Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Houston Jet Action 1-7-07

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Houston Jet Action 1-7-07

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston Jet Action 1-7-07

Despite the wind some jet flying was done today at Scobee field in Houston. Barry, Jerry and myself showed up today to burn some kero. Barry was first up but had some problems with his turbine in his Reaction 54. My ECU battery finished charging so I took my first hop of the day and actually at that field. It was interesting to see the nitro and gas planes being bounced around from the wind while my Discovery and Jerry's Kangaroo seemed to not even know the wind was blowing.

After I landed Barry tried again but for some reason the turbine would shut down after going to full throttle. Jerry then fueled his Kangaroo and took his first hop of the day. I have to compliment him on his landing as he managed to ride a wheelie on the mains almost 2/3 of the runway. I charged everything up and took my second hop. At this point this was the 4th flight on my new Discovery jet since the maiden on Friday. I really like the ground handling, and in flight performance. I'm still learning how to land as this is so much different then my old Reaper.

Barry tried one more time to get the Reaction 54 in the air after rechecking all the fuel lines and giving all the obvious items a second look over. But the turbine didn't want to stay on at full bore. Lucky for him this issue happened while all 3 wheels were safely on the ground. Jerry refueled and took his second hop of the day. Again he managed to grease the landing. I refueled once more and prepare for my 3rd hop of the day. Again I love the way the Discovery flies. It's big and easy to see in the air. The landing gear is pretty tough and manages to hold up to even some not so perfect landings. This time around I tried landing with full flaps and I actually had the Discovery hovering for a bit before touch down. Believe me it was not planned, but I kept feeding in power to maintain a little forward momentum so I could relax the elevator and put the wheels on the ground. The Discovery's wing is so huge and fat that I'm sure once I get more time with it I can probably do a hover landing. But for now I'm still working on greasing a conventional approach and landing.

It was good to get out and burn some kero with some friends and have a some fun punching holes in the sky. The last time I was out flying was back in September at the Waco event. So I imagine I'm still shaking off some rust. Hope to see everyone again next Sunday.

Oh...Gary and Chuck...well let me just say you both missed out on some great weather and fun.

JR
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Houston Jet Action 1-7-07

well we all didnt have such a great time.[] 14 hours and 36 min of run time on my p60 and not one flame out till today. fuel fail was the description. but no problem could be found, so i pulled her out tonight and will send her in for a check up. i am about to install the p60 in my tam a4 and it is a good time for a check up anyway. i think the real problem was my p60 saw me take delivery of my newest titan and she was jealous. maybe i will maiden my bvm mig next week instead. barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47818.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	593436  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh...Gary and Chuck...well let me just say you both missed out on some great weather and fun
Thanks for rubbing it in.[:@] I hope the weather holds out for next weekend.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Kevin East
My Feedback: (1)

Hello

Sounds like a great time.
Glad to hear the first flight went well !
My p-70 had the same problem, turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.
The Mig looks great Barry !

Kevin
Old 01-08-2007, 09:58 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn! That's a nice Mig-15 Barry!

David
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
AnthonyW

I am going to be in Houston on January 26-28th. Where is Scobie Field. I will be staying in Spring, TX. Also any decent LHS or Jet shops around?
Thanks
Anthony
Old 01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&zipcode=77082

At the end of Challenger Rd.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:23 AM
AnthonyW

Thanks Gary, I will see if I can talk my Father in law in taking a ride one day. I know we are going to go to NASA either Friday or Saturday. Any decent LHS?
Anthony
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

There is Larry's Hobbies up on the North side off I-45 and 1960 I believe. Down South off Nasa Rd 1 and I-45 you have Odessy Hobbies 281-557-1424. You will pass Hobby Center off I-45 South before El Dorado but I'd fore go a stop there because the owner isn't too pleasant.

The weather is calling for rain this coming weekend so I doubt anyone will be flying. As you take the tour bus from Space Center to the Apollo rocket you might get a glimps of Nasa's R/C field. Although you can't gain access to it unless you are a member and have a badge to get through security.

JR
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

anthony, give me a page and maybe, weather permitting, we will go to scobee and fly or come over and hang out at the "place to be", that is my hobby room for those that dont know. barry 713 415 6637