Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Entered in turbine jet world with Saggitario.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Entered in turbine jet world with Saggitario.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Entered in turbine jet world with Saggitario.

I have finally and formally entered turbine jet world officially yesterday with arrival of Saggitario by Z models in Italy, i got it from regional jet flyer here in Ontario, it's not scale jet but looks as jet aircraft and is beautiful machine. I got it as NIB Kwik built kit as wing cores are already sheeted with Obechi, fiberglass fuselage and full hardware set, so half the battle is done for me.

Recommended power for this jet is 12-18lbs turbine, so how would be going mid range with 14-16lbs turbine?, plus what are the pros and cons of this kit and when building what areas should be given extra care. I want it to be capable to fly off grass fields also, so what type of struts could be recommended.

I will not start on this project right away as i have priority on finishing my current big S Connie project as its been taken over by RC-TV to do segments of build shows on it.

Regards,
Sammy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69663.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	630139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36402.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	630140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48271.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	630141  
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 AM
mick15

Default RE: Formally entered Turbine jet world

Sammy, I advise you to speak to David Gladwin who has carried out all the necessary mods to this airframe.

m
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: mick15

Sammy, I advise you to speak to David Gladwin who has carried out all the necessary mods to this airframe.

m
Hello M.

How do i get intouch with Mr. David Gladwin, is he on here or do you have his contact info...Previous owner has engine rail mounts mod kit coming for me at this time.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:48 AM
mick15

Just weight, he'll turn up.

m
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Props4ever

Still waiting to hear good/bad, engine selection about this jet. Also wondering how many fellows on here have/had flown this jet and what do they have to say about it being flown by newbie entering turbine gang.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
chrigui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this was my first jet with my home made kj66
i detuned the turbine to 6kg with 1.5litre of fuel (coke bottle)
it fly very well

best regard's

Christian Guidi

www.webalice.it/jetflydemoteam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12852.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	631496  
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
mick15

Default RE: Entered in turbine jet world with Saggitario.

Hi Sammy, I have contacted David for you. He's away at present but will post when he returns.

m
Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Props4ever

Thanks Sir,

I am starting to have second thoughts about this jet now, couple of guys have mentioned to me that this jet is "PURE" speed demon and nothing less and it can hit 240kms even with 14 pounder and is definitely not a trainer!!, now me being a pure rookie in jet turbine world, is not to comfortable with this scenario!. What do you have to say about this delima now....
Old 03-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Sammy,

My second and 3th jets where Sagittarios, back in 1997... flown them while testing the first KJs with Artes. Still have one slightly damaged with a KJ that is the nr. 2 in the world...

This was 10 years ago, but what I remember is that it was really fast if pushed at full throrttle, but not uncomfortable, it flow really well at speed. I didn't had any experience in ducted fan before the Sagittario, and never had the feeling to fly it "from behind" (reacting and not acting..)

We had some crashes, most (or all) of them due at flameouts. At this time we had no ecus, not experience, nor ceramic bearings...

What you should know is that it don't like to fly slowly at all... Too slow and it stall.. usually unrecoverabily. But I flow it from a 80m strip, and landed quite well. No brakes too.

GAspar
Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, The Sag . is quick very quick and COULD be difficult to land with the high residual thrust of a JPX. It would also spin easily if the C of G was at the aft limit. A few comments on how to sort it all out !

Glass in the engine mount rails and stiffen up the fin post.

Use Springair gear and plenty of beefing up of the undercarriage mounting plates and it will handle grass without a problem

Plenty of glass cloth over the wing center joint.

Keep the C of G at leat 1/2 inch forward of that shown on drawings.

Based on the experience with my two StarJets (which is a developed Sagittario) :

Reduce the span of the ailerons and TOP hinge them. Increrase the CHORD of the flaps and BOTTOM hinge them. This allows crow braking which will allow the model to slow easily AND wash out the wing making it (almost) spin proof. Use 70-80 degrees of flap for landing with about 1/4 inch aileron upset for the crow, makes the StarJet a *****cat but super quick with a Wren Super Sport.

