Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Agree. And one of the opportunities to sue for negligence despite hold harmless/release of liability is when the event knew or should have known that a dangerous crash was likely. I find it interesting that a number of CDs and event organizers are on record here saying that accidents just happen (or words to that effect). Those kind of comments are red meat for an injury lawyer. I would not want to be hosting an event, where very scary crashes have happened in the past (and there's video of them), and be on record making comments saying they weren't preventable, that they "just happen", or other dismissive comments. Any decent lawyer will salivate when they find those.
Don't go away mad Bro.... Just go away.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on guys it only a hobby **** happens as long as the people involved with the incident are okay.

Damo
Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Agree. And one of the opportunities to sue for negligence despite hold harmless/release of liability is when the event knew or should have known that a dangerous crash was likely. I find it interesting that a number of CDs and event organizers are on record here saying that accidents just happen (or words to that effect). Those kind of comments are red meat for an injury lawyer. I would not want to be hosting an event, where very scary crashes have happened in the past (and there's video of them), and be on record making comments saying they weren't preventable, that they "just happen", or other dismissive comments. Any decent lawyer will salivate when they find those.
I find it interesting as well. Accidents don't just happen.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Damo260
Come on guys it only a hobby **** happens as long as the people involved with the incident are okay.

Damo
What happens when they're not okay? The rest of us should suffer because one careless individual?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope.

I will continue to express concern about some of the activities at these events. With crashes and injuries becoming more public, at a time when the public is rightfully concerned about sUAS, it won't take many more events before we'll face additional regulation. If nothing else, rising insurance costs could have an equally chilling effect. I'm an advocate for us changing the way we do business before more draconian changes are forced upon us.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Nope.

I will continue to express concern about some of the activities at these events. With crashes and injuries becoming more public, at a time when the public is rightfully concerned about sUAS, it won't take many more events before we'll face additional regulation. If nothing else, rising insurance costs could have an equally chilling effect. I'm an advocate for us changing the way we do business before more draconian changes are forced upon us.
Agreed. Those who do not govern themselves wisely will be governed by despots.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Joe Westrich

Love the guys who can spit hundreds words and do no actual work for their cause.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Damo260

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
What happens when they're not okay? The rest of us should suffer because one careless individual?
If they got hurt it will be a different story. I totally agree we suffer to over here in oz with careless people as well they come from a trainer plane straight in jets and don't understand the consequences.

Damo

Last edited by Damo260; 03-08-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Joe Westrich
Love the guys who can spit hundreds words and do no actual work for their cause.
Actually, I am engaged in it. One of the advantages of having former colleagues now working in regulatory agencies.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

Wow.. Just imagine if we used social media for actual "good"?? There is not a person out there that doesn't want to be safe. Life is accidents ready to happen. No matter what. He'll I've been dodging falling Icecicles due to warming weather?? Who do I blame?? Come on... Every facet of hobby could have a problem.. Jets.. Warbirds..cars... Boats... Heck I watched a foamy wack a guy in the eye.. What do we do?? I wish people would act like adults.. Everyone has answers for everything... It's amazing... Thousands of experts... Most of which just offer up something to stir the pot.. And aggravate.. I love the hobby.. But all the negatives.. Just turns me off to people. How about the dozen or so concusions from golf ball hits.. The dozen fans each year injured by fouls at baseball games..... List goes on. All the events I've gone to I admire the CD 's as I am one myself. Dave and Pete... Warbirds over DE I have grown up attending. And these gentlemen CARE!! Lets try a new thing... Social Media to spread the joy.. The fun...
Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I just tripped over the foot stool while watching the NASCAR race at home..........Who do I SUE???????????????
Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Joe Westrich

