Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AeroLoft Dry Transfer Problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AeroLoft Dry Transfer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroLoft Dry Transfer Problem

Has anyone else experienced problems with AeroLoft dry transfers. I ordered a set for a JL F-18 "Blue Angels" earlier this year and when I went to install them, they were very difficult to burnish onto the surface (I have had lots of previous experience in dry transfers). Some of the larger transfers would partially stick and then crack and separate, making them impossible to use. A buddy ordered a set about the same time I did, but for a different scheme F-18 and he experienced the very same type problems. He had used AeroLoft's transfers before on his Eurosport with good results, but both of the sets this time were totally unusable. Repeated e-mails have left us both without usable transfers or refunds....just a lot of back and forth excuses. First excuse was we waited to long to contact them (90 days), then they were lost in the mail (Priority Mail), then the missing package mysteriously showed up today at my office with the word "RETURN" written across the envelope. Dave and I are out $300 between the two of us...and I guess its our fault from the responses I have been getting. Go figure.

Richard[:@][:@]
Old 11-03-2006, 03:12 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: AeroLoft Dry Transfer Problem

I have heard of some problems with Aeroloft transfers before from several people, but I can say that the set I got a few months back worked perfectly. They went on fine, took the clear coat very well, and look awesome.

I say that because it will at least give you an indication that they can work. That being said, they did tell me that they are very suceptable to aging, that they use different adheasives for different times of year (because of temperature sensitivity), and that they should NOT be stored flat in the period before being used. I would keep after them and see if you can get them to send you a fresh set...

I should also add that I used some Promark on my Eurosport and they did not work as well - most likely because I did something wrong, but again, it goes to show that nothing is "perfect"...

Bob
Old 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experiences with Aeroloft is that their transfers are fine - it's their service (or lack thereof) that sucks.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:06 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Aeroloft transfers usually go on very well when new. If they sit for very long they get difficult to transfer. The trick is to use a little heat on them and they will usually go on fine. I used a Monokote Trim iron set on low to burnish on some transfers that were severaL years old.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:50 PM
JET FX

Speaking as a one time customer, Yes I also found the service very slow and the transfer quality very sub standard to point of being unusable i.e. colour bleed, low resoloution image and thats for some tiger tail art work I payed a small fortune for Aeroloft to make up for my Belguim AD F-16.
I would not even consider using them for a sport model it was so bad..... maybe some of the easier to produce small nomenclature they seem to make may be ok but from my personal experiance forget any larger art work.....

In my opinion you may want to seriously consider making up your own decals using inkjet water slide decal paper.... this way you can control quality colour and sharpeness, resolution and size accurately. I have used the home made decal process now for a number of years with great success and have saved lots of $$ and greif in the process and made exactly what I wanted.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Jet FX

Speaking as a one time customer, Yes I also found the service very slow
I *wish* speed had been the only issue...

In my case, I sent a decal sheet and asked for the contents to be enlarged. Not only did it take much longer than quoted for the transfers to arrive, but when they did eventually arrive and I started putting them on, I found out that many were wrong (e.g. someting done in yellow that should have been black), the number supplied of each decal was frequently wrong (e.g only getting 3 of a decal that there should have been 8 of - that kinda thing), and a bunch were simply missing altogether. The list of things that were wrong with the decals ran to something like 6 closely typed pages.

When I got an answer from Aeroloft about the missing decals, I was advised that their approach was "If I couldn't make out what the decal was, I didn't bother printing it" (which, of course. they failed to disclose before accepting the order) and when I asked when they would send me the rest of the decals for the cases where they sent the wrong number or the wrong color, the abrupt response was "Not until you pay us more money". I pointed out that I had paid the full amount that they had quoted me for the full job, and that they owed me the rest of the decals. They refused to budge and would not correct their mistakes. In the end, since I determined that they had supplied about half of the decals that they should have, I got Visa to charge-back half of the fee. Aerloft objected and said a few nasty things to me on the phone, but Visa found in my favor.

