Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crash today at Florida Jets.

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

They actually tell people that they can't fly at their event?

Yes!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 AM
The boys Back

I think that the fact that there was a big X wind for the whole event and the only accident that happend was not related to the X wind informs us that the X wind was not a major problem to the pilots that chose to fly. i chose not to fly when the wind was at its worse and only flew when i was happy i could carry out a safe flight (as did almost all the pilots)

Dave

Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

since i was not there i'm not going to try and blame pilot or the event but i think this thread has thrown up a few good suggestions that we could learn from . I think the cross wind problem should be addressed and maybe a limit should be in place . I know that at times i have flown jets in cross winds i would not have dreamt of flying a full size in probably because when you've driven for hours to get to a show you pressure yourself into it but at these times i have always started my take off roll from infront of me and the other pilots and also landed right at the other side of the runway with my touchdown been in front of me or slightly past me . then if the model does swing in it is safe for me and others. Never at a jet event in the uk have i felt i was in danger from myself or other pilots as most of them seem to let common sense provail and the events are well organised in the safety apsect for pilots and spectators.
Mr Rutter I'm sorry that i appear to agree with you on this. I'll try to not let it happen again
Old 03-20-2007, 03:05 AM
turburnator

Mr Hill

Water off a ducks back just wondering will you be attending the jma agm or meet the following day (24th and 25th of march)??.

Ant
Old 03-06-2015, 04:38 PM
fishman1
My Feedback: (62)

Default Jet Crash today

Well guys I was 40 feet from it when it hit the ground and felt the shock wave and the heat. The two gentleman that were in the flight line that the jet came to a stop a,t as it was caught in the safety net or it would have been much worse were both somewhat ok. the second it hit they both took off rolling and tumbling as I am sure they had fire and jet fuel on them. The other sade thing the pilot was flying a new jet for this show and of course while rolling and tumbling for his safety the jet went in a total lose.
One had no injuries just tumbled. The pilot suffered minor burns to his leg and mostly the left arm and a possible cut as he did not leave the site so not sure about any stitches.
I can tell you it was and enormous explosion, ball of fire and a lot of black smoke. my friend and I both jumped up and moved back and we were behind the flight area fence three seats back and it was hot for a couple minutes while they extinguished the fire.
lessons today.
12 persons planes approximate on the flight area or flying only three extinguishers were with the pilots. That's a no no. To many persons in the flight area also it was like ants running in every direction for 5 minutes.as there were pilots there spotter and a buddy or two each on the line.
The show managers did a poor job of managing the area or the pilots until that happened. Of course the field was closed for a while then the announcer says all these rules and no one will be allowed without there extinguishers ect , just a day or two late after I guess the initial pilots meeting which should be daily as wast today from 8:20 am till 2:30 pm and I never heard one called may have been earlier?
So that is the jest from eye witness guys, besides that it was an amazing show and unbelievable jets. My first time to that show as I usually go to the TOP GUN show which is another amazing show.
Now I am a large plane warbird guy but I have to tell ya you have to make it to this show someday it was awesome and Saturday is more pilots and better I have heard!!!!!!!

Fly safe have fun Fishman !!!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:46 PM
fishman1
My Feedback: (62)

Update I just heard the pilot did go to the hospital was treated and released as my friend spoke to him later in the day. He was doing fine then but of course upset his new expensive jet was a total lose but was glad all was not worse as it could have been. Fishman
Old 03-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Another, more serious crash with injuries at FL jets?

Perhaps the moderators should monitor this thread's posts VERY carefully & wait for all
the facts before releasing posts to the web?

Otherwise some pecker head will post something dumb & shoot us all in the foot.

John.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:32 PM
westwind two

The moderators thrive on accidents and allow pages of comments that will never stop accidents......These posts do nothing to prevent a accident....thats why is is called a accident ! If you have a event there is a risk, as in anything in life. An example of the B-29 crash at Warbirds Over Delaware three months of posts and attacks. What was solved other then causing CD's and pilots to wonder why do this hobby ? Warbirds Over Delaware will be held this year again with some changes but accidents will never be eliminated.