Enjoy it, remembering its not a Boomerang !!

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Yes, The Sag . is quick very quick and COULD be difficult to land with the high residual thrust of a JPX. It would also spin easily if the C of G was at the aft limit. A few comments on how to sort it all out !

Glass in the engine mount rails and stiffen up the fin post.

Use Springair gear and plenty of beefing up of the undercarriage mounting plates and it will handle grass without a problem

Plenty of glass cloth over the wing center joint.

Keep the C of G at leat 1/2 inch forward of that shown on drawings.

Based on the experience with my two StarJets (which is a developed Sagittario) :

Reduce the span of the ailerons and TOP hinge them. Increrase the CHORD of the flaps and BOTTOM hinge them. This allows crow braking which will allow the model to slow easily AND wash out the wing making it (almost) spin proof. Use 70-80 degrees of flap for landing with about 1/4 inch aileron upset for the crow, makes the StarJet a *****cat but super quick with a Wren Super Sport.

Enjoy it, remembering its not a Boomerang !!

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Hi David,

Highly appreciated your help full tips, i will definitely follow your inputs when its time to built this model, couple of things i couldn't understand properly:

1- Bottom hinging the flaps?, and secondly what type of turbine is JPX?.

Other thing i like to know what is the most suitable turbine with thrust would be good for me being a rookie, i know i can keep throttle low but at times you know it kicks in you....

Regards,
Sammy

Old 03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Simply arrange the hinges to be in balsa blocks as near as possible to the bottom skin of the flaps thus enabling max flap deflection.

You will find you get excellent performance in the Sag. froma 12 pound thrust engine such as a Wren MW54 or PST 600. My StarJet is VERY quick with a Wren SuperSport but I do fly off grass in high temps. and the thrust gives excellent take offs. Not needed off tarmac.

The JPX was the really excellent liquid propane fueled engine which really made gas turbine flying practical before the advent of the current type of kerosene fuelled engines. My original Sag. was timed at 160 mph on a 9 pound thrust T240.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 PM
ger56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello ,

Coming back to this post , I am planning to go for a jet .

The Sagittario seems very interesting as a first jet for the following ( correct me if I am wrong ...)

- About 6 kgs makes it possible to use electric e-flite 60/120 low cost retracts ?
- Most of the Video shows the plane can land without engine ( pulso out ) safely on grass unless all pilots
are champion pilots
- Plane does not seem to stall on video when engine cuts ( other jets seems to be not as easy to land except
boomerang or thick profile )
-Wings easy to repair
- Fast airframe ( why going to turbine if no speed .... )
-Long fuse means stability and easy to take off

Thank you for your comments

Ger56
Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

now me being a pure rookie in jet turbine world, is not to comfortable with this scenario!
Was exactly the way I felt Sam.

Ended up building a turbine version of the type of model I was already comfortable flying, not
too fast, easy to take off & land, easy to repair.

Sure, buy an engine & retract system (the expensive bits) to suit the Sagittario but get comfortable
operating & flying turbines with something you are comfortable with. Once you move on you can sell
it or keep it as a spare model. - John.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM
airwolf81
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

I have finally and formally entered turbine jet world officially yesterday with arrival of Saggitario by Z models in Italy, i got it from regional jet flyer here in Ontario, it's not scale jet but looks as jet aircraft and is beautiful machine. I got it as NIB Kwik built kit as wing cores are already sheeted with Obechi, fiberglass fuselage and full hardware set, so half the battle is done for me.

Recommended power for this jet is 12-18lbs turbine, so how would be going mid range with 14-16lbs turbine?, plus what are the pros and cons of this kit and when building what areas should be given extra care. I want it to be capable to fly off grass fields also, so what type of struts could be recommended.

I will not start on this project right away as i have priority on finishing my current big S Connie project as its been taken over by RC-TV to do segments of build shows on it.

Regards,
Sammy

YOU HAVE A EMAIL

Julian