Since then, I have found many more people who have had orders wrongly filled by Aeroloft (including one "Miss Marilyn" image that was custom made, with some weird looking flat-chested woman with black hair instead of blonde ... typical of the Aeroloft approach which seems to be "we'll send what we feel like rather than what you order"). The attitude exhibited by Cindy in email or phone conversations also left an awful lot to be desired.

It's kinda amazing that they are still in business, based on the number of complaints I've heard.

At the same time as I was having decal order screwed up by Aeroloft, I had a bunch of vinyl artwork done for me by Bryan of http://www.aerographix.biz/ - what a study in complete opposites that was - Bryan the consumate professional who did everything right and knew how to win repeat customers and referals, vs Cindy who IMO behaved as if she had constant PMS.

Gordon

Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Goosefly
My Feedback: (2)

I have used the Aeroloft transfers at least a dozen times. You need to use a heat gun to warm the surface just a bit ( maybe 5-7 seconds) and then use a beveled popsicle stick to transfer the decal. Use a piece of masking tape at the top of the transfer to make sure it does't move. I'm sure if you call Cindi she will take care of you 480-380-4779. Good luck Mike
Old 11-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Richard-RCU

Gordon is absolutley on the button when he stated that Cindy is very short and curt with her responses. "It must be your fault....you waited to long to apply them...you don't know how to apply them....you didn't ask for help quick enough...they were lost in the mail....we didn't receive them back"..on and on and on. I bet when she was in school the "dog ate her homework". I have been using dry transfers since a company named Chart Pac first developed them in the late 60's so I know how to apply them (boy, that ages me doesn't it). Besides my problem, my buddy Dave had the exact problem with his transfers purchased a month later than mine. The transfers would crack and split apart when you began to burnish them. I have a burnishing tool made specific for dry transfers....light heat did not help...nothing could salvage them. They were total junk and Cindy will not do anything about it. I have since replaced them with graphics from AeroGraphxs and they worked great. The F-18 is finished and I am going to move on but I have learned another $150 lesson of life that there are people in this hobby who really don't care about their product or reputation, it's just about making a buck.

Richard
Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

WOW,

For a while there I thought I was the only one who had had problems with Cindy. The product I got from them was actually very good except for one small error in size on one part of the order. This is where the real problems started to occur. Attempting to deal with her for replacement, even though she admitted it was her fault, was like going to war! She seems to believe that the relationship between her and the customer is an adversarial one!

I've ordered graphics from Germany and gotten better response and service!! Needless to say I'll not do business with her again! Too bad, as I said, my experience with the product itself was very good!

David S
Old 11-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Austin Goodwin
My Feedback: (2)

I've found that the type of paint has something to do with how the graphics stick. They don't seem to like laquer paints. That is paints that dry real fast. They seem to produce less of a smooth surface. Try a light, wet sanding of the surface along with the other things mentioned prior to application.
Austin
Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard
If you want dry transfers , go to PRO MARK they work the first time & all the time. Tried aerolofts products and was disappointed. IMO Customer service is not their strong point,

Semper Fi
joe
Old 11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Richard-RCU

Thanks Joe....I will give them try next time.

Richard
Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Funny I used Aero's decals too, found you have to have the surface warm for them to stick well, first order the numbers were wrong called them and they had me send back the wrong ones and the new ones showed up about two weeks later, not bad, yeah the lady did'nt sound happy but did send me new ones. I called promark first but they did'nt even want to discuss decals and were more rude the Aeroloft and I've heard at promark unlkess your a big name guy you'll get squat and that was my impression too. here is the decals..it's up for slae in RCU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52707.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	555495  
Old 11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used Aeroloft 3 times, no issues at all. Worked perfect and looked really good. I did not use heat to apply, then again, it was probably 120F in my garage when I applied them.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 AM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I've used Aeroloft 3 times, no issues at all. Worked perfect and looked really good. I did not use heat to apply, then again, it was probably 120F in my garage when I applied them.

