members that fly jets so we end up closing the field for 3 days for 5 members a bunch of non-members

Geez, you must be their PR guy for the event. Arggghhh
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
attacker

...and there are even less who fly Scale, and yet we have hosted the U.S. Scale Masters events as well as run an annual Scale Master qualifier each year. There are grumblings and there will always be grumblings...

IMAC also wants to hold the AZ Championships at the field next year.. ..and you guessed it, not that many club members compete.

We do it because of the interests and diversification of our members. You never know what that next itch may be!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 AM
charlieoneseven

The only time I attended that event there was a terrible cross wind. Not much of an issue for the heavy metal but the lighter sport jets had to crab really hard or just take off at an angle. Good luck this year guys, I know how hard it is to ask club members to put on an event and stand down to collect fees or work crowd control at the pits all weekend.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
P. Richards

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

micp Is definitely not the public relations guy for this event, heck our field gets closed for IMAC and trainer days etc. If you don't fly for two weeks big deal purchase real flight you can fly 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. Arizona Jet Rally has been a great event no matter who boycotts it. The staff is very friendly and dedicated to run a safe event for all. They brought out several scanners to make sure radio hits would not be a problem. Each event has there own set of crashes somedays you eat the bear somedays the bear eats you. Due to the fact that my aircraft is not completed I will not be attending this year, however I will be attending the electric rally.

P. Richards aka Swat Team
[/size]
[/size]
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: davisf
Three years ago the problem was not radio interferrence per se, but some of the engines were shutting off if there was a ONE second loss of signal. Normally this would not even be noticed but the fail safe was shutting off the engine and the jets don't glide well.

This has subsqeuntly been addressed by going to a TWO second loss of signal delay.

Ummm ... if there was no interference, then why were people experiencing a one second loss of signal ?

If you have to increase the failsafe timeout in order to be able to keep flying, then IMO you DO have a problem, and you are simply 'masking' it more with the increased timeout. I can just hear the lawyers now... "So, you knew that there was an interference problem, but you went ahead and flew anyway, and in order to do so you even deliberately made changes to increase the period during which the aircraft is outwith your control before the safety features kick in ?"

I've never been to your meet, and I have absolutely nothing against you guys - I'm simply pointing out that your statements here don't quite seem to add up in my opinion.

Gordon

Old 11-16-2006, 12:17 PM
rjbob

ORIGINAL: micp

I am kinda hoping this event will not contiune after this year. There are less than 5 members that fly jets so we end up closing the field for 3 days for 5 members a bunch of non-members and the other 200 of us get to work or watch . The club does make a few bucks but I would gladly pay an extra 2 or three bucks a year so I could fly this weekend. As a member who was busy last weekend I am unable to fly for two weeks in a row because a bunch of guys I don't know want to come to my field. Don't get me wrong I am fine with events if there is a reasonable representation of the membership with an interest in the event. While the club takes pride in the event I don't know that it meets the mission of the organization. I love the club and feel everyone is sincere and love the hobby but this tradition is one that we may want to let go.
I would bet that this "bunch of non members" pay more per day to fly at your field than any of the members. I would also guess that those in your club who help out with the event choose to do so. It has got to be a fact that there are more than 5 members who LOVE this event and really look forward to it. And I am certain that the publicity for the meet brings out spectators of which some will end up taking up R/C and joining your club.

I've only been to 2 jet rallies but in over 45 years of model flying and attending/competing at contests, I have never (except for Scalemasters, TOC, and Top Gun) seen the spectator draw compare to a jet rally. I have admittedly not yet been to The Arizona Jet Rally but I wouldn't think it would be any different.

I love to compete in just about all R/C events but how many funfly contests will a spectator pay $5.00 for parking?

I REALLY hope I'll be able to adjust my schedule so I can be there Friday and Saturday.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

micp does not speak for the membership PERIOD

I can only speak from the standpoint of me and the people I generally fly with. But I gurantee micp does not speak for us.

Personally I think comments like that should be limited to board meetings and not thrown out in an open forum.

I will be going to the Jet rally to spectate and help out if needed, looking forward to it.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:53 PM
hobbygroup

ORIGINAL: AGR413

micp does not speak for the membership PERIOD

I can only speak from the standpoint of me and the people I generally fly with. But I gurantee micp does not speak for us.

Personally I think comments like that should be limited to board meetings and not thrown out in an open forum.

I will be going to the Jet rally to spectate and help out if needed, looking forward to it.
I agree, micp if you are not happy with your club tell them not us.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 PM
micp

I do not speak for the club and don't pretend too. I stated clearly that these are my opinions and did not state anyone was unwelcome. In hindsight I should have kept my thoughts to myself as it is clear that the comments were a distraction for some. I am a fan of jets and will attend the event as a spectator. I will share my concerns with the board and not make them a part of this post. I apologize for any negative impression that I may have left. BTW nobody asked me to apologize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.