Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 2.4 gig radios

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 2.4 gig radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts
Default JR 2.4 gig radios

Spread spectrum 2.4 ghx radio seems to be here in the form of the Spectrum 7 and I spent an hour or two on the web this morning loooking at various comments about it, generally VERY favourable and decided to buy one to test in my Wren44/Savex L39 and Nimbus 4 sailplanes. However ,I also took a look at the Macgregor site (www.macgregor.co.uk/ the UK JR importers) and they have a January news letter just posted. They announce that JR will be releasing their own 2.4 Ghz radio this year ! Also posted are pictures of the new JR PCM12X radio exhibited at Tokyo late last year. Now, a 2.4 radio in a JR 10 or 12 format is something to REALLY look forward to ! I have used JR since 1980 and have never been less than delighted with a new JR release so it should be very good.

Also posted are pictures of three new JR servos. Exciting times !

Regards,

David Gladwin.

PS. Nothing about this on the Horizon site but THEY still dont even mention the JR8711 servo, yet I got mine in Australia (O'Reilly Model Products ) last October !
Old 01-12-2007, 09:43 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 2.4 gig radios

Hi David:
Excellent news, I am just now starting a yellow F-14 and a 12 channel will come in handy, I received the old Multiplex radio with the deal all was new but all is in German so needless to say by the time the plane gets done hopefully the radio will be available. Thanks for the update

Dave
ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Spread spectrum 2.4 ghx radio seems to be here in the form of the Spectrum 7 and I spent an hour or two on the web this morning loooking at various comments about it, generally VERY favourable and decided to buy one to test in my Wren44/Savex L39 and Nimbus 4 sailplanes. However ,I also took a look at the Macgregor site (www.macgregor.co.uk/ the UK JR importers) and they have a January news letter just posted. They announce that JR will be releasing their own 2.4 Ghz radio this year ! Also posted are pictures of the new JR PCM12X radio exhibited at Tokyo late last year. Now, a 2.4 radio in a JR 10 or 12 format is something to REALLY look forward to ! I have used JR since 1980 and have never been less than delighted with a new JR release so it should be very good.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

PS. Nothing about this on the Horizon site but THEY still dont even mention the JR8711 servo, yet I got mine in Australia (O'Reilly Model Products ) last October !
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

David

Don't hold your breath on JR 2.4....it could be a long year

Dave
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
David Gladwin

I fully accept that Dave, but at least its now official and in the public domain ! (www.macgregor.co.uk/newsletters/jan07.pdf)
Regards,
David.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Robrow

Is the Spectrum not made by JR anyway ?

Rob.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Dave Wilshere

David

Yes, but people hold off buy new stuff...and get disappointed with a long wait!

Dave
Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Good question Rob. The DX7 radio is made by JR in their Malaysian plant under License to Horizon using the US Company Spectrum's Proprietary design. From what I understand Horizon Licensed the 7202 radio programing from JR.
David is stating that now that JR will produce their own version of SS technology (maybe under license) in their new high end systems
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

like the the,,, god I waited a long time,,, I am glad Jetcat got it together, but like David said I trust and have used JR for 20 years
ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

David

Dave
Old 01-12-2007, 02:43 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

The problem with spread spectrum is that I won't be able to say "I got hit" to explain all my bad landings!! Which are often!![8D]

Raf
Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

David

Dave

I for one am going to hold off buying a new radio until JR or Futaba bring out a spread spectrum set. Still might get the DX7 to play with in the mean time.

Jason
Old 01-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Dave Wilshere

J

I'm sure your mother told you about using the F word

D

Old 01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

He is some good reading on the DX7.

V..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4888165/tm.htm
Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Eric Banner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jason

I for one am going to hold off buying a new radio until JR or Futaba bring out a spread spectrum set. Still might get the DX7 to play with in the mean time.

Jason
Hi Jason,

Just bought a DX7 to play with! I'll fit it in my Boomerang tomorrow and fly Sunday!

Definitely JR, typified by "opposite" expo and -ve centre Tx charge socket! Looks good though and can manage with 7 channels.

I needed to use two mixers to disable steering (Aux2) via the retract switch. Anyone have a better DX7 solution for this?

Regards,
Eric
Old 01-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Robrow

Hi Eric, taking a serious look at this radio myself, only limiting factor for me and probably lots of other jet flyers is the 7 channel aspect. I'm used to having 12 channels with more or less every servo having it's own Rx socket/channel

Not sure why you need to disable the steering via the retract switch, I had a Roo once which used gyro stabilised steering and to stop it draining the battery with wheels retracted I used an oleo actuated micro switch in one of the steering servo power lines.

Rob.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:10 AM
mick15

Me too Rob, I used one to disable the steering and another to operate the gear doors.

m
Old 01-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Eric Banner

Hi Rob,

Yes, only seven channels are very limiting. However it’s O.K with my B/I as the ailerons are on a Y lead and I don’t use brakes. This gives the 1 –4 standard, 5 retracts, 6 (Aux1) flaps, 7 (Aux2) steering.