Oh, I see.......... you had your air conditioner on......sweet!

David Hudson

Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

You know that is probably so true because the first time I tried the decals I forgot about the temp and it was hell..then a few days later it was about 100 out and BAM! they flew on and just formed into the knicks and crannies and just looked perfect..so having warm room or model is critical.
Also I have used decal leftovers months later and they still work fine, I do store them well, So theres something!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:36 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Never understood the advantage of dry transfers over good quality water transfer decals.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM
FalconWings

E.T., there is really none. Both work great if you know what you are doing. Problem is, very few people make water transfers. I only know of Tailormade in Germany.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-07-2006, 09:58 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Never understood the advantage of dry transfers over good quality water transfer decals.
For me, dry transfers are easier to install.
Waterslides have to be cut out and then all the lettering lined up while applying.
Dry transfer you just tape the transfer sheet over the model and rub them all on
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

I have used Aeroloft transfers for both my Eagle and Falcon, no problems at all. I used their burnishing tool on a boat load of rivits on my Eagle at room temp and on my falcon so maybe its technique? As far a customer service, Cindy has been good to me, she even sent me another transfer after I dorked one up for not charge. Their prices I feel are fair too, Pro-Mark wanted over $400.00 to do this scheme on my F-16 were Aeroloft was less than half and they had them already in their computer ready to make. Excellent quality and a fair price, good customer service too.

mb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30017.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	555823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37862.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	555824  
Old 11-07-2006, 11:14 AM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: Mark Basel

Pro-Mark wanted over $400.00 to do this scheme on my F-16

[X(]

Did you call the cops?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: grbaker

For me, dry transfers are easier to install.
Waterslides have to be cut out and then all the lettering lined up while applying.
Dry transfer you just tape the transfer sheet over the model and rub them all on

You don't have to cut out every letter, that way only the entire slide needs to be aligned (i've done a waterslide the size of US-letter format without problems and without it being visible). Plus you have about 2 minutes to walk away from the plane, have a look, readjust, walk away again....until they are right on. There is more room to correct the mistakes.

As to cutting: i make waterslides myself (same type Ralle at tailormade is doing, we are using the same machines), and am considering to buy a cutting plotter so that the decals come pre-cut. I have a project with over 500 insignias, cutting by hand would be very very nervewrecking....

Best regards
Hank
Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Mark Basel

Pro-Mark wanted over $400.00 to do this scheme on my F-16

[X(]

Did you call the cops?

LOL ! I'd rather pay $400 and get all of the decals I ordered (in a timely manner), than pay half the price and get sent some arbitrary subset of the decals that Cindy unilaterally decides I ought to make do with instead.

Paying a reduced price, and getting half the decals, is no bargain IMO ... when one wing has the correct decals on it and the other is missing most of those markings ... you may well wish you had paid for a more professional job.

Besides, the Aeroloft decals would have cost me about that much anyway, if I had allowed her to practically double the cost after the fact like she tried to do -- charging me a set fee for the full job, eventually delivering half of it, and then insisting on substantial extra fees to correct her mistakes and supply the hordes of decals that she had missed out.

Gordon
Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
FalconWings

Yeap, they really screwed you Gordon.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
PhilLin

I agree with grBaker, that dry transfers are much easier to install compared to the wet kind; especially when the wet transfers get up in size, eg 4.5" diameter stars & bars. Even after pre-coating with clear, the big pieces still get too soft & tend to break on me. Perhaps some of you can share your technique for handling same?

I also had a small problem when ordering from Aeroloft. But I can't really say it was their fault as I attributed it to miscommunication, when the decals enlarged from an image of 1/72 decal set I sent in came back the wrong size. Next time I order a set, I intend to place a tape measure beside the 1/72 decal set before scanning, & hope it helps to fix the size.

Oh yeah, I was able to buy a burnishing tool with several size tips from the local Hobby-Lobby (the other one) store for a reasonable price. It made rubbing dry transfers very easy.

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.