Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:42 AM
rcpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Franklin M last year you said you fly nothing, after all your banter July, Aug., Sept., about the B-29 crash at WOD. You were not there, some of these people have been flying years 10, 20. hell 50 years, you were not at Fla. Jets. I wish I could meet you in person.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

OK so the plane was a qcomposites aurora
the plane was taking off
while preparing to taxi off the wheel locked up
causing the plane to bank hard into the pilot box
this caused the fuel tanks to rupture and the plane caught on fire
injuring an event staff/coordinator

is that the events that happened?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
OK so the plane was a qcomposites aurora
the plane was taking off
while preparing to taxi off the wheel locked up
causing the plane to bank hard into the pilot box
this caused the fuel tanks to rupture and the plane caught on fire
injuring an event staff/coordinator

is that the events that happened?
Look at the dates on the posts that talk about the wheel locking up.. This years incident got tacked onto the end of a very old thread..
Old 03-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lk-County.html

Damo
Old 03-07-2015, 11:32 AM
wfield0455

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Those of us who believe in the 2nd Amendmen are slowly beginning to realize there are no accidenatly discharges - there are only negligent discharges. The same might be said about RC "accidents".
While I can see the argument that if a firearm is unintentionally discharged it's negligent because you shouldn't have it loaded and being handled in a place that isn't safe to shoot it. Still, after many years of shooting competitive skeet, I HAVE seen a shotgun discharge, simply by closing the action while on station. Since It was pointed in a safe direction and no injuries or property damage was done, I really can't see anything neglegent about it.

Forgetting the firearm analogy, are you saying that if you fly an RC airplane and it crashes it must be negligent simply because you flew it? There are all kinds of RC related "accidents" and not all are related to pilot error. Am I to understand that you feel that if after a through preflight inspection of the airplane and following all safety rules a mechanical failure occurs results in a crash, you consider that negligent? If you've somehow convinced yourself that by doing everything right, nothing wrong will ever happen, you're deluding yourself. Sometime stuff DOES happen, no matter how much you try to avoid it..
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Damo260

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/re...es-in-lakeland

Damo
Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM
oliveDrab

To the Moderator of this thread: Something ought to be done to alert posters about the age of posts they are replying to. How about this: if a poster is trying to reply to a post that is more than 3 months old, display a text box with large red letters stating how old the post is. Have an "OK" button for the poster to click on to dismiss the text box.

Does RCU already have such a mechanism?

Which leads to another question: how long does RCU retain old threads? 10 years? 15 years?
Old 03-07-2015, 01:07 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I ALWAYS check the dates of posts!!
But it's easy for someone to do a search, find a thread and reply without ever looking at the date. Then everyone gets drawn in... again.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:51 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
Which leads to another question: how long does RCU retain old threads? 10 years? 15 years?
Here's one that is over 14 years old!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ck-please.html
Old 03-07-2015, 03:22 PM
jfetter

Having access to old threads is desired, replying to old threads as if current, not so much. Check the dates on the posts before replying to anything, the date is right there to the left, above the posters name...

Jack
Old 03-07-2015, 03:56 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcpete2
Franklin M last year you said you fly nothing, after all your banter July, Aug., Sept., about the B-29 crash at WOD. You were not there, some of these people have been flying years 10, 20. hell 50 years, you were not at Fla. Jets. I wish I could meet you in person.
Don't fly anything? Not sure where you got that idea.

As for not being there, are you saying that if someone isn't there to see it then the crashes didn't happen? While I won't discuss this interesting analogy to the infamous "if a tree falls..." question, the reality is that both crashes occurred. The one at WOD was all over the internet, and this most recent one was already picked up by local news and even news in the UK.

Again, the high visibility crashes in a mass media age will be the undoing of this hobby.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-07-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by westwind two
The moderators thrive on accidents and allow pages of comments that will never stop accidents......These posts do nothing to prevent a accident....thats why is is called a accident ! If you have a event there is a risk, as in anything in life. An example of the B-29 crash at Warbirds Over Delaware three months of posts and attacks. What was solved other then causing CD's and pilots to wonder why do this hobby ? Warbirds Over Delaware will be held this year again with some changes but accidents will never be eliminated.

