Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avonds F15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avonds F15

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Mart (Ham)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avonds F15

Hi guys,
I bought a second hand avonds F15 aiframe and have Just finished fitting the radio and turbine, this model has just the elevons fitted can anyone tell me what the correct throws should be.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM
weasel33

Default RE: Avonds F15

As much as you can get on full rate then reduce by a third for normal flying
thats how i set mine up
full rate is controlled by the retract switch soon as the gear goes up
it automatically reduces, no looking for the rate switch, thats on a Futaba WC2

Brian
Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Jet builder

some information about the avonds F-15

SPECIFICATIONS
CENTRE OF GRAVITY (C of G)
The location of the centre of gravity depends on fuel load. Because we carry lots of fuel in a turbine model, we have to take that into account. The fuel system on turbine F-15’s varies depending on the type of turbine. Because of the different fuel tank capacities, we give a range wherein the C of G must be located. The nominal C of G is located at 100 mm in front of the forward edge of main fuselage former F-4. The C of G may shift as much backward as 15 mm (85 mm from F-4) when empty or with maximum fuel in the aft tanks and as much forward as 45 mm (145 mm in front of F-4). The latter is with a full forward tank and empty aft tanks. Always make sure that you stay within the fore and aft limits but try to get as close as possible to the nominal C of G at 100 mm in front of F-4.
CONTROL THROWS
This model is controlled in flight by means of the tailerons (or stabilators). They operate together for pitch control and differentially for roll control. In pitch control, the trailing edge of each stabilator should move 35 mm either side and in roll control, they should move 25 mm either side.

Rudders are not used on this model although the AMA in the USA has decided rudders are essential on turbine powered models… We do not agree with that view but in order to satisfy our US customers, rudder installation instructions are now provided separately for them. Other modellers wishing to install active rudders may call us and we will send the relevant instructions.

Nose wheel steering needs a throw of 20 degrees either side.
DIMENSIONS
Length: 2160 mm
Wingspan: 1450 mm
Wing area: 100 dm²
Wing loading: 100 g/dm²
Weight: 10 Kg (depending on turbine)
RECOMMENDED POWER
The PA130 and PA140 kits are designed to be powered by a turbine as from 6 Kg (13 lbs.) of thrust up to 10 Kg (22 lbs.) of thrust. The PA120 kit has the necessary reinforcements to be powered by a turbine as from 9 Kg (20 lbs.) of thrust up to 13.5 Kg (30 lbs.) of thrust.

The instructions show a typical installation of the AMT Pegasus turbine. The CAD plan included with this kit reflects the turbine you wish to install. If for any reason, your plan shows another turbine, we will be glad to exchange it for the correct one.
RECOMMENDED V MAX
The F-15 is designed to withstand the stresses imposed by high speed flying although we want to caution against using this model for speed trials. We therefore suggest never to exceed the speed (V MAX) of 260 km/h or 160 mph.
RECOMMENDED RETRACTS
Spring Air #402 retracts (SA402)
RECOMMENDED RADIO EQUIPMENT
A modern PCM computer radio is essential for all turbine powered models. It offers all the mixing possibilities ever needed in the F-15 and furthermore, the PCM allows the FAIL-SAFE to be programmed for turbine shutdown. Because of the high kerosene fuel loads in turbine models and the potentially higher impact velocities, they are more prone to post crash fires. A good way to minimise fire hazards in the event of a total loss of radio control is to program the FAIL-SAFE for turbine shutdown.
OTHER ITEMS REQUIRED
You will need the appropriate support equipment to operate the turbine of your choice. We also recommend our optional cooling fan assembly for optimum post shutdown cooling (PA240
Old 04-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Mart (Ham)

Thanks guys,
some really good and detailed information there. Hope to fly her tomorrow.

THANKS AGAIN
Martin[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Jet builder

I have some question about the setup.

The nominal C of G is located at 100 mm in front of the forward edge of main fuselage former F-4.
But to be sure, what is former F-4?
Is that the former undernead the turbine. Or the former, where you also bolt the pipe to?

Here under some pics, of my F-15. Still need some work to do. Batteries are still loose, this for getting a right CG

THe nose was cracked, but with some CA, filler and Paint it is back to normal

Also underside of fuse needed a new paint-job, it had lots of cracks in it. (landing outside of the feelt, that damaged the plane)
Old 05-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

Your picture does not show the bridge acrossed the main bulk head. This is a mod update on later turbine versions and I believe can be retro fitted plus it gives you a way to secure your pipe tight against the bypass on top. Also your tanks look really small. Minimum with your AMT 180/Mercury should be 80oz. That will give you about 5 minutes and not much more. You can purchase nice kevlar tanks that and boost your fuel load to 120. oz and eliminate the center tank. The main tanks are real close to the cg so balance isnt and issue and helps with trim in flight as well. Good luck

mb
Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree 100% with Mark's comments on the tanks. Peter Agnew at Intairco makes some really good Kevlar tanks for the avonds F15. I have them in mine and they are a perfect capacity for my Simjet 3000. Fittings are excellent and he has a simple mod to prevent the retracts from puncturing the tanks in the event of a heavy landing. Capacity is around 3.5 litres I think. Fittings are Festo and you can specify the type you would like.

Another problem you might encounter is wear in the slots of the main retracts. Peter also makes and fits custom scissors to the stock avonds struts. Fixes the problem which will manifest very quickly if you fly off grass. The scissors are very strong and highly recommended. I would post some pics but RCU soesn't allow me to upload pics with Safari

Hope that helps,

Craig.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Jet builder

This F-15 also has the bridge on the main bulk head.
But i mounted new fuel/retract lines, and i still need to mount the bridge back in the plane.

All fuel tanks together, i have 2.2 liters of full on board (whitout the UAT).
I now they are small, but i first want to maiden the plane, before i will buy other tanks.

Those scissors are a must for real. For now, i made the slot a little bigger, and mounted new boults whit a bigger head. So they are a nice fit now, but i will be flying of gras.

greetings Paul
Old 05-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

Set your timer for 41/2 minutes to give you time enough for a go around, check your fueling remaining and fly again maybe to 5 minutes.

mb
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

i also got a second hand avonds f-15
ram 1000 autostart for power
airmagic gear
flew for first time 2 weeks ago
very happy with it
vinny