Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

any thoughts on the JHH PhantomII?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

any thoughts on the JHH PhantomII?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:11 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any thoughts on the JHH PhantomII?

Vasek,

I think the 'rotation issue' is more hyperbole than fact. You don't often hear about if from actual owners/flyers of the jet. In the earlier version of the kit, there were quite a few items that were changed when the kit was redesigned

A good idea for anyone considering a choice between the two might be to order the plans and/or instructions from both companies, then take a good look at the photos and construction methods/layout. It might cost you $10, but it's a small price to pay if it helps you to make a choice that leaves you happier in the end. Just an idea.....it sure saved me a lot of headache.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:45 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cook F-4

Paulfromero: there are several JMP F-4s flying with single turbines with setups similar to BVM's F-4. There is a guy with a JMP setup for 2 Ram 500s but he's not sure if he'll leave it that way. There is a little more info here:http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...4&pagenumber=2]
Old 06-12-2003, 01:14 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaun

let me refresh your memory:

Originally posted by YellowAircraft
Sir,

What's happening is that the main gear are a bit more aft than they need to be. It's keeping the plane from wanting to rotate until you've got a mess of speed built up, then it shoots up due to the speed plus the amount of elevator you have to feed in for rotation. There are a couple of solutions:

Raise the nose-gear. On the FS Phantom, the nose gear articulates to help take off. Ours doesn't, so you can raise the nose gear to achieve the same result.

Bend the main gear forward. This isn't a good option if you're using oleo struts on the mains. If it's wire, however, you can bend them a couple degrees forward (you may have to enlarge the wheel well, but not much--and it's worth it).

Use flaps for takeoff. I always use flaps for takeoff, and in the case of the Hornet and the Phantom, it makes enough difference. I don't know if your bird has flaps, but if it doesn't, then maybe mix some flaperon and use about 10 degrees for takeoff.

Hope this helps...
your own words Shaun!

i call it as i see it...
Old 06-12-2003, 02:26 PM
wembler2002

Default F4 nose

John might still have the molds to make the navy conversion for the F-4, try [email protected], if that does not work you can find him on the jet list. If all else fails, I have a mold for that nose.

For scale? I think it is in the eye of the beholder. They are all models, I think the ? to
ask is, which is the best flyer, has the lowest part count for good maitinence, and a price for your budget? If you want super scale, build plastic models. If I look at just the yellow, JHH, BVM, JMP, Centry jet, by themselves, they look very scale. Now put them next to each other, and they all look different.

I have the yellow F-4, I chopped the nose, lengthened the canopy area, and cut back the intakes. That is what I saw wrong, someone else will see something different.
Anyway.....

Just piping in for the first time.
Be well
Bill
Old 06-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Shaun Evans

Vasek,

I was referring to the older kit. If that's the thread you're referring to, as far as the 'research' you did on the planes, you might want to do a little more research. A great deal of the information in that thread was BS. You might want to go back and read the whole thread again. When you do, look for reports from guys who've actually flown the latest kit of the plane, and count how many of them talk about any rotation 'bummers'. I'm just calling it like I see it, not just like I read it.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Goin West

I do think the Jet Hanger F-4 has a nicer outline to it, but the difference isnt enough to make me want to do all the extra work again. It takes about three times longer to build one, and I think they fly the same.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Shaun Evans

Wembler,

Wow. Which kit did you do all that to? I'd love to see some pics if you have any.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:33 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Originally posted by YellowAircraft
Wembler,

Wow. Which kit did you do all that to?

Originally posted by wembler2002

I have the yellow F-4, I chopped the nose, lengthened the canopy area, and cut back the intakes. That is what I saw wrong, someone else will see something different.

Bill

Am I missing something here Shaun?
Old 06-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Shaun Evans

GhostRider,

I don't know if you're missing something or not, but let me clarify my question:

"Which kit, the original Yellow F-4, or the latest Yellow F-4, did you do that to?"

How's that?
Old 06-12-2003, 09:15 PM
wembler2002

Hi Shaun,
I am not sure which kit. I did not know there was two. Mine is the polyester one, I bought it from Kanak when he was representing Yellow. It has the separately molded hatches etc. Is their a new
epoxy version? What did Yellow change to improve on the old one?

I have not finished the plane. The wings are glassed and primed, the fuse is still in its
hacked up stage. It has been sitting for a while, trying to finish other obligations. I will
send photos of the mods I did though, it just isn't pretty yet.
Bill
Old 06-13-2003, 06:28 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Wow,
This is still going. I hope is not to late to jump in.
I had own 4 Y/A F-4. Y/A F-4 are very easy to put together. My first one are ducted fan. I had over 50 flight on my first DF F-4. A year later I start doing the turbine conversion for the F-4. I convert 3 for myself.
I can tell you is very fun plane to fly with turbine power. But it doesn't like flame out. With all the extra weight. It glide like a brick. I think all turbine F-4 are that way.
I haven't see the JHH F-4. But I have heard is alot more works. All the woods you got to cut.
IS THIS TRUE?
Y/A F-4 all the woods parts are pre-cut by manufactor. The wings and stabs even pre-sheeted.
As for Scale looking. In my own opinion. I careless. Because this is to small to do scale work. I rather spend those time on bigger plane. Bigger is better.
BVM, JMP or Century F-4 is better choice for doing scale work.

Shaun,
How is my writing this time?

Tam
My pipe smoke really goooood.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:36 PM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

Default JHH is #1inmy book!

I called JHH yesterday and talked to Larry about the F-4. The information he gave me was priceless. He gives what a lot of manufacturers don't: excellent customer service! When he says he'll be with you thoughout the construction and on to the flying phases, he means it. I still remember the "Iron Eagel" movies where we got to see Larry fly his jets as if they were the real thing. Too bad they had to be "shot down" . Keep up the good work Larry and JHH!

*rcnats*
Old 06-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Shaun Evans

Tam,

Yes, your writing is better grammatically, but that makes it less entertaining to read! I can't 'read' your accent! Plee go back to way it before!

Wembler,

What other jets are you flying? Yes, I'm curious to see a pic or two when you can.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:12 PM
RussoHungarian

Default Customer Service?

The customer service was fine, until I mentioned that I was considering buying another mfgr's A-4 kit. Then, it just turned into a big tirade about how all these other companies are evil. They were quick to badmounth everybody and their mother, so I stoped buying. As far as the F-4 goes they fly about the same but the Yellow costs less & is much easier to build by far. Infact when I bangup my JHH F-4 I replaced the stabs with the Yellow ones so I would not have to go through all that carving and sanding agian.

Larry, how about a little pre-fab (or, at least drop your prices)???