Dave Malchione
If accidents can't be prevented, and there was nothing but "posts and attacks" after the last event, then why make any changes at all?
Old 03-07-2015, 04:07 PM
franklin_m

"The fuel in the tank spewed out like a flame thrower [emphasis added] and burned his arm" and "It was chaos" are going to be very helpful convincing the media and regulators that we operate safely.

http://www.theledger.com/article/201...NEWS/150309544
Old 03-07-2015, 04:11 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_..._Diamond_Crash

This didnt end public demonstrations, the unfortunate truth is accidents happen, no matter how much prevention is taken. Its not just giant scale and turbines,, its any hobby out there..
Old 03-07-2015, 04:21 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

The mods can not put a general hold on posts to a particular thread. We can lock a thread or move it to somewhere that general members can not see it.This often results in someone starting a new thread.

My moderation style tends to allow a thread like this to run and not to be to quick to remove posts I 'think' maybe dubious. The thread becomes self moderating with other members chiming in with views that are perhaps closer to the truth.

However I generally remove any and all posts containing personal attacks.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Last year at MI Jets we used several bails of straw to protect each pilot station and the Flightline crew. It was a solid line, two bails high, with "nooks" every 15' or so for each pilot station. It too was right on the edge of ~100' wide runway. We had a large A-10 crash into the bails on a downwind takeoff. It moved a couple bails, but no one got hurt. No fires either. The straw bails made it a non-event!

At West MI Jet Rally we used plastic netting hung on PVC frames. No flightline cashes at this event. This year, we are considering changing to bails of straw to better protect the pilots and planes. But, starting the planes at the flightline vs. downwind also seems like a good idea.

One of the criteria for getting a turbine waiver is to never direct the energy of the aircraft towards the crowd (pilots or spectators). I have seen several pilots (jet and others) not practice this rule many times. I have discussed the issue with a couple "perps" at our Rally. I have never had to mention it twice to a jet pilot. But, ... It seems to me like the CD or site management should be the one to coach these folks who can't seem to keep the plane's energy consistently in the right directions. My CD has no other duties other than watch for safety violations. He even has the club's Safety Officer for an assistant. However, I have been to shows where the CD is over-taxed with other responsibilities.

I am putting this post here just to pass on the lessons learned that I have picked up working the flightline and running several events. Other than the B.S., there is a lot of good info that has surfaced from this discussion.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:46 PM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the setup that appears to be used in Germany. They have a very tall netting that separates the runway from the pit area. I've see it used on many YouTube videos
Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by erbroens
The only good news in this thread is that Gordon mc posted again.
Good point...Hello from Alaska, Gordon!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by rjbob
Unfortunately my good friend Gordon's post is from 8 years ago. He just recently sold everything he had and is out of the hobby temporarily. I say temporarily because I'm working pretty hard to get him back in!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:20 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by rjbob
double for some reason
Old 03-07-2015, 09:35 PM
mackeyjones

All I can say is, who is the toe rag who didnt give much thought to selling the footage to all the local media outlets. Obviously being that close to the flightline he was either a pilot or crew. It Is people like that who do more harm than good to the hobby.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 PM
rjbob

Originally Posted by sideshow
Unfortunately my good friend Gordon's post is from 8 years ago. He just recently sold everything he had and is out of the hobby temporarily. I say temporarily because I'm working pretty hard to get him back in!
Thanks, Bob...Haven't seen you in a while, also!
Please get Gordon off his butt!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 PM
rjbob

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
All I can say is, who is the toe rag who didnt give much thought to selling the footage to all the local media outlets. Obviously being that close to the flightline he was either a pilot or crew. It Is people like that who do more harm than good to the hobby.
You are so correct.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:44 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Toe rag????
Old 03-08-2015, 02:41 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sideshow
Sorry, I didnt checked the date. Pity he sold the planes and stopped posting, Please send my best regards next time you meet him.

Enrique,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.