Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I hate rivets!!!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I hate rivets!!!!

Old 02-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I hate rivets!!!!

Kevin,

Looks great!!! I can see plenty of rivets and know all about the crosseyed late evenings and the numb fingers that you must have went through. Never mind David as he wears glasses so he must be blind---Sometimes I wonder if he's deaf and dumb too!!! I guess that he can't be all that dumb as he moved from the great white north down to God's country. I noticed the BobCat on the dining room table----your house looks like mine! I've got an Avonds F-16 being built on the dining room table, a HotSpot being built in the guest bedroom, and an Air Magic F-15, BVM Super Bandit, and Trim Aircraft F-86 being built in the garage. My wife is running out of patience with me. I told her that spring is right around the corner and that everything will be in the garage soon.

I know you are proud of your plane and I know what you went through to modify that kit so that it would be turbine airworthy. I'm glad to see that your several months of hard work has paid off. I wish that I could go to FJ to see it fly. Have fun!!!!

Kevin
Old 02-12-2003, 04:36 AM
G Watson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rivets

Kevin,

WOW -- now I understand why so many rivets are used on your models.

Great workmanship !!! I would be afraid to fly it.

Nice airplane -- thanks for the look.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So where's the rivets???
David don't feel bad, I can't see them either after a couple of beers.

I noticed the BobCat on the dining room table
Of course it is! What do you think a dining room table is for, eating off of?? No wife in my case, and the dogs really don't mind where I store my airplanes.

Thanks for the compliments, I guess it really has come a long way from the way it looked for it's first flight in Mississippi last year. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can put more flights on it in Florida next week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54738_5236.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	33473  
Old 02-12-2003, 11:07 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really looks great Kevin. You've come a long way on this one. Looks like all the hard work has paid off.

I'm leaving for Florida in a few minutes. I'm outta here, see ya there.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:51 PM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

>>>>>>>>>I had to move some furniture around in the living room to be able to put it together, but here is a full side view>>>>>>

kevin

mmmmmmmmmi have to object to the above.......who needs furniture when you have cool planes like you do.........let me remind you that you only need furniture when you have a wife.....and who needs one of those......been there done that

hornet driver
Old 02-12-2003, 10:47 PM
rc4mike

Kevin,

Think we'll be able to see that thing in the air with those little wing tanks? Sure does look good. I am still partial to the Krylon job we did on that wonderfull morning in Miss. last year.

Mike Jensen
Old 02-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Kevin_W

Default Macchi

Think we'll be able to see that thing in the air with those little wing tanks? Sure does look good. I am still partial to the Krylon job we did on that wonderfull morning in Miss. last year.
I hated to sand off that beautiful Krylon scheme, but Team Krylon would not have me as a member since I don't live in Lousyana , so I decided I would go ahead and put that cheap automotive paint on it with a few rivets and panel lines instead.
As for those tip tanks, I have been having to wear my blue blockers just to work on the darned thing. Hell that flourescent red is so bright Dave Brown might even OK this jet for night flying.

who needs furniture when you have cool planes like you do.........let me remind you that you only need furniture when you have a wife.....and who needs one of those......been there done that
Did you not see the Bobcat on the dining room table???? The furniture is for storing the jets on. Sheezzzz!!!
Except for the coffe table, that is what I eat off of since the dining room table is "in use".
Old 02-13-2003, 04:57 PM
3drc tim
My Feedback: (6)

Default question about those rivets

When you all apply those rivets, are they burnished on from a sheet? Are they decals or dry applied? Are they applicable for a warbird--different sizes? I am working on an Ziroli AT-6 now and that's why the questions. Finally, do you put them over the paint, or paint over the rivets?

Thanks for the help, Tim
Old 02-13-2003, 05:33 PM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

>>>>>>>>>Did you not see the Bobcat on the dining room table???? The furniture is for storing the jets on. Sheezzzz!!!
Except for the coffe table, that is what I eat off of since the dining room table is "in use".>>>>>>>>>>>

good man kevin ................sounds like my house.....errr hangar
Old 02-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Kevin_W

Tim,
The rivets I use are from Pro Mark. They are dry transfer graphics and are simply burnished onto the surface. Pro Mark's marketing says that there is no need to put clear over the top of any of thier graphics, but I always do just to be sure that they stay put.

After painting all of the colors onto the airplane I wet sand the entire thing, then do all of the panel lines with a .060 Rapidograph pen (I use this because you can mix your own ink color in it), then I apply the graphics, and put all of the rivets on last. This airplane was a bit more of a PITA for the clear since most of it has a flat finish but all of the flourescent red is shiny, so I had to tape off all of the red to shoot the flat clear on it. Inevitably when I un-masked it many of the rivets came off with the tape, so I had to go back and re-apply them before taping off the flat surfaces and then shooting the gloss clear.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:51 PM
3drc tim
My Feedback: (6)

Default thanks for the rivet information

Kevin,

Where do you buy this dry transfer rivet material (Pro Mark?) Is this the preferred method over the adhesive "drop" method with the syringe? Thanks Again, Tim
Old 02-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Kevin_W

http://www.pro-mark.com/

Is this the preferred method over the adhesive "drop" method with the syringe?
"Preferred" is rather subjective, it all depends on who you ask.
My answer is yes, I prefer to use the rub on graphics but then again I am lazy.

The other thing to consider is that the adhesive drop method is going to give you a raised (3 dimensional) rivet, dry transfer rivets have virtually no thickness to them (not enough to be noticable with your finger anyway). Since most full scale aircraft built since the late 1930's have flush rivets, the graphics are probably more realistic.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:18 PM
G Watson

Default rivets

WOW - not only are you guys terrific builders and pilots. You are also Artists to boot.

I am impressed. I will have to go to one of those meets to see these aircraft