Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

f100 jet crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

f100 jet crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: f100 jet crash

also, forgot to mention, there is a constable that patrols the park. he drove over to the area, took a look and drove off. we have had rain for at least 25 out of the last 30 days and fire is a non issue at this time. the constable never even drove into the parking lot of the model airplane club. it is a safe club with no ama incidents that i know of in its history. crazyryan, also is a nice guy, who is not a member of this club, but came to fly for a day and to see the jets, as he has expressed interest in getting into jets. i think him witnessing such an expensive crash, made his wallet flash in front of his eyes. i didnt see him leave afterwards, but i would guess he is having second thoughts if jets are for him. barry
Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Bandito
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, good to hear from you. The f-100 was Dr. Rodriques's. He was just sick about it, but the plane wasn't going to Top Gun. I will see you there. I am flying my F-100F this year @ TG. I can't wait to leave this wet weather behind. I must say Jose took it like a man. When he got back out of the brush he flew his KingCat at least 5 times before it got dark.... See you in May... Ray Blair
Old 02-05-2007, 03:55 PM
ag4ever

There is a bunch of speculation as to what happened, and the true facts probably won't be known unless you were the pilot.

As I understand it, it had a new never flown turbine in it, but that had nothing to do with the crash. I was told it was simply pilot error.

As to the remark that it could have crashed into the pitts or even on the road way, yes it could have if the error had happened in those places. Unfortunate, but that is one of the risks we take when we fly anywhere. Fortunatly, it did go down in the muddy woods where there was very little risk of hurting anybody (except for the possibility of starting a fire).

The bright side of the incident is that the owner proceeded to fuel up a second jet, and get back in the saddle. He seemed to have a decent grasp of reality and did not let the loss affect him on an outward appearance.

It was a VERY nice jet though.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for letting us know the details....I think it is important that any information, however trivial, needs to be shared so that we can operate these complex models safely.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Bandito

Barry, is crazy ryan the guy that normally is there on a bicycle?? If thats him your right he is a nice guy. I didnt recognize him by his " call sign".I was just a little concerned that that Scobie got some negative inaccurate press as hard as we all try to be safe.... Ray
Old 02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ray

Just sent you a PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ray, nah crazy ryan is a guy who pitted near me at bomber last year. he had pm'd me here on rcu asking when we would be at scobee, as he was thinking of getting into jets. i didnt put a face with a name until i saw him at scobee yesterday. the guy on the bike rides in the park in the morning and flies electric in the afternoon, a nice guy as well. crazy ryan is not a regular at scobee. barry
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

im a regular at space city rc been there for 16 years really a nice field and not even that busy during sunday afternoons
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 PM
motstud74
My Feedback: (14)

Hey Crazy. How about you keep your stupid comments about jets being unsafe to yourself. And not post them on here. We have enough problems with people knocking us and our turbine jets. We are the safest people around when it comes to this hobby. You have to pretty stupid to say those things in your first post. Again please keep your negative comments to your self and not post them. The moderator should remove that post ASAP!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I was there flying my jets also. Doc was flying his 100 in the pattern that in no way put it in the path of people or parking lot. It crashed in the pattern and that was that. No one of us like the fact that our jets do crash from time to time. But flown in the correct pattern endanger no one.
This was the case here. All safety was in place with fire supression equipment on site.

The police that were mentioned patrol the park and have enjoyed our jet flying many times before.

Kevin
Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ORIGINAL: djindivik

If you dont set the failsafe, the radio WILL go into lockout mode, in Futaba's case for 7 seconds. I've heard all the arguments about "It doesn't do that anymore" & "You can set the 'out' time" ad nauseum.
Huh??? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif] 7 Seconds? Been flying Futaba for almost 20 years.... whatcha talkin bout willis?
Dito???
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Goosefly
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Crazy Ryan
I have a good idea for you. You should try underwater basket weaving. It's fun and safe!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@#############
Old 02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
CRAZYRYAN

yea sorry i was being a little negative i was prob. just paronoid about that crash with billowing smoke can spook someone who hasnt much knoledge on how the jet guys fly safe im not being negative here. ill take that my responsible and be a little more quiet. again sorry
Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

yea sorry i was being a little negative i was prob. just paronoid about that crash with billowing smoke can spook someone who hasnt much knoledge on how the jet guys fly safe im not being negative here. ill take that my responsible and be a little more quiet. again sorry
Admirable reply, Crazy.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 AM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

#$
Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 AM
djindivik

I said i've heard all the arguments ! Get an early FF7 TX + PCM RX, fly in PCM mode, dont set the failsafe, fly it, see what happens. I lost 7 models this way, before i sussed it. Thats a lot longer than 20yrs ago. I still dont trust PCM. Ray.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

So your talking about PCM technology from over 20 years ago and trying to compare it to todays systems? And you wont fly PCM today because it crashed some planes over 20 years ago??
I know a lot of old-timers who crashed using escapement too... [sm=72_72.gif] Never mind, I have no argument [&:]
Old 02-06-2007, 01:30 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

I don't believe Pulse Code Modulation has changed much in the last 10 - 15 years, and with all the equipment that we carry in our jets, it's almost impossible to tell what might go wrong with out a little black box. I just say hurry for Specktrum I am gald it's now a option.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: BirdofpraY

I don't believe Pulse Code Modulation has changed much in the last 10 - 15 years, and with all the equipment that we carry in our jets, it's almost impossible to tell what might go wrong with out a little black box. I just say hurry for Specktrum I am gald it's now a option.
Of course the Spektrum system uses PCM too - and on a much more crowded and difficult to transmit/receive band. I think its great stuff too, but its too early to tell if its overall reliability is going to be significantly greater than the 72 MHz stuff.

Bob
Old 02-06-2007, 03:16 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

well you are right, it is a more widley use band but the FCC requires active collision avoidance systems to be desiged in the 2.4GHZ All Direct Sequencing Spread Spectrum. So it is nice to have the GUID (Globally Unique Identification code) which alows the system to scan for a open channel. so we dont have to worry about cell phones and the average cordless phone taking out our planes that opperate in the frequncey. So this might be a crowded band but it is controled unlike our current radios.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Bandito

CrazyRyan, I see you got the message....... Come back to scobie and fly with us. If your interested in jets, come on out and we can show you the best and most practical way to get started. I will be glad to help and I am sure all and any of the jet guys that fly there would be glad to help to. .....Ray Blair
Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So that was Papo's F-100? So sorry to hear. He is a really good pilot and I'm sure something out of the ordinary must have happened.

Crazy.....yes this is some serious *****. If you don't feel safe around it, then stay away from it.
I would also stay away from I-35 near Austin and 90% of Mexico City.

David
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what's wrong with Austin???????
Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

ORIGINAL: BirdofpraY

Not impossible at all, just get a Weatronics Dual Receiver, then you can see in graphical or tabular form EXACTLY what is going on in your jet ! Couple that with something like the Jetcat ECU download then you have a very capable QAR (quick access recorder) . No more guess work. They are available off the shelf in the USA from Dreamworks at an incredibly low price for what you get.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.