Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetjoe JJ-1200 & JJ-1400 turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetjoe JJ-1200 & JJ-1400 turbines

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:08 AM
TURBOMC
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetjoe JJ-1200 & JJ-1400 turbines

I can't speak for the engines themselves yet (but I will as I get some time on it) but if you want unparalleled service their US distributor is DEFINITELY the go to guy. Gabe Brown is the US Distributor out of New Mexico (www.jetjoeus.com). Though the engines were not favorably received in 2004 and 2005 it looks like they now have a reliable, low cost turbine for those of us that would love to experience the world of RC turbines but can't afford the heretofore established skyhigh prices. I ordered and recieved a JJ-1200 (12.5 lbs thrust) from Gabe and after several phone calls to him he helped get everything ready to go. (Believe me, I was a pain in the backside with the number of calls but he was pleasant, patient and helpful on every call.)

There turned out to be a problem in the ECU so I called Gabe and without hesitation he had me send it back (he picked up the shipping both ways) for exchange. I decided that I wanted a bit more thrust so I asked if I could trade it out for the JJ-1400 ($200 difference, 14 lbs thrust) which he said he would do. I also asked him to ship me a $30 propane regualtor.

He mounted the JJ-1400 on the test bench and called me and let me listen to "my" JJ-1400 run up on the test stand. He put the whole thing in a box with everything still hooked up still on the test stand (it was my stand from the JJ-1200). He called me again to tell me that it was shipped out. He calls when he thinks of something he wants to advise me on (he knows I'm a newbie).

The bigger engine, the testing, and regulator cost me a grand total of $0. He felt bad that the ECU failed on the first one and his biggest concern was that I came away happy with his service.

I can't say enough about the treatment I got from Gabe. He gets a 1,000% satisfied customer rating from me.

I'll keep you posted on the engine's performance. I plan on keeping an accurate log.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Jetjoe JJ-1200 & JJ-1400 turbines

I can attest to Gabes ingenuity. Great guy and a pleasure to work with. I'm happy that JetJoe has inherited the talent necessary to get these engines on the right track. Nice to hear that things are going well for you. All the best to Gabe and his venture.

Luis
Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM
jsf125
My Feedback: (12)

Hey!!

I will 3rd this!! I received top notch service from Gabe. He got my CC melt down all straightened out for me. My cost was shipping, which was nothing to speak of when I got a Brand New Combustion Chamber!! He wanted my old CC in exchange for a new one so he could practice and become very proficient with maintaining/repairing the fuel manifolds. I found this to be very impressive, and am wishing Gabe the best of luck!

A++ all the way. By the way, my 1400 is still roaring strong. Keep up the good work Gabe!

Brandon Vazquez
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jsf125

Hey!!

I will 3rd this!! I received top notch service from Gabe. He got my CC melt down all straightened out for me. My cost was shipping, which was nothing to speak of when I got a Brand New Combustion Chamber!! He wanted my old CC in exchange for a new one so he could practice and become very proficient with maintaining/repairing the fuel manifolds. I found this to be very impressive, and am wishing Gabe the best of luck!

A++ all the way. By the way, my 1400 is still roaring strong. Keep up the good work Gabe!

Brandon Vazquez
Brandon,
Just out of curiosity, how time did you have on the old CC and how time do you have on the new CC?

Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
jsf125
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

ORIGINAL: jsf125

Hey!!

Brandon Vazquez
Brandon,
Just out of curiosity, how time did you have on the old CC and how time do you have on the new CC?

Dave

Hi,

I had about 15 minutes of run time on the old CC (the one that was incinerating itself). I have about 2 hours on the new CC which isn't too terribly high I know, but if the CC was going to incinerate like the last one did, well, it has had plenty of time to do so I think!

In regards to the CC that was incinerating , I could see and audibly notice when a piece of molten metal came out the back of the engine while it was running. I thought the turbine wheel was rubbing every so often, but every time I shut down and checked...nothing. Well, when the sparks got larger and lager, I took the 1400 apart and found the following.(see pics) Again, this was after about 15 minutes of total run time, over a period of three starts! It doesn't take long! Have a look at the pics and you will see what I mean. I am just glad I decided to take the engine apart and have a look. Notice that the "incinerating" stops at the joining face that unites the inner and outer CC walls. I think the inner CC wall was made of a metal that was not suitable for such constant/intense heat.

The new chamber however is fine and the engine is performing flawlessly! I am very satisfied that Gabe and I got it all sorted out.

Brandon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28579.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	642213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82946.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	642214  
Old 03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon,
Glad all is well with your jj1400. Hope you have many more enjoyable hours.

