Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Why is called a turbine waiver?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Why is called a turbine waiver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 04:34 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is called a turbine waiver?

I know this is kinda anal but why is it called a turbine waiver? It seems to me that it should be called a turbine license.

Waiver - the act of intentionally relinquishing or abandoning a known right, claim, or privilege; also : the legal instrument evidencing such an act

License - 1 a : permission to act b : freedom of action
2 a : a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful b : a document, plate, or tag evidencing a license granted

I was wondering if anyone could explain this to me....you dont get a waiver to drive a car. Are we giving up rights in order to be able to fly turbines. I thought the idea was to secure rights, freedom and fun.

Also, with it being called a waiver it would seem that you would not be covered by AMA insurance in the case of an accident. You would actually waive that benefit.

A license on the otherhand would grant or guarantee coverage in the case of an incident. (assuming you were operating within the limitations of the license)

I just dont get it.
Old 02-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EXACTLY!!!!!

I have been asking myself that same question for awhile now! This may sound even more anal but when I first heard "waiver" , I thought it meant that the AMA would not be responsible for anything related to it!
How's that? Tells you how much I know about turbines but I'm learning!
Myles
Old 02-08-2002, 05:39 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why is called a turbine waiver?

Originally posted by mdlav8r
I know this is kinda anal but why is it called a turbine waiver? It seems to me that it should be called a turbine license.
Yes - the terminology is kinda confusing, but I think they borrowed it from elsewhere...

When I was flying full-size many moons ago, I used a "Low Altitude Waiver" to allow me to do aerobatics down to 400 ft.
In this case the term "waiver" meant that the relevant authorities were waiving the normal restrictions, not that they were washing their hands of me.

I think that the AMA's terminology is similarly meant to indicate that a "normal" member is prohibited from flying turbines, but that this restriction is waived for anyone who holds a "turbine waiver". i.e think if it in terms of restrictions, not in terms of coverage.

I could be wrong tho... (I hate it when that happens!)

Regs,
Gorodn
Old 02-08-2002, 05:42 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

It is specifically called a waiver because in the bylaws of the AMA turbines are prohibited. It was easier for the AMA to introduce the waiver system than it was to change the bylaws. Or so I have been told.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:18 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Duh, makes sense now I can see what you mean from the AMA's standpoint.
Thanks guys.
Cheers.