Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Crash today at Florida Jets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

I've been the cd for 9 jet events, and 2 giant scale events at Hamburg. I can tell you that we always put our collective heads together, on how to improve safety. Everyone's input was always valued. We always feared "the big one". Full disclosure, I was by far, the most aggressive pilot at Farview. That said, give some credit to the organizers of these events. Especially, my good friends Dave and Pete,who run WOD.

Word is, the jet snapped out of a loop, and hit in an unfortunate spot. It could've gone anywhere, and all the rules in the world, wouldn't change the point of impact, nor made anyone safer. I've tried to stay out of this one, and not attack Franklin, but it's clear he has no clue what's involved in running a big jet event, or the real safety issues. I'm pretty sure my full scale credentials trump his, but I don't usually bring them up, because it's not relevant. IMHO, the most important issue at jet events, is to not point the energy at the crowd/pits.

I personally have experienced airframe failures, due to my aggressive style. They always fell in the right spot, because I remained cognizant of the energy vector of the jet.

Simply put, the men who run these events, deserve our respect. They are spending their time, so we can have fun. If you engage in a hazardous endeavor long enough, there will be consequences. I say, Thank God he wasn't hurt so badly, and he can fly my Ultra Lightning anytime. God Bless,

Erik

Last edited by Erik R; 03-12-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Erik and Art Arro.

How's the arm Erik? Typing with one hand or two??? .
Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik R
Hi,

I've been the cd for 9 jet events, and 2 giant scale events at Hamburg. I can tell you that we always put our collective heads together, on how to improve safety. Everyone's input was always valued. We always feared "the big one". Full disclosure, I was by far, the most aggressive pilot at Farview. That said, give some credit to the organizers of these events. Especially, my good friends Dave and Pete,who run WOD.

Word is, the jet snapped out of a loop, and hit in an unfortunate spot. It could've gone anywhere, and all the rules in the world, wouldn't change the point of impact, nor made anyone safer. I've tried to stay out of this one, and not attack Franklin, but it's clear he has no clue what's involved in running a big jet event, or the real safety issues. I'm pretty sure my full scale credentials trump his, but I don't usually bring them up, because it's not relevant. IMHO, the most important issue at jet events, is to not point the energy at the crowd/pits.

I I personally have experienced airframe failures, due to my aggressive style. They always fell in the right spot, because I remained cognizant of the energy vector of the jet.

Simply put, the men who run these events, deserve our respect. They are spending they're time, so we can have fun. If you engage in a hazardous endeavor long enough, there will be consequences. I say, Thank God he wasn't hurt so bad, and he can fly my Ultra Lightning anytime. God Bless,

Erik
Your point about being cognisant of the aircrafts energy is right on point. Something that less experienced pilots would maybe never even think of. Also, touching down, or lifting off beyond the pilots. Then if you veer off, there is nobody to hit. Maybe not as much of an issue with a jet, but certainly with taildraggin' warbirds.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,

I I personally have experienced airframe failures, due to my aggressive style. They always fell in the right spot, because I remained cognizant of the energy vector of the jet.

Simply put, the men who run these events, deserve our respect. They are spending they're time, so we can have fun. If you engage in a hazardous endeavor long enough, there will be consequences. I say, Thank God he wasn't hurt so bad, and he can fly my Ultra Lightning anytime. God Bless,

Erik
Your point about being cognisant of the aircrafts energy is right on point. Something that less experienced pilots would maybe never even think of. Also, touching down, or lifting off beyond the pilots. Then if you veer off, there is nobody to hit. Maybe not as much of an issue with a jet, but certainly with taildraggin' warbirds.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Erik R

Jimmy,

Thank you. My arm is healing slowly, but surely. Physical therapy is a *****, just as you warned, but it is working. Stay well.

Erik
Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What happened to your arm?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Erik R

Woket,

Thanks for asking. I wish I had a good war story. Unfortunately, I slipped and fell on ice, during a freezing rain event here. I landed on my outstretched arm, and shattered my radial head(forearm bone). I'm a big boy. They sawed off the bone, and screwed in the equivalent of a titanium golf tee to replace it. I'm currently rethinking my setbacks. LOL! My wife just wants to keep me on the couch, with a helmet on. 

On a different note, I've been informed privately, that the crash at FJ was not the result of a snap out. I want to correct my earlier statement, and apologize for posting incorrect info. Thank you, and blue skies,

Erik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	2081077  

Last edited by Erik R; 03-12-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Well I retract my statement. I wish getting old was the problem, read below.

Your post was not edited by a mod. If I, or any other mod, had edited your post it will show a the mods RCU ID and a date / time stamp like the one below.

Last edited by Desertlakesflying; 03-13-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Correcting my comment...
Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Your post wasn't edited
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Interesting....this is not what I said at all. Which jet moderator got his panties in a bunch and changed it?

This is what i said.........."As long as he is in the right clique, his waiver will remain untouched."

Was it the truth, or the truth that was the problem with that post?
Pretty funny, actually. Your "Some people shouldn't fly at all" post was #78...in March, 2007!