Dave
Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM
PT13Pilot

I've got to throw in a big compliment to Gabe. I've known Gabe since the mid 80's when we met in school and were starting out in R/C. I hadn't seen him in person for 6 years even though we talk regularly. This week I visited him for 3 days while on vacation. We ended up spending most of our time running 4 or 5 Jet Joe engines, including the one that TurboMC talks about. He could have done something else, but was bothered that the engine Turbo had wasn't working the way it should, and wasn't going to be happy untill it did. He was and is determined to make these engines all they can be, not only for himself, but for customers and fellow modelers. I've seen Gabe build a model in a day that takes me a month to complete. When the turbine bug bit him, he hand built a turbine from plans and made it run. His abilities and perserverance has always impressed the hell out of me, and I restore, maintain, and fly full size airplanes and helicopters for a living (and still fly models too). As long as Jet Joe continues to support him and continue to make these engines a viable and cost effective solution to the big $$$$$ guys, you will all have a great person to get parts and service from. I'm considering getting into turbines now, only because I know I won't be going it alone. Give Gabe a chance if you're considering a turbine, you'll be very glad you did!!
Chris J.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I met Gabe at Florida Jets 2007 and watched him set-up a brand new out of the box JJ1400 Autostart for a gentleman from West Palm Beach, Florida. Gabe test ran the turbine and got it performing flawlessly. It ran from 45,000 idle to 160,000 full throttle and I got it all on video! He's a true gentleman, and offered to get my future JJ1400 set-up just as good for my Tamjets F-16 which I brought back to N.C. from Florida Jets.

Greg Hames

Name:	Lj23060.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	645038  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:47 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: PREACHHAMES

I met Gabe at Florida Jets 2007 and watched him set-up a brand new out of the box JJ1400 Autostart for a gentleman from West Palm Beach, Florida. Gabe test ran the turbine and got it performing flawlessly. It ran from 45,000 idle to 160,000 full throttle and I got it all on video! He's a true gentleman, and offered to get my future JJ1400 set-up just as good for my Tamjets F-16 which I brought back to N.C. from Florida Jets.

Greg Hames

Perhaps.... but correct me if I am wrong here.... didn't he spend the ENTIRE DAY messing with this engine just to get it to run? And wasn't he peddling these engines between vendor tents without paying frank for a vendor space? Usually not one to poke fingers but I have less than praise for "Gabes" methods....
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM
bahamadude

And wasn't he peddling these engines between vendor tents without paying frank for a vendor space?

What a hustle heheh !!
Old 03-24-2007, 09:24 PM
PREACHHAMES

LOV2FLYRC = 1st off thank you for the products I just ordered from you last week and the free "Remove Before Flight" flag.

2nd of all = you and Bahamadude are way off here as well. So I must correct you since your comments are off base (per your request in post #9 ".... but correct me if I am wrong here....").

Gabriel Brown came as a pilot only and not as a vendor. He was not "peddling" any products or "hustling" anyone or any organization, and did not display any signage to draw attention to himself. The gentleman from West Palm Beach who purchased the turbine approached where Gabe had his pit and began asking general questions about turbines as Gabe was disassembling the Hawk that performed the viscious snap on landing and went in inverted (certianly spectacular.....got that on video too!) A couple of guys standing around started chiming in with their answers. Gabe allowed the gentleman to hold and look at one of his turbines. He asked if it was for sale and Gabe told him that he wasn't set up to sale anything. The man from West Palm insisted that he wanted to take the turbine home with him, so Gabe sold it.

Total time from out of the box, setting up, charging battery, tweaking, and running was 1.5 hours = not the "entire day."

I, myself, on the other hand was peddling a used ducted fan Byron F-18 along with several other pilots who were peddling their jet equipment....some new....some used.....but ALL had For-Sale signs on them and placed where folks could see them. Pat McCurry actually made a poor approach from the left (I think the ESC's low voltage cut-off stopped the electric engine) with one of Bob Violet's Electra Jets, collapsed the right main gear, skidded across the grass toward the spectators (near Tamjets tent), through the opening in the fence, and hit the nose of my jet knocking off a couple of blisters and putting a crack in the nose (got that on video as well!).

Anyway, I'm not sure how much time you 2 guys actually spent talking with Gabriel Brown on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but I can vouch for his character, business ethics, and the fact that he was at Florida Jets as a pilot and not a vendor.

Best Regards,

Greg Hames
[email protected]
828-428-5633 home
828-291-4058 cell.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: PREACHHAMES
[snip]

Anyway, I'm not sure how much time you 2 guys actually spent talking with Gabriel Brown on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but I can vouch for his character, business ethics, and the fact that he was at Florida Jets as a pilot and not a vendor.

Best Regards,

Greg Hames

Interesting. Just out of couriousity, I checked out www.jetjoeus.com. Guess what it said in big letters at the top?

Jet Joe will be at Florida Jets!

I will have some engines on hand. If you are interested I can put one on the test stand, run it and you can take it home with you.

Sounds like a vendor to me, doesn't it to you? I wonder if he discussed this with Frank Tiano before he made that offer on his website? Do you think Frank would have let him do that for free when he charges others a right pretty penny to be a vendor? How ethical would it be if he DIDN'T talk with Frank? Just asking, mind you...

