Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jet Powered Glider?

I was looking at the jet powered glider Jason Sommes flew at Florida Jets. I was wondering if any others have tried this? I have a Wren MW54 that I thought I might put on a glider. I don't know much about gliders so I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for a good glider for this size turbine.

Thanks.

Hal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Jet Powered Glider?

im building/assembling a approx 1/4 scale LUNAK.....polish trainer/aero...built in the 50s/60s.....142in span....fullspan flaps/flaperon....18 in blade spoilers.....engine a p60/m44......lots of space in fuse for gear.....since tail/stab is approx 41/2 ft from jet nozzle.....some provision must be made for protection of leading edge of vert fin....im using heat wrap....a fiberglass/foil lined self adhesive tape avaible from summit racing....designed for nascar racing.....the guys at aeroworld used 050 aliminum cuff mounted on 1/4in standoffs....on there ask 21 demo(i think thats the model).....but it is kinda ugly to my eye.....either way engine is mounted on c/g on a pylon...mines scatched from fiberglas/epoxy.....over foam i carved /sanded....lots of filler....airworlds engine mounted is fabricated from alum sheet.....mine looks better but is heavier....more when i get further along on project....kellyps on your mt you will prob. have to shim thrust line upwards.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have ordered an AirWorld Nimbus 4 for Wren 44 power. Its in customs in Sydney for collection tomorrow. Looks good , I''ll let you know how it goes !
    Regards, David Gladwin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,

Haven't you got enough planes already - scrub that as enough never is.

All the best

Ant
    Bandit blaaa this blaa blaa that
    AKA Rutter Le Nutter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,
    Check out the real deal at (Silentwingsairshows.com).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah i ran into that one about a month back.....very impressive...and the v tail is perfect empanege(sp)for exaust gas kelly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi David,

I saw in another thread that you were doing some soaring in NZ . Do you own a sailplane ? I have a Discus and was hoping to do a turbine version of that !

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47472.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	636526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10205.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	636527  
    Marc Thomson
    Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Marc, I mentioned to a soaring friend your Discus and he wanted know if you had flown out of Clermont the week before FJ's.
    Good talking with you as always.
    Bob
    Cincinnati Jet Club, Team Futaba, Esprit Models

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bob,

After a marathon driving session , I'm back home cursing the weather !! Those Discus pictures where taken on Wednesday in Clermont . A great strip for gliders and jets

Marc
    Marc Thomson
    Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Marc,

No I don't own a sailplane but am on the point of buying a new ASK 21 (possibly M ) for lease to my club IF they will get out of the Blanik mindset ! We badly need a decent two seater.

Actually I was flying a Duo Discus on the mountain soaring course at Omarama and had a fabulous time in wave in the DD and also had the "pleasure" of encountering severe turbulence in the rotor ! Climbing at 10 knts in uncannily smooth air in the wave is an amazing flying experience> I have been invited back by one of the instructors (also an ex VC10 pilot ) to enjoy his ASH 25, THAT should be fantastic. (see: www.soaring.co.nz "whats new")

Just off to Sydney to collect my Nimbus.

Envy you your Discus, (are you back on the 767?) back to the old but good Astir on Thursday.

best regards,

David.

PS youre right , Ant, never can have too many !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This photo of an ASK21 from the Airworld Modellbau site. Not sure of the powerplant. Interesting project. I fly mostly hotliners, but this thread has definitely caught my interest!
    Member Self Preservation Society

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forgot the photo...

Name:	Zx72075.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	636621  
    Member Self Preservation Society

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,

The NZ flying in the DD sounds fabulous . Maybe I'll have to make a trip out there ! Our club President is very progressive and worked very hard at convincing some of our members that we needed a good 2 seater as well . He prevailed and we received a new DG 505 last spring . Beautiful bird and so much nicer than the "Tin Can " L-23's an L-13's . We use it for cross country and aerobatics training .

Due to merger/seniority issues and Air Canada flirting with bancruptcy , I've been back on the 767 for a while now but will start 777 training in June [8D] I may be flying YVR direct SYD starting next December .

Marc
    Marc Thomson
    Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,

I will be flying the jet sailplane at the Australia International Airshow in Avalon (near Melbourne) March 20-25. It's on a container ship now making its way across the Pacific. I'm not sure of the weekdays, but for sure I'll fly the Friday night show (with pyro), Saturday and Sunday. I hope to be able to do some soaring while I'm there. If the recent 32,000' paraglider incident is any indication of the soaring conditions...

Here's a direct link to the latest jet sailplane video http://www.silentwingsairshows.com/v...oo_hot_low.wmv

and the night pyro show http://www.silentwingsairshows.com/video/nightshow.wmv

Bob Carlton
    Silent Wings Airshows

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Marc,

Sure you will love the 777. Did a couple of trips on it with my son in law, now a BA captain, like an overgrown 767 with lots of avionic updtaes and wheels which trail the right way !

When you have trip to SYD do let me know and it will be my pleasure to buy you lunch and show you a little of our fabulous city. during your slip.

You would enjoy soaring in NZ and they do have a DG 1000 thre as well as a DD.

Bob , not sure I can get to Avalon, but I wish you every succes with your displays, and a warm welcome in Australia (thats guaranteed ! ) Which engines are you using, my gliding club casts envious eyes on my Pegasus and JC 200 !

Collected the Nimbus today (including two right outer wing panels, it happens) beautifully done including flaps, retractable gear and 3 section ailerons (the DD has outboard ailerons which move up only) but the fuselage may be rather short for turbine power. I will do some temp measurements behind the L39 and let you know how it goes.

Picture is the DD in wave over NZ.

Regards, David Gladwin.

Name:	Ay74946.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	637062  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,

Great pic I have to say though not much of a crumple zone is there (just in case) don't forget the statistics.

Hopefully see you soon this year if your coming over.

Ant
    Bandit blaaa this blaa blaa that
    AKA Rutter Le Nutter