Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powermax fuel hard to find

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powermax fuel hard to find

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM
flyexperimental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powermax fuel hard to find

I can not find any Powermax fuel in my town.The few places online I have tried to order, after about a week they send an e-mail saying not available.Where are you guys getting it at?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Powermax fuel hard to find

I am not, I use Wildcat Jet-A and kerosenemixed with 3% turbine oil. LOL
Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Terry,
Have you been drinking again? He is asking about Coleman Powermax.

Fly,
It has been getting harder to find lately. In the Detroit area REI and one of the Dick's Sporting Goods carry it. Try REI if there is one near you. Call all of the sporting goods and camping stores in your area. It can be ordered directly from Coleman, but you have to order a case and pay hazardous shipping charges which drives the cost up a bit.

Joe
Old 11-10-2006, 09:42 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I just ordered some from here.

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...14&search.y=13

Marty
Old 11-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Terry,
Have you been drinking again? He is asking about Coleman Powermax.

Joe
Ha Ha...............No, I was thinking glow fuel , My bad. I get mine from the Coleman camper store here in the fort,, for the Ram. The Wren doesn't use it. They use the regular camper propane in the green cans.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Gander Mountain stores in the camping section. Cabela's also if you have one in your area.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
flyexperimental

The link above looks like the web sites that I tried to order some from last week.They had different store names but when I went to check out it looked like the same site.After asking the second place I ordered it from what the shipping status was they replied we are still out,just as we were last week when you ordered.I will try to order from the above link,but I am afraid it is the same peaple I have tried to get it from before,even though the bis. name is different.I have checked Dicks sporting goods here in town they don't have it.We had another large sporting goods store but they are history.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM
CARBUNCLE

[link]http://www.4siteoutdoors.com/noname13.html[/link] ...not sure if they have any.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:31 PM
afterburner

All I can tell you is that I ordered six cans on Nov 7 and on the 8th I received an email that it shipped and I have UPS tracking#.

Marty
Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't know if they are nationwide, but I get mine from Academy, a sports/outdoor store.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
flyexperimental

Thanks guys .I will give one or two of the above sites a try,pretty soon I will probally have it coming from everywhere.I would rather have too much than none at all.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Big 5 Sporting Goods has it.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 11-11-2006, 01:03 AM
slick121985
My Feedback: (3)

My local outdoor world stocks it by the boatload, along with the campgaz brand ( same stuff but blue can, different shape, and no clunk so you have to invert it to fill onboard tank. I could send you a bunch of it if you would like. As a side note, it's not "Correct" but you can refill the Powermax can with regular propane at a reduced pressure. It's a lot cheaper. The plastic jetcat barb and a propane adaptor is all thats needed. (The trigger valve won't work, there's a check valve in it). put the powermax can in the fridge then fill it from a regular propane can similar to the way you fill onboard tank (when flow slows......). the transfer itself yields a lower pressure, just as filling the onboard tank does. Anyway if you want the right stuff I wish you luck finding it, and i'd be more thn happy to send you some. Can't have a fellow pilot grounded. Best wishes, Greg Murphy
Old 11-11-2006, 09:50 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Greg,

Not to be a PIA, but how you fill the can has no bearing on how much pressure the Propane will generate if you actually transfer liquid to the empty tank - its all about the type of gas and its natural partial pressure. I.e., if you get liquid Propane in the can, then the pressure it generates when some of it turns into gas to fill the can is simply a function of the type of gas it is and the temperature. Propane will work fine when its cold, but when it warms up, it will generate over 150 PSI in the lines and usually cause them to blow off. That's why Jetcat uses Powermax. Its Propane/Butane mix ratio generates a partial pressure (when its warm) of around 100-120 PSI. Still, its not unusual for the lines to leak with Powermax when the temp. gets up in the triple digits.

Of course you can easily use straight Propane if you have a pressure regulator downstream of the tank. This lets out just gas until the pressure downstream reaches the regulated value. Of course using one of these means that you'll get only gas in the on-board tank which will limit the number of starts you can get from the on-board tank or mean that you'll run out of Propane from it if the start takes longer than normal. That's why engines that use straight Propane usually are started directly from the off-board Propane tank. Dreamworks has a regulated fill valve for Propane:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=774

Bob
Old 11-11-2006, 09:57 AM
flyexperimental

If I don't find some soon I will pm you and have you send me a case.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 10:03 AM
flyexperimental

I have not let this ground me.After reading that powermax is a mixture of propane and butane.I used a bottle of butane that is used to refill lighters and small mini torches it seems to work fine(three flights so far)perameters on the start box seem to be normal.But I prefer to use what I am told to use.Turbines are not cheap I don't want to damage anything.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I used butane in the beginning as well..no issues as long as you can get the festo tubing over the nipple without freezing your fingers... I used Powermax for a couple of years but starts were problematic...we almost always had to leave the container hooked up to the onboard tank and give it a boost during the start cycle (especially in cooler weather). I've also used the mixed prop /but camping gas, but by far the best results have been on plain ordinary Coleman propane using a Great Northern regulating valve....

Of course, your mileage may vary, but that has been my experience.....
Old 11-11-2006, 02:31 PM
flyexperimental

Thanks again, I now realize that propane is an option.My Boomerang /T500 turbine is set up with a single start gas cylinder(small co2 cartridge)so starting with coleman propane offboard tank is not an inconvenance to me and will give me more than one option.I also allready have a regulated cap with 1/8 nipple for the small propane tanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

BTW, we were having a bit of a problem starting the Jetcats when they were cold (around 35-40 degrees F) and I called Bob Wilcox about it (he was the one that said 35-40 degrees was cold - apparently they never have to start them that cold in CA ). He said that propane was fine to start the Jetcats on when it was cold. With its higher partial pressure and higher BTU content, the propane gives the engine a bigger boost when its cold and they will start easier according to Bob.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:59 PM
slick121985
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the correction bob, on watch for 16 strait hours in the wee hours of the mourning will mess with your head, and i do use a regulated valve. Thanks, Greg
Old 11-12-2006, 05:11 PM
flyexperimental

Marty,I ordered some powermax from the link you gave me above they sent me a reply saying it was in stock and will ship monday.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 05:20 PM
afterburner

Glad to hear you've got GAS ......on the way.

Marty
Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I get Powermax locally at a Bass Pro shop.