"As long as he is in the right clique, his waiver will remain untouched." was post #201...a couple of days ago.

Why the heck can't you remember a post you made only 8 years ago...you old or something?!

Oh wait...I'm the one that's old...too much time on my hands.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM
rjbob

Speaking of well run, safe events...MISSISSIPPI AFTERBURNER!

Now back to the Franklin Remote Risk Assessment thread.

Last edited by rjbob; 03-13-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

"Pretty funny, actually. Your "Some people shouldn't fly at all" post was #78...in March, 2007!

"As long as he is in the right clique, his waiver will remain untouched." was post #201...a couple of days ago.

Why the heck can't you remember a post you made only 8 years ago...you old or something?!

Oh wait...I'm the one that's old...too much time on my hands. "

It's this neat thing called Gulf War Illness...........
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM
franklin_m

Question: Is a turbine waiver holder capable of making human error?
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m

No we are all perfect!

Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 AM
rjbob

In see that your expertise in risk assessment still renders you incapable assessing my poor attempt at humor.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 PM
rjbob

Originally Posted by gunradd
No we are all perfect!

Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer.
1+
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM
franklin_m

I don't see even a little humor in the thought of a 50 pound or heavier item traveling at up to 200 mph toward people.

Originally Posted by rjbob
In see that your expertise in risk assessment still renders you incapable assessing my poor attempt at humor.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:13 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

We dont fly towards people!!! Stop commenting on something that you know nothing about! Any CD at any event I attend will make you land and not let you fly again if you do any maneuvers towards people. At topgun last year a guy was told to land immediately for violating the dead line. Lewis Patton at KY jets will send you home packing with no warning for doing anything towards the crowd. Go help the prop guys out they keep cutting their fingers off.

I don't see even a little humor in the thought of a 50 pound or heavier item traveling at up to 200 mph toward people.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:19 PM
franklin_m

So I take it you're saying it's impossible for there to be a mishap even the first time someone flies toward people?

Originally Posted by gunradd
We dont fly towards people!!! Stop commenting on something that you know nothing about! Any CD at any event I attend will make you land and not let you fly again if you do any maneuvers towards people. At topgun last year a guy was told to land immediately for violating the dead line. Lewis Patton at KY jets will send you home packing with no warning for doing anything towards the crowd. Go help the prop guys out they keep cutting their fingers off.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM
iflyrcjets

A mishap doesn't have to be traveling toward people to happen.

Unfortunately life happens and we do not like the out come of the incident no matter what it is.

Not everything can be controlled in life and the sooner some people understand this, that they may discover that they we not in control to begin with.

Good thing we do not try and text while we fly, like some people do when driving.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Erik R

Frank,

Every safety briefing I have done as a cd at any event, I always address the issue of not directing the energy towards the crowd. On the very rare occasion it occurred, it was immediately addressed. I haven't heard of any cd's, of any jet events doing otherwise. Why do you keep on raising hypotheticals, when you don't participate, or attend these events?

You would be taken more seriously, if you made a safety suggestion, respectfully, at an event you actually laid eyes on. How can you possibly criticize something you simply know nothing about? Do you have any viable suggestions, or solutions? If so, offer them up, in a non condescending manner. Everything else is uninformed pontification and bloviation. You are really starting to look foolish, and your agenda dubious.

Erik
Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

So I take it you're saying it's impossible for there to be a mishap even the first time someone flies toward people?
Dude you are ridiculous! I bet you would argue with a stop sign. I am so glad you don’t fly and I will hopefully never penetrate your bubble.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:58 PM
franklin_m

There are over 1800 waiver holders. I'm just wondering why there is not a single one listed as revoked or even suspended, despite other waiver holders say they have personally witnessed dangerous behavior? 1800 and not a single revocation or suspension. That's perfection. I don't think even ATPs, with a substantially higher level of training achieve that level of performance.

Frank,

Every safety briefing I have done as a cd at any event, I always address the issue of not directing the energy towards the crowd. On the very rare occasion it occurred, it was immediately addressed. I haven't heard of any cd's, of any jet events doing otherwise. Why do you keep on raising hypotheticals, when you don't participate, or attend these events?

You would be taken more seriously, if you made a safety suggestion, respectfully, at an event you actually laid eyes on. How can you possibly criticize something you simply know nothing about? Do you have any viable suggestions, or solutions? If so, offer them up, in a non condescending manner. Everything else is uninformed pontification and bloviation. You are really starting to look foolish, and your agenda dubious.

Erik

Last edited by franklin_m; 03-13-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: punctuation correction.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:59 PM
iflyrcjets

Franklin_m

Since you are so concerned about safety, why don’t you focus your attention to the more serious problems?
Texting and Driving.
Drunk Drivers.
Drugs
Shootings
Sex Trafficking
Too much sugar being consumed
Maybe you can fix Obama Care while you are at it.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I spent most of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday on the flightline at Florida Jets this year.

I was more nervous driving to and from the hotel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.