Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ziroli F-4 Phantom

I dont know if this is the place to post this or not. If it isnt, please let me know, and I'll see if we can get it moved.

My dad sent me some plans of a plane he was building a few years ago. Its a Ziroli F-4 Phantom. 35" wingspan, 46" length. There is no date on the plans, but the rest of the paper work says 1985. I'm having a hard time finding any info or pictures of this plane. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place to find a canopy, or will i have to vacuum form my own? The paperwork lists a few different ducted fan units to use for this, and im not finding much about those either. Dad told me they werent very reliable, and power was a little lacking. It says you can use a RK-20 or RK-740 with a few different engine choices. Is there any place to find older ducted fan units like this. I realize the newer stuff is probably better, but im still trying to find some information on it. Just for nostalgia i guess. I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

trey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ziroli F-4 Phantom

Trey,
    those plans are for a small ducted fan ( as you already noted). back in the late 80's - early 90's Midwest had several sizes of ducted fans. I had one powered by a K&B .21 rear exhaust and later an OS 25 DF motor. I will say that you need to build very light and they will fly. I took Ziroli's plans for an electric He-162 and mounted one of those old Midwest fans with the OS .25 motor and it flew extremely well and was quite fast. Unlike the Kyosho F-86 with an OS.15 ARF. I found that fan and motor at a local swap meet. Very occasionally you can find them in the swap shop here on rcuniverse or ebay. It appears that electric DF's are the way to go with the smaller stuff. No tuned pipes, simpler to set-up and operate just the cost of the motor,ESC and batteries can be expensive. Check the diameter of the fans on the plans and you will be able to find some electric fans approx the same size. look at ejf.com for info on fans, motors etc. As far as the canopy goes, perhaps you can just make do with something available from SIG. they sell some canopies, regular and bubble type.

Trey,

Check with http://www.kressjets.com They produce the Ziroli Heinkel, F15, & Saab Viggen in kit form. I am sure that they have the F4 some where as well and might be able to help you out.

For power you can go with a Toki 18 or even go with an E Turbax from Jet Hangar Hobbies or the New Vio Jet From BVM. What ever power plant you decide on, keep it light. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Can’t trust them all!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

on a SAD note, as I understand, Bob Kress of Kress jets is on the last stages of Terminal Cancer. I know many of us benefitted from a lot of his creations. They have started a tribute on the Other site.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=kress

but to also keep it on topic, I too had one of these F-4's with a Kress Fan and O.S. /25

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: Aka Bubba

Trey,

Check with http://www.kressjets.com They produce the Ziroli Heinkel, F15, & Saab Viggen in kit form. I am sure that they have the F4 some where as well and might be able to help you out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo41300.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	635680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51902.gif 
Views:	33 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	635681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sy63772.gif 
Views:	30 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	635682  

Thanks for the update, Turbulence.

I wish Bob Kress the best and thank him for all that he has done for this hobby. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

That is a nice looking bird Turbulence. What was your finished weight?
    Can’t trust them all!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know I have no clue that picture is from around 1997-1998

Turbulence

ORIGINAL: Aka Bubba

Thanks for the update, Turbulence.

That is a nice looking bird Turbulence. What was your finished weight?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a link to info about my own design scratchbuilt F-4E Phantom II for 90mm wemotec Midifan. 5 1/2 lbs air retracts, flies great and very scale in outline, balsa and ply, bifurcated exhaust made of fiberglass and epoxy from homemade plug. I might even be able to be talked out of a set of plans, they're cad drawn but not a lot of instructions, scratchbuilding experience a must. Scroll saw parts, no laser cutting yet.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic here, don't come to RCU that often.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=558907&page=6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check with Dennis of JDEnterprise. He has an F-4 that I believe was derived from the Ziroli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a set of the same Ziroli plans for the F15. I got them from Nick originally in 1985 along with a brief printed sheet on how to build it. He also had the F4, Viggen and Henkle. He sold them to Kress jets sometime in the 90's. I got my canopy from Kress a few years ago. Kress now has an F15 that he reduced these plans to build his kit from. Unfortunately I did not get the correct fan for the F15 at the time and it looks like they will no longer be produced. Thought I might try to convert it to electric but don't know if a Wemotec 90mm midi will power it. JHI's would probably be the one to use but at $500.00 it will have to wait a while.

VWTrey I would like to trade you a set of your F4 plans for a set of my F15 plans if your interested and would do the same for anyone that has a set for the Henkle as I have a Kress fan for it.

Ed Waldrep I would like to have a set of your plans for the F4. How much do you want for a set??

my name is john grace and I bought a set of f4 plans originally don by Nick Ziroli. I didn't get any instructions for how to build it however. Does anybody out there have a building instructions set ?