Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TITAN OR MERLIN?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TITAN OR MERLIN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TITAN OR MERLIN?

isnt the merlin and the rhino the same motor?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pilott34

ORIGINAL: CARBUNCLE

I had a friend with a super eagle, it was in for service more than it was in the air..[&o]

So if it is that clear to you...why did you create this thread? Sounds to me like you already had your mind made up...

Maybe before you have a go at him, you could try actually READING his post that started the thread ?

Gordon
Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM
CARBUNCLE

Thnx
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
pilott34

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: CARBUNCLE

I had a friend with a super eagle, it was in for service more than it was in the air..[&o]

So if it is that clear to you...why did you create this thread? Sounds to me like you already had your mind made up...

Maybe before you have a go at him, you could try actually READING his post that started the thread ?

Gordon
I did read the post. First he asked about the Merlin vs the Titan. Then he figures out that the Merlin is essentially a Rhino. Then starts making statements about the Eagle, which are yet to be substantiated. What part did I miss Gordon? I personally own both brands of engines and can make conclusions about each...do you??
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
CARBUNCLE

maybe so, but as I stated before, this thread was started in hopes of discussion about just titans and merlins.. I'm not interested in any info other than about these 2..... thnx anyway..
Old 11-29-2006, 06:48 PM
CARBUNCLE

I don't really know where it was here that it seemed I figured out that merlins are essentially rhinos, since I knew that already..The important difference to me is that rhinos are made by artes and merlins are not.. and I made "a" statement about the eagle that I witnessed with problems after wojtek suggested a rhino, which I'm not interested in.. that is my opinion and I don't really feel the need to prove what I saw... and again, this thread was started hopefully for gentlemanly discusion on just merlins and titans, and not other brands of motors or their similarities.. plz guys, lets not turn this into an arguing session... life is to short, I don't have time for it. everyone has their own favorite products and opinions.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did read the post. First he asked about the Merlin vs the Titan. Then he figures out that the Merlin is essentially a Rhino. Then starts making statements about the Eagle, which are yet to be substantiated. What part did I miss Gordon? I personally own both brands of engines and can make conclusions about each...do you??
I seems, though, that you chose to make a smart a s s e d remark instead offering "conclusions" gleaned from your vast storehouse of practial knowledge.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen,

This post was originally a comparison between the Merlin and the JetCat Titan. In MY EXPERIENCE with the 10 Titans sold between Oct. 05 - Nov. 06 not a single customer has reported a problem. True, I am a dealer ( www.helijet.ca ) for JetCat and personally run a Titan in my ( now sold ) KingCat and scale Eurofighter. Hence, I felt that Mr. Wojtek's comments were questionable.

No disrespect towards Mr. Clapp or JetCentral's products or service. Based on customer comments here on RCU I am sure their product is excellent as well.

However, Mr. Wojtek blanket statement that " many Titans" are failing is suspect.

Regards
Dean Wichmann
www.helijet.ca
www.pstna.com
Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I directly know of 3 myself first hand. I have heard of many others. If you won’t to question me, you better find proof to the contrary . I have NO reason to tell fibs. I’m sure most of these engines are just fine ( besides being weak and slow ) , however i have seen too many of these with problems to get one myself ... there are too many competitive options available that are more reliable, have more power, faster spool, and lower price ... I’m not just talking about the JC Rhino here ... The Merlin is another super engine as well, only difference really being the warranty in this case ... Now if you want questionable info, I would say look no further than every other JetCat rep and the false propaganda they spew ..

best regards,

Voy

ORIGINAL: Helijet

Gentlemen,

This post was originally a comparison between the Merlin and the JetCat Titan. In MY EXPERIENCE with the 10 Titans sold between Oct. 05 - Nov. 06 not a single customer has reported a problem. True, I am a dealer ( www.helijet.ca ) for JetCat and personally run a Titan in my ( now sold ) KingCat and scale Eurofighter. Hence, I felt that Mr. Wojtek's comments were questionable.

No disrespect towards Mr. Clapp or JetCentral's products or service. Based on customer comments here on RCU I am sure their product is excellent as well.

However, Mr. Wojtek blanket statement that " many Titans" are failing is suspect.

Regards
Dean Wichmann
www.helijet.ca
www.pstna.com
Old 11-29-2006, 09:02 PM
pilott34

ORIGINAL: sideshow

I seems, though, that you chose to make a smart a s s e d remark instead offering "conclusions" gleaned from your vast storehouse of practial knowledge.

Dont know what remark you are talking about...all I said was that it sounded like he already had his mind made up...nothing more nothing less.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
slick121985
My Feedback: (3)

Gentlemen,

A fellow well renouned modeler once said during a conversation with myself "I don't care what f*****g name is on it, or how it starts, as long as it runs from the time i take off to the time i land my plane. I sincerely hope that all of you, reguardless of engine your flying, have smooth starts and strong relible flights for years to come. I was very intrested in this thread as i was considering one of the mentioned engines. Unfortunately the way in which most of this information has been presented, and the flaming that has insued has left the knowledge i've gained theirin questionable. The resource of this forum for the exchange of experiances is invaluble. Lets not abuse it with petty belittling of a manufacturers product. Not one manufacturer hasn't produced an engine that made a wonderful paperweight, and little else.

Eric,

Your dedication to your product and willingness to correct the inevitable manufacturing glitches that occur in any product impresses me. You've opened my eyes to a product i've never considered, and i may do business with you in the future. You wouldn't happen to give a military discount would you????