Bob
Old 03-25-2007, 04:56 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

This type of postings is why RCU is going down a hole.... [][:@]

(in case you wondering, a vendor posting to critice another vendor, somebody defending the comercial interest of another vendor. Now the post becomes a trial on the ethics of the vendor who the poster intended to praise for his customer services actions that were not done at florida jets)
Old 03-25-2007, 08:09 AM
lov2flyrc

Thanks for the reply Greg... However....
Even Gabe admitted he was in error.... And to quote...
"Thank you for you opinion. I agree that was not the most professional moment and it was not all day it was about two hours."
"As for the vendor space it may have been a lapse in judgment and I may try to rectify this matter later with Frank T. I realize that posting this is like putting out road kill for all the cynical vultures to criticize."

Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 PM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

This type of postings is why RCU is going down a hole.... [][:@]

(in case you wondering, a vendor posting to critice another vendor, somebody defending the comercial interest of another vendor. Now the post becomes a trial on the ethics of the vendor who the poster intended to praise for his customer services actions that were not done at florida jets)
Actually, with the exception that the moderators are at times a bit overzelous, I think RCU is just fine.

As I said, I went to the Jet Joe website because I was curious at to what they had and how much it cost (the site doesn't work in the latest version of Firefox or IE 6.0 BTW). When I did, I found the notice that I posted which was contrary to what another poster had said:

Gabriel Brown came as a pilot only and not as a vendor. He was not "peddling" any products or "hustling" anyone or any organization, and did not display any signage to draw attention to himself.
I wasn't defending anyone - Todd can take care of himself, I do believe - I was just posting what I found and the contradiction to what had been previously posted...

Bob

Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 PM
PREACHHAMES

I got my JJ1400 Wednesday, unpackaged it, and mounted it on a test stand (took all of about 35 min. to mount engine and components). I purchased a $5 shelf from Home Depot and secured the vertical mounts from the bottom, screwed the engine down, and used velcro to secure the remaining items. Gabe Brown of JetJoeUS.com took the time to create a 21 page users manual in layman's terms which assisted in aligning my transmitter with the Regal Electronics ECU, general placement of the accessories, and defining all components.

I went by HKY, Hickory Regional Airport, on Thursday to purchase my turbine oil, and Jet-A fuel. I took everything out to my flying field today, screwed the test stand down on an airplane stand, put a new McCoy MC-9 in the turbine, turned on my transmitter, plugged in the accessories battery and receiver battery, advanced the throttle to 100% and then back to idle.

The JJ1400 performed without ANY flaws or hickups! As soon as the monitor's display said "Running," I advanced the throttle and watched the rpms go to 160,700. I played with it for exactly 358 seconds. Ran it a second time an hour later and then again another hour and 1/2 later. To say the least.....I am hooked!

Gabe Brown set all the parameters up on the ECU and test ran the turbine before shipping it to me. It had 5 cycles and 25 min. total time when it arrived at my house on Wednesday. I cannot say Thank you enough to Gabe for making my first turbine experience a complete blast (literally and figuratively).

Sincerely,

Greg Hames
(I should have video by the end of the weekend)

Name:	Hf10397.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	653259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34097.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	653260  
Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Did you have to post this twice, here and the other JJ thread?
Anyway, good luck, as for me I'd rather fly than have to spend endless hours trying to get a JJ running, let alone flying.
Jon
Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 PM
PREACHHAMES

F106A,

I posted on the other thread because it is a JetJoe owner's thread of which I am as of Wednesday this past week.

I posted here because this thread began as one to let people know the lengths that Gabe Brown goes in order to provide excellent customer service. And I quote from the above post:

Gabe Brown set all the parameters up on the ECU and test ran the turbine before shipping it to me. It had 5 cycles and 25 min. total time when it arrived at my house on Wednesday. I cannot say Thank you enough to Gabe for making my first turbine experience a complete blast (literally and figuratively).

I have a total of 62 minutes after today's 3 cycles and all is running beautifully. Also, the only time I spend to get my turbine running is advancing my throttle stick to 100% then back to idle (maximum of 3 seconds and not "endless hours").

Sorry I upset you. I have just really enjoyed owning and running my first turbine.

Sincerely,

Greg Hames
Old 03-31-2007, 09:30 PM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

I'm glad to hear that you got more cycles on it Greg. I guess F-106 didn't read your post very well stating that you got three more cycles and all is running well. He must have been one of the earlier JJ owners.
Steve
Old 04-07-2007, 10:39 AM
PREACHHAMES

Here is my latest video! Clarity of the display unit is a little better. Startup, running, and shutdown at a regional airport near Lenoir, N.C.

I now have around 80 minutes of run time on my turbine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17DIcGW7zxU

Greg Hames
Old 04-08-2007, 03:05 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

First, i can definitely assure you Gabe is an A+ guy, and my JJ 1400 has been running perfect so far.

Here are the running videos, all the vids that start with JJ on this page:

http://www.liorzahavi.com/videos/other/

Today's videos are numbers 2 through 5.

So far im definitely hooked !
Old 09-14-2008, 03:20 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Ok, you guys have been running these things for well over a year now. How are they holding up?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd forgotten all about this. Good question: what is the status??