Steering is disabled via software just for ease of installation and relability. Both rudder and steering servos are plugged directly into the receiver.

The DX7 manual (page 58) shows that the “Gear” switch is available within a mixer. Since my last post I’ve discovered that this doesn’t appear to be the case for mixers 1,2,5 and 6. “Gear” is only available, as a switch selection, on mixers 3 and 4. I was of course using mix 5. [>:]

There are several "JR" type features here that seem strange at the moment. I need to RTFM some more.

Eric

ORIGINAL: Robrow

Hi Eric, taking a serious look at this radio myself, only limiting factor for me and probably lots of other jet flyers is the 7 channel aspect. I'm used to having 12 channels with more or less every servo having it's own Rx socket/channel

Not sure why you need to disable the steering via the retract switch, I had a Roo once which used gyro stabilised steering and to stop it draining the battery with wheels retracted I used an oleo actuated micro switch in one of the steering servo power lines.

Rob.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

David,
thank you for posting this information and link. Very exciting news indeed. I can't think of a more important radio for 2.4 to come to. I have flown a baby boomerang serveral times with the DX7 and it was good and solid but the radio does not feel good to me. The new JR systems sound quite exciting !~)

Joe Kelley

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Ooops sorry , doubly post!~).

joe
Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 AM
David Gladwin

My pleasure, Joe. I bought a DX7 yesterday to play with, too, and will do a review for RCJI, next edition . I hear lots of good reports on the DX7 and it will be good to build some experience and confidence in the system in preparation for the full JR PCM12x spread spectrum, if that is what it will be called !
Regards, David.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

Guys

I've been flying a Graupner Turbo Raven with a JetCat SPT-5 on and off for a couple of years, during this time I really struggled to get a reliable radio install-something about the Raven caused a problem with radio reception and every flight or so I would get a hit.
I tried everything from different Rx's to changing aerial types and nothing competely cured the problem...until now

I've had four flights today with the DX-7 and it's been perfect...

Dave W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44426.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	597613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61043.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	597614  
Old 01-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Eric Banner

Guys
...I've had four flights today with the DX-7 and it's been perfect...
Dave W
Wish I could say the same Dave

I had two and a “half” flights today with the Spektrum radio in my Boomerang.

Ground range with reduced Tx power was good at three times the recommended range, 90 paces.
With the turbine running ground range was still “good” at twice the recommended distance, 60 paces.
Both the above checks were with the turbine between the Rx’s and the Tx, line of site wise.

First flight went well without problems. No noticeable difference from any other flight.

During the second flight the Boomerang suddenly pitched nose up but recovered on command. I do not know why this occurred. Cannot have been a lockout as I was straight and level at the time and the failsafe is, on all but the throttle, hold last good signal.
Plane checked out O.K. on the ground.

A minute and half into the third flight, again more or less straight and level, the Boomerang suddenly and very violently flick rolled! Again recovery was almost instant. I’d now had enough! So throttled back and landed.

The above is very far from being conclusive. Other things could have caused the events. However the Spektrum is coming out of the Boomerang and it ain’t going back in!

A fellow club member was also having a first flight with a Spektrum. This was in a much more valuable jet than my Boomerang. He also experienced intermittent loss of control and was extremely fortunate to get his jet back in one piece.
During post flight ground checks of his jet the Spektrum receiver lost the “Tx – model number identity” and had to be re-bound again before anything would function!

Be careful out there!

Eric
Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
mick15

Hi, Eric just been speaking to someone who was there with you today, (you know who) bit disappointing isn't it??
I was about to buy one.

m
Old 01-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Dave Wilshere

Eric

Your problem sounds strange as a everything except throttle goes to hold...or were you holding sticks in the corner when it came back?
My ground range with and without turbine running was identical...

Trevor Skedges Hawk has now had enough flights to show it is 100% secure.
You need to experiment with the two Rx's positions-in your case to get the same range with and without turbine running.
I also test flew another Rx in an I/C pylon racer I fly for fun and I was at my eye site limit 10' off the ground without a problem doing 150-175mph.
It works for me!

Do you have a photo of your installation?

Dave
Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Eric Banner

ORIGINAL: mick15

Hi, Eric just been speaking to someone who was there with you today, (you know who) bit disappointing isn't it??
I was about to buy one.

m
Hi Mick,

Very disappointing.
The advertised benefits of 2.4GHz systems would be/are great advances for the hobby.

I need to refit my Futaba Rx back into the Boomerang and have a few good flights to prove to myself that there’s nothing wrong with the rest of the installation.

I’ll probable fit the Spektrum into a glow model for further assessment.

Eric

Old 01-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Eric Banner

Hi Dave,

I don’t believe anything went to hold. Appeared to be more like a control surface suddenly and momentarily going to full deflection. Didn’t get the chance to move the sticks much, all happened so quickly!

As you suggest I’ll experiment with the Rx positions.
I’ll take a photo this evening.

It was Trevor’s reported success with the Fox Hawk, which prompted me to try 2.4GHz. I don't believe anything is 100% secure!

Rgds,
Eric

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.