Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A380

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A380

David
I think he is making a joke, and wants this political banter to stop. I know I do. The aircraft is one I know I will never fly on (I know one is never to say I'll never )
. The plane IMHO is just a mass people mover only viable on LONG haul routes,my trips are usually just with in the contiguous United States . I wish airbus all the luck of the Irish, with the 380. I believe there are only a few airports here(US)able to support the 380 ,LAX/ORD/JFK/DFW/ ??????
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

[snip]

In despair,

David Gladwin
Wrapped just a wee bit tight, aren't we.

Actually, just leave that FAT F$%@ER parked on the hot LA ramp for a few hours and you'll be digging it out!

Ah, back to fixing my busted ***** landging gear from Fl Jets... D#$% crosswind!

Bob
Old 03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry Beave,

Releasing the the brakes after the chocks are in is and has been STANDARD PRACTICE on every jet that I have flown to date. Here at US Airways,.............the world's LARGEST Airbus operator, it is emphasized that it be done quickly to avoid degradation of the hydraulic fluid in the brake pucks..............But what do I know ?

So does anybody else think that the A-380 looks funky on landing??....I think that I might have missed some good stuff, since some posts were deleted.

Tailwinds,

John [8D]
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Deleted agian, Cactus flier has it !!!!

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry John,

But my rinky dinky little airline, which happens to be a lot LARGER than US Airways stresses that you set the brake upon arrival and leave it that way. Of course I suppose the brakes on BOEING jets must be superior to the 3rd world brands because we can "set 'em and forget 'em".

Ahhh...such price is glory. BTW...I have been 121 flying for almost 30 years and never seen a company that had you unset the parking brake after arrival, that is very foolish.

Beave [8D]

>
ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Sorry Beave,

Releasing the the brakes after the chocks are in is and has been STANDARD PRACTICE on every jet that I have flown to date. Here at US Airways,.............the world's LARGEST Airbus operator, it is emphasized that it be done quickly to avoid degradation of the hydraulic fluid in the brake pucks..............But what do I know ?

So does anybody else think that the A-380 looks funky on landing??....I think that I might have missed some good stuff, since some posts were deleted.

Tailwinds,

John [8D]
Old 03-22-2007, 11:42 PM
cactusflyer

Beave, How much profit did your little operation make last year?

Our Busses have brake fans to cool the pads at the gate and during taxi. I'll have to query mi vatos at other rinky dink airlines (NWA AAA, SWA,UAL,DAL) about releasing the parking brakes.....I guess all those wheel chocks are obsolete......Hmmmm The policy is universal for all our fleet types....Airbus and Boeing............'Never seen one get away from us at the gate....I guess they are just happy planes that need minimal restraint.

F-22 Raptor,

I'm one of those Americans doing my best to save the planet from global warming....I fly Wren Turbines...they are very efficient.

Taikwinds,

John
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 AM
bevar

Hi John,

We use both brakes and chocks. I have seen jets that rolled over chocks alone before so I am glad we do what we do. Hey...what ever your POI allows is all that it takes huh? Profit? In the black baby!!!

Beave
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are some pics of the ORD visit. Note the hardwood galley floor, espresso makers, lav with a view, etc. Please ignore the dorks I work with that are in some of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90147.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	647912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16086.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	647913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50540.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	647914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26184.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	647915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97590.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	647916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21779.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	647917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed10341.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	647918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po99420.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	647919  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zm62140.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	647920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb21626.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	647921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te27759.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	647922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35874.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	647923  
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

OUCH
Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
cactusflyer

Yup, we have specific gates in the system that require that the brakes remain set with chocks in place and of course in the frozen "stuff" as well. But to say that releasing the brakes is foolish, [] well we just have to disagree. I just do what they tell me and "they" sign the checks..............BLACK is good!

But just to address an earlier post by rhklenke, the chocks are always used on big jets (little jets too) when they are parked. Sometimes we chock ALL the wheels..................

Adios,

John
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to mention if you keep the brakes locked up you get heat soak at the contact point, creating a big potential for warping due to uneven cooling as well as cooking off the brake fluid.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:21 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Clearly we can't agree about parking brake setting procedure, but any time you guys want to argue I'll take quality, against quantity, anytime, anywhere. My airline dual rated all of its pilots on 757/767 and our operating procedures were standard for both types. 767s had steel brakes , the 757 carbon, but we operated to a common principle that was good for both. I also worked for an airline which had an operational environment (Mach 2 and FL600 ) which UAL and AA despite their size, never got anywhere near, with a 100 % safety record in that environment, so what would we/they know ? Obviously, if I believe some comments, I have threaded my career through 3 rubbish operations, but neither of which have EVER furloughed a pilot !! So, what does being the world's biggest airline (UAL or AA, take your pick ) benefit anyone, I'd MUCH rather work for an airline which has a first class operation, is and has been consistently profitable , safe, and delivers a guaranteed pension (I am retired and OUR pension fund is fully funded and pays an index linked, but minimum 5%, annual pension increase ). There IS more than one way of skinning a cat, or even setting or releasing the parking brake !!