Originally Posted by Rvander
Wow.. Just imagine if we used social media for actual "good"?? There is not a person out there that doesn't want to be safe. Life is accidents ready to happen. No matter what. He'll I've been dodging falling Icecicles due to warming weather?? Who do I blame?? Come on... Every facet of hobby could have a problem.. Jets.. Warbirds..cars... Boats... Heck I watched a foamy wack a guy in the eye.. What do we do?? I wish people would act like adults.. Everyone has answers for everything... It's amazing... Thousands of experts... Most of which just offer up something to stir the pot.. And aggravate.. I love the hobby.. But all the negatives.. Just turns me off to people. How about the dozen or so concusions from golf ball hits.. The dozen fans each year injured by fouls at baseball games..... List goes on. All the events I've gone to I admire the CD 's as I am one myself. Dave and Pete... Warbirds over DE I have grown up attending. And these gentlemen CARE!! Lets try a new thing... Social Media to spread the joy.. The fun...
I am a CD too and total agree with you. It's the Monday morning quarter backs that have never ran any event that irritate most people. To run a show like FL jets is tough for anyone. To think you can make it liability free is juvenile thinking. Soon these "concerned" individuals will have everything shut down all together. You might soon have regulations just to walk with a pair of scissors in your hand.

Off to something actually productive..... got to build
Old 03-08-2015, 01:14 PM
mackeyjones

I have read quite a few of your posts in this and other forums regarding accidents, as well as quite a few of the other posters in here, while generally I try hard to avoid negative critism directly of people. When you are constantly negative without providing any real world solutions, you become a part of the problem. Although I have never been to Florida jets, I have watched and read quite a few videos and reports on Frant Tiano's events, which all seem to be orgainised very professionally over the years. You seem to want to regulate the RC Aircraft hobby to the point where most people that fly now wouldnt want to participate, Guess what rules and regulations are there for guidance and to set boundaries, but as with all of things some people do not follow them as closely as neccesary or ignore them completely. Comparing Models to their full sized counterparts is also counterproductive as the circumstances are for the most part different. I know quite a few full sized pilots who just assumed that because they can fly a full sized plane they are Ideal model pilots, and except for one it usually bit them on the backside once or twice before they lost their arrogance. You seem to talk the talk but never walk the walk, and most people will just roll their eyes in the back of their heads as soon as they see your post, which is counterproductive for you, as the one time that you actually have something worthwhile to contribute you will be ignored. Flaming event organisers such as Frank Tiano seems to be a national sport, when you are doing the same thing on the same scale as he does, maybe then you will have something positive to contribute as it seems to be me the only way that you and some of the others will finally get a clue on how difficult it is to organise a couple of hundred pilots all of which will think they are the no 1 pilot in the world.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Downwind3Zero
My Feedback: (10)

this discussion exemplifies why this country is such a mess, seriously.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Damo260

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
I have read quite a few of your posts in this and other forums regarding accidents, as well as quite a few of the other posters in here, while generally I try hard to avoid negative critism directly of people. When you are constantly negative without providing any real world solutions, you become a part of the problem. Although I have never been to Florida jets, I have watched and read quite a few videos and reports on Frant Tiano's events, which all seem to be orgainised very professionally over the years. You seem to want to regulate the RC Aircraft hobby to the point where most people that fly now wouldnt want to participate, Guess what rules and regulations are there for guidance and to set boundaries, but as with all of things some people do not follow them as closely as neccesary or ignore them completely. Comparing Models to their full sized counterparts is also counterproductive as the circumstances are for the most part different. I know quite a few full sized pilots who just assumed that because they can fly a full sized plane they are Ideal model pilots, and except for one it usually bit them on the backside once or twice before they lost their arrogance. You seem to talk the talk but never walk the walk, and most people will just roll their eyes in the back of their heads as soon as they see your post, which is counterproductive for you, as the one time that you actually have something worthwhile to contribute you will be ignored. Flaming event organisers such as Frank Tiano seems to be a national sport, when you are doing the same thing on the same scale as he does, maybe then you will have something positive to contribute as it seems to be me the only way that you and some of the others will finally get a clue on how difficult it is to organise a couple of hundred pilots all of which will think they are the no 1 pilot in the world.