Dave Malchione
Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Big models requires big and strong fences, in the flight line and in the boxes. This kind of accident can happen to any pilot regardless of level of profeciency or if it is a prop job, a heli or a jet.

The only good news in this thread is that Gordon mc posted again.

Last edited by erbroens; 03-07-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:49 AM
AnthonyW

Why is this post tacked onto a post from 2007????
Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep
Old 03-07-2015, 03:33 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Good point
Old 03-07-2015, 03:51 AM
rcpete2

West Wing Two is spot on, sometimes the worst troll is the moderator, go figure.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 AM
thestik
My Feedback: (8)

8 years after the incident, after Fla Jets has changed locations for the 3rd time, and only joining this site 4 years after the event, Fishman1 has suddenly realized that accidents do happen, airplanes do crash. Imagine that!!
Old 03-07-2015, 05:01 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyW
Why is this post tacked onto a post from 2007????
I saw a news link and then I saw this thread and started reading from the beginning. I was totally confused by the different accounts of what happened until I realized this thread was 8 years old.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 AM
oliveDrab

delete

Last edited by oliveDrab; 03-07-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: erroneously responded to a post from 2007
Old 03-07-2015, 06:19 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by fishman1
Well guys I was 40 feet from it when it hit the ground and felt the shock wave and the heat.
Fishman1 - when did this happen? 3/6/2015? or 3/?/2007?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:28 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ch
Yes it was a sad accident. But I think this could be avoided. The setup for this event it’s all wrong. Spectators are to close of the runway, pilot's line are in the runway and this runway it's not wide at all. The day before that happened I almost got my head off by a moron flying a bobcat too low over the pilot line (2 times). Another guy land his airplane into the fligh line . This fly line is right there on the side of the runway and a fragile safety net it’s the only thing between the airplanes taken of and landing and the pilots. I don't know about a locked wheel or a take off roll but with a strong cross wind blowing to the flight line it was just an accident waiting to happen for anybody standing so close to the active runway...
This is why I am not flying at the event this year. The flight line is run too tight with too many runway incursions. Tiano doesn't care, and just wants the $$$. IMHO, Tiano also wants the excitement of the wrecks for the spectators to see too. Just a dangerously run event.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Mi-25

Don't be an ASS!
Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
Fishman1 - when did this happen? 3/6/2015? or 3/?/2007?
Originally Posted by ch
Yes it was a sad accident. But I think this could be avoided. The setup for this event it’s all wrong. Spectators are to close of the runway, pilot's line are in the runway and this runway it's not wide at all. The day before that happened I almost got my head off by a moron flying a bobcat too low over the pilot line (2 times). Another guy land his airplane into the fligh line . This fly line is right there on the side of the runway and a fragile safety net it’s the only thing between the airplanes taken of and landing and the pilots. I don't know about a locked wheel or a take off roll but with a strong cross wind blowing to the flight line it was just an accident waiting to happen for anybody standing so close to the active runway...
Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
This is why I am not flying at the event this year. The flight line is run too tight with too many runway incursions. Tiano doesn't care, and just wants the $$$. IMHO, Tiano also wants the excitement of the wrecks for the spectators to see too. Just a dangerously run event.
Post #1 - 104 are from 2007, Post #105 to current are from 3/6/2015

Last edited by George; 03-07-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

These things happen, terrible as they are.

Last edited by blhollo2; 03-07-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
franklin_m

It's not if the NTSB/FAA will regulate us more, but rather a matter of when. We continue to demonstrate that we cannot police ourselves. And we keep proving that point at large, AMA sanctioned events, with aircraft that receive special scrutiny by the AMA- the 100lb B29 operating under special AMA program, and now this one operating under the AMA's turbine waiver program.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-07-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 AM
jmpups

I don't know what you think you saw. The plane was not on take-off the jet was 100 ft straight overhead of the runway, rolled over in what looked like a stall and screwed itself into the ground . Thankfully the piolet that was hit was treated at the field and then taken to the medical center for stitches.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Those of us who believe in the 2nd Amendmen are slowly beginning to realize there are no accidenatly discharges - there are only negligent discharges. The same might be said about RC "accidents".
Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 AM
dsair
My Feedback: (6)

well said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.