......but the bottom line is DON'T knock the A380 JUST because its European , it WILL be a success, it may just take time, but I just can't wait to climb into my flat bed ex SYD and enjoy a few drinks, nice meals with an flight chef, and a video or three until LHR appears looked after by a beautiful young stewardess, European or Asian who CARES about personal service AND fills my wine glass or coffee cup before its even half empty/full , and yes, having given up with staff travel I pay my own fare........................... and if that is on Etihad, Thai, Malysaian, or QF, all A380 customers, that is UAL/AA/BAs loss.

Give the A380 a fair go and stop knocking it, it is a magnificent aerospace/ engineering achievement. !

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 AM
VLAMGAT

"Give the A380 a fair go and stop knocking it, it is a magnificent aerospace/ engineering achievement. ! "
I agree but have to add: Airbus aircraft provide a better passenger experience. They are quiter to fly in, quiter around the airport environment and best of all its sponsored by a the EU tax system and not the warmongering bomb the hell out of the world for profit american military industrial complex, to quote USA president EISENHOWER
Old 03-23-2007, 07:38 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: VLAMGAT

[snip]

the warmongering bomb the hell out of the world for profit american military industrial complex, to quote USA president EISENHOWER
Yea, that's what we did in WWI, WWII, the Cold War (which ended Communism in Europe BTW), Korea, Vietnam, Kosovo,... Man we made a fortune on those! Of course, it did cost us the World Trade Center, but that's a small price to pay, right?

Jeeze, I haven't fixed those landing gears on my RC MODEL JETS yet - gotta' get back to work...

Bob
Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 AM
In the Haze

"Give the A380 a fair go and stop knocking it, it is a magnificent aerospace/ engineering achievement. ! "
I agree but have to add: Airbus aircraft provide a better passenger experience. They are quiter to fly in, quiter around the airport environment and best of all its sponsored by a the EU tax system and not the warmongering bomb the hell out of the world for profit american military industrial complex, to quote USA president EISENHOWER
You started off ok.
[:'(]
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM
bevar

Doug,

We are talking about airplanes, not cars. Research large jets brake systems and you will see why your statement is without merit.

Beave

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Not to mention if you keep the brakes locked up you get heat soak at the contact point, creating a big potential for warping due to uneven cooling as well as cooking off the brake fluid.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry Beave,

Tailwinds,

John [8D]
John, I'm a Hydraulic Systems Designer for you jet jocks and you are 100% right. You never want to shut down Hyd pressure on "actuation mode". The company I work for did the hyd braking system on the A380, but I wasn't involved with that.

You may picture it like this, Hyd Systems are like an on-off switch, and they like the "off" position.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Sorry John,

But my rinky dinky little airline, which happens to be a lot LARGER than US Airways stresses that you set the brake upon arrival and leave it that way. Of course I suppose the brakes on BOEING jets must be superior to the 3rd world brands because we can "set 'em and forget 'em".

Ahhh...such price is glory. BTW...I have been 121 flying for almost 30 years and never seen a company that had you unset the parking brake after arrival, that is very foolish.

Beave [8D]

>

Sorry Beave,

Tailwinds,

John [8D]
Not familiar with Boeing jets, but there may be a mechanical link for the parking brake system. Sort of the way that Robart retracts "lock" in place at the end points.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
VLAMGAT

A quote from the real american that saved the world from hitler and got dragged into cold war paranoia by defense contractors. not my opineon, HISTORICAL FACT
http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst3...ts/indust.html
Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
F-22-Raptor

But to be paranoid has some benefits. You have twice the ideas and you can wash your back yourself.....
Old 03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
claus vinding christensen

Boing is god Airbus is god.
there is som god in USA and there som god i Europa (remember most of the Amerikans com from Europa ) so in the end ve are all the same
so be flying and be happy
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So is this one of the times where you read something and you take what it means to you? On the entire spech the Words BOMB, HELL and PROFIT are no where to be found, so what exactly did you quote? ah, YES, I get it, your imagination, we all have one, but to say you quote someone and they never said it then what?

Turbulence

A quote from the real american that saved the world from hitler and got dragged into cold war paranoia by defense contractors. not my opineon, HISTORICAL FACT
http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/~hst3...ts/indust.html
Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok guys, closing this one, couple of reasons........

1. It's about a full scale, this forum was allowed to post pictures of full scale jets and this is the ONLY forum on RCU that has this priveledge. However, this post belongs in the full scale forum since it's become a discussion about this aircraft rather than just some cool pictures of jets.

2. Politics don't belong here, and this thread has far to many politics in it already.

So, please remember that while we do allow pictures of full scale jets in the RC jets forum, this is the only forum that does allow so. As a result, if you have pictures of a full scale jet, then great, but a lengthy politically charged debate is not welcome. If you feel the desire to continue the discussion regarding this jet, please start a post in the full scale forum where it belongs.
Thanks