Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electrics at Florida Jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electrics at Florida Jets

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrics at Florida Jets

Anything electric flying at Florida Jets this weekend. If so, could someone let us folks unable to be there know what was flyin'? THANKS
Old 03-04-2007, 10:58 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electrics at Florida Jets

Few of BVMs Electra fleet ...
AWESOME
F 86 also put on a Show
Semper Fi
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32257.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	635363  
Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks Unclejoe for the info. Did any other electrics catch anybodies eyes? I was just wondering if anything (kit or arf) had been retrofitted with a high power electric motor/fan combo. I am planning (for a year now) a Yellow Aircraft F15 twin electric. I have seen a couple of big electrics on the internet and at Liberty Bell last year. Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

FWIW I would go over to EZone EDF page ,there are a few "Experts"( Hoser,Gordon,bob Ruff, or Herb) who Know that black magic stuff )who will steer to to the correct combo.
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

You mean blue/gray stuff when we let the magic smoke out Joe It was good to see you again. Nice photography too!

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

FWIW I would go over to EZone EDF page ,there are a few "Experts"( Hoser,Gordon,bob Ruff, or Herb) who Know that black magic stuff )who will steer to to the correct combo.
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM
marm
My Feedback: (1)

If you did the Y/A F-15 in E form I'd look at twin 90mm's. You could easily get 2kw to 2.3kw from each side and it would fly plenty good. If you aim for 2kw you could have a setup with to probably 9s1p packs, saving weight over a single 120mm pack that could be as big as 10 or 12s 2P. plus twin 90's would give you more room for landing gear, which can get tight in F-15's. Do that and shave as much weight as you can along the build should get you a plenty good model to fly.

Barry
Old 03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

I think RC jet had an article in it which showed a Avonds F15 with a single 120mm fan.

Twin 120mm get incredibly expensive, i think ive only seen video of one twin 120 which was a Byron tornado.

Id suggest you try a single 120mm, go with 12s, the max cells you seem to be able to use and run near 100A.

Check out the EDF calculator
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/fancalc_e.htm

Will give you suggestions as to which motor, fan and cells combo to use.

But with all due respect to marm, very few peope have ever put 2kw into a 90mm fan, 1.5kw is the most in a midi, so youd be looking at schubelers anyway. Two 90mm shubelers would even then be a poorer choice than the same watts into a large single fan as with smaller fans the efflux velocity is higher, thrust less. A larger single gives more thrust but with a lower efflux. ( For the same watts in and design of fan) The F15s a draggy airframe so wont be a speed demon, thrust is probably more important.

The avonds F15 used to be a GDF anyway, with EDF we have more power on tap anyway, im sure a single 120mm fan would be fine.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Here's a link to my e-powered BVM Maverick: [link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=4d1accb98887a21029b0]http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=4d1accb98887a21029b0[/link]. It didn't fly at Florida jets but it is representative of what the 120mm fans are capable of.

Kirk
Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 AM
marm
My Feedback: (1)

well 1.5 is the limit of the old midi spinner, they quite making those a while ago and are now aluminum, the rotor is good for 2kw no prob, but if going over 2kw then yeah DS is the fan to use. And theres gobs of 2kw plus ds setups out there, matter fact no one i know who has DS is under 2.1kw, most are runing 2.3kw. heck not sure if I know anyone with an AP900 under 1.9kw? But with its high pitch it tends to lean that way with lower kv higher volt setups. I totally agree on a single 120 though thinking about it. F-15's are draggy so thrust is gonna be a better friend than speed. And after messing with all the fans I gotta say the TF4000, like kirk is running, is about the best all around fan right now. DS is great but TF can run a much wider range of motors and is plenty good on 10s, which is perfect for current 120mm motor cell limitations. 12s doesnt get you a whole lot more for your extra weight, extra money, and extra charge time.

Barry