Well said mate

Damo
Old 03-08-2015, 01:32 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
Aviation safety has nothing to do with the size or type of aircraft, it has to do with the management systems in place to anticipate and prevent accidents. If people don't follow rules, and that results in injuries/near injuries, then that means that operating discipline weak and your enforcement is an ineffective deterrent. If a plane crashes due to mechanical failure, causing injuries / near injuries, then it points to design, engineering, maintenance, operational checks, or pilot skill in dealing with the failure. If an otherwise fully functioning plane crashes causing injuries / near injuries, then it points to pilot skill, situational awareness, operating procedure compliance, etc. Regardless of what caused the mishap itself (the crash), if there are injuries / near injuries as a result, it also means that your consequence management needs attention too.

Just because a full scale pilot crashes a model airplane isn't even germane. What is germane is whether all of the above is anticipated, that mitigations are in place, and that those mitigations will provide meaningfully reduced risk that a mishap will occur at all, or if one does, that it will not result in what we saw at this event - ideally both. That is a professional safety view of safety - full scale or model.

I disagree that trying to get people to think differently, in switching from an "accidents happen" mindset to an "accidents are preventable" mindset, is not contributing something positive.

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-08-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BigPlumbs, is that you?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:44 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by fun2fly24
For you to say that is simply stupid.
He was being sarcastic...check out hos profile.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM
rjbob

Why? Are the facts bothersome?
Fact...many hobbies/sports have inherent risks (mountain climbing, hockey, running, ALL MODEL AIRCRAFT FLYING, etc.)

Fact...many of these hobbies/sports have the potential to be deadly.

Fact...the ONLY way to eliminate these risks is to not participate.

Fact...in spite of the number of participants in the hobby/sport of model aviation, the safety record is excellent (check out the injuries and deaths in some other hobbies/sports).

Fact...the reason for this is the methods used at our flying fields to reduce the risks while still allowing the pastime to be exciting and enjoyable.

Fact...if you feel you are 100% safe in anything you do, you may need help.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:18 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rjbob
Fact...many hobbies/sports have inherent risks (mountain climbing, hockey, running, ALL MODEL AIRCRAFT FLYING, etc.)

Fact...many of these hobbies/sports have the potential to be deadly.

Fact...the ONLY way to eliminate these risks is to not participate.

Fact...in spite of the number of participants in the hobby/sport of model aviation, the safety record is excellent (check out the injuries and deaths in some other hobbies/sports).

Fact...the reason for this is the methods used at our flying fields to reduce the risks while still allowing the pastime to be exciting and enjoyable.

Fact...if you feel you are 100% safe in anything you do, you may need help.

Fact...when spectators are injured, even when rare, the settlements may cost tens of millions

http://archive.rgj.com/article/20120...-crash-victims
http://www.forthepeople.com/blog/mor...-settle-claims
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...awsuit-sloppy/
Old 03-08-2015, 02:29 PM
rjbob

I don't believe anyone posting in this thread is unaware of potential lawsuits. That is why:

Fact...again, we do all we can to reduce spectator risk.

You need to take a nap.

Last edited by rjbob; 03-08-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

So, ... what actually caused the fire? Did a plane crash that close to the pilot? Or, did a plane just burn down as it was being taxied or started. I have seen a couple burn down when starting and a couple others go up in flames after a ground impact. Where were the fire extinguishers? In the video, I think I saw one go off for a short burst, ... maybe.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:57 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rjbob
You need to take a nap.
Perhaps not, but I do have some whiskey stones that need attention.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
haefeli

Any pilot who for whatever reason has his aircraft injure anyone for whatever reason and does not first check on the person he is responsible for injuring needs to be stripped of his ama waiver . it is bull puckey to be that insensitive to another person no matter what. He needs to learn some manners. Maybe someday it happens to him and no one helps him. Next time he shows his face at any event he needs to be run thru the ringer.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:49 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

I didn't read through all of this crud but I did catch that someone wanted some pictures instead of the other stuff so... Just a couple from my phone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	2079896   Click image for larger version

Views:	253
Size:	950.3 KB
ID:	2079897   Click image for larger version

Views:	187
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2079898   Click image for larger version

Views:	170
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2079901   Click image for larger version

Views:	208
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	2079902   Click image for larger version

Views:	166
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2079903   Click image for larger version

Views:	243
Size:	652.5 KB
ID:	2079905   Click image for larger version

Views:	167
Size:	683.6 KB
ID:	2079906  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.