Thankyou, Greg Murphy
Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
CARBUNCLE

Actually it was several remarks but thats ok... LOL... I know it is very confusing remembering what the thread is about and what was actually said..[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] .. and may I suggest, to save some of us some wasted time- we all can pm to each other if it does not have anything to do with - TITAN OR MERLIN ?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 PM
CARBUNCLE

ORIGINAL: slick121985

"I don't care what f*****g name is on it, or how it starts, as long as it runs from the time i take off to the time i land my plane.
GOOD POINT, LOL, THNX GREG
Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 PM
arod

Ok Guys, i see there is more of an argument than a reply. Im New to jets and i bought a eurosport. I want to install a engine in the 33 to 36 lb range to have a little more juice for all of those scale things im installing so please some just say: TITAN or MERLIN? which one should i pick cause i really want something thats reliable and good! im a newbe! Thanks to you all experienced jet jocks!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Alexdu
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Titan which was converted from a P-160. Before the conversion it was an unreliable engine, it will flame out if brought to idle then to full throttle. I now have more than 50 flights on my Euro since the upgrade and it has run FLAWLESSLY. It starts everytime I ask her. Jetcat USA did a great job.

Regards

Alex
Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 PM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: slick121985

SNIP

Eric,

Your dedication to your product and willingness to correct the inevitable manufacturing glitches that occur in any product impresses me. You've opened my eyes to a product i've never considered, and i may do business with you in the future. SNIP

DITTO the above.

I have a Digitech turbine (also a Merlin clone I think) and looking at what I got in the box it is great value for money....might be worth a look!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: arod

Ok Guys, i see there is more of an argument than a reply. Im New to jets and i bought a eurosport. I want to install a engine in the 33 to 36 lb range to have a little more juice for all of those scale things im installing so please some just say: TITAN or MERLIN? which one should i pick cause i really want something thats reliable and good! im a newbe! Thanks to you all experienced jet jocks!
The problem is, arod, that its not that simple a question. Wojtek says he's had some bad experiences with the Titan and I've heard a few others say the same. I've also heard many folks say that the Titan has run flawlessly for them, and the one I've had very limited experience with was typical JetCat - runs like a top - as well. The Merlin does have more power, I think that's a fact. I do not however, think its more than 3 lbs. The Merlin probably spools up faster, but Wojtek's statement that the Titan is 8 to 10 seconds is off. The P-120 is JetCats slowest engine and its only about 6 seconds, and that's from idle to full power. If you have the RPM up to as little as 50K RPM, that time comes down to about 3 seconds. I doubt that the Merlin is less than 4 seconds from idle to full power and the 2 to 3 second difference is easy to deal with - it becomes unconcious after awhile. Two years ago, JetCat service was tops in the business - bar NONE. I've heard that has slipped in recent times, but I haven't had to get anything serviced in the past few years so I can't tell you if that's true. Go to a flyin in the US and the majority of the engines you'll see have purple colored noses. That installed base gives you some security that there is a lot of experience out there with these engines and more than likely service from *somewhere* is going to be available in the long haul. If that's important to you, then go with the JetCat. On the other hand, if you want the most power and shortest spoolup time and are willing to live with less "security" as far as long-term product support and resale value, etc. are concerned, go with the Merlin. In reality, its not an easy choice and if I was in the market for an engine in that class I'm not sure what I would go for either. For now, I'm content to scoop up all of those P-120's guys are dumping on the used market for $2500 when they move up I love my old reliable, slow spooling, runs like a Sherman tank P-120's

Bob

Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Robrow

As I was involved in the original design/development of the Merlin I can answer any questions you may have. I have just shipped an engine for a long overdue full test/review of the Merlin in the next issue of RCJI magazine, so the actual figures will be there in black and white.

I can also pm you the email addresses of some of the hundreds of current Merlin flyers who are happy to relate their day to day experience of ownership.

Hope that helps.

Rob.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 AM
unknown

Isn't there some big power differrence between to two? The TITAN was suppose to be a 36# pound engine now its 32. The Merlin is 36 all the way. This comparison between the two does not make any sense.

Sounds to me like you already had your mind made up...
I think so too[8D]
Old 11-30-2006, 06:37 AM
roo

Solve all your problems Guys. Buy an AMT NL Pegasus. ( I also own 3 Jetcats and love them).Paul.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:58 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As we know, any product of any brand could show defects. Wojtek opinion on the Titan is based on what he witnessed and should be taken in consideration, as well the testimony of the guys that are happy with the Titan... as this thread gets bigger and more people shows up giving their experiences (biased or not) with their engines you would be better informed on which turbine suit best your needs.

My personal experience with the Titan was very good. It has the same size and almost the same weight of a P-80 and has a quite low fuel consumption for this thrust range. About the spooling time on the Titan it is slower to reach peak rpm´s than the P-120... however it pushes hard all the way up before reaching 100% rpm, so if your goal is hovering a Rookie as I guess, you wouldn´t be disappointed with this turbine.

Enrique

Old 11-30-2006, 10:43 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I fly a Merlin in a Eurofighter. I HAD a Merlin Mk I and finally burned up the combustion chamber (SS I think). It is now a MkII, but have not had a chance to use it due to being gone.

I do not have a Titan, but have a friend of mine has two that were converted from the older P-160. They work flawlessly, but do not have the same power as the Merlin. Does the Titan start easier than my Merlin, of course, but that may change now with the Mk II; I'll have to wait and see.

You can't go wrong with either one.

George
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

I saw Seanrite fly his KingKat with an early Merlin and it was absolutley sick!

Plus that thing roared at full throttle like no other.
He had a few flaming starts but got all the parameters figured out eventually.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:16 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im curious.
Has anyone put a merlin on the test stand?
Scott
Old 11-30-2006, 01:19 PM
rorywquin

Didn't it recently win a GTBA competition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.