Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

OS.91 Re Chrome

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

OS.91 Re Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS.91 Re Chrome

Anyone think it would be possible to re chrome a sleeve-then you could take a small hone to it.

Jackjet
Old 02-18-2002, 08:18 PM
jason

Default OS.91 Re Chrome

The OS liners are not chrome plated from new, I belive they are nickel. I do know someone who has removed the original coating and applied a proper hard chrome coating on it with great success in high performance racing engines.

jason
Old 02-18-2002, 08:27 PM
Jackjet

Default Re Chrome OS.91 DF Sleeve

Originally posted by jason
The OS liners are not chrome plated from new, I belive they are nickel. I do know someone who has removed the original coating and applied a proper hard chrome coating on it with great success in high performance racing engines.

jason
Jason,
yes, I knew they were nickel plated-but I wonder why they peel so easily......? and who is the person who can plate them with real chrome-can you put me in touch with them ?
Thanks,Jackjet
Old 02-18-2002, 09:59 PM
jason

Default OS.91 Re Chrome

I spoke to Ian Bracken at the UK importers of OS engines he explaned that OS can nickle plate liners 10 times as fast as proper hard chrome but they do expect some back for warranty repairs but it's still worth there while doing it the cheap way. Ive had loads replaced on warranty on OS 46 & 90 engines without a problem. The person who had his liner chrome plated worked for irvine engines in the uk and he got it done buy the company who does the chrome plating on the liners in there engines.
I did get a bit tired with returning them so I got a company with the word Performance in there name( not sure but may be performance specialtys over there in the states) to supply me a hard chrome piston and liner and put that in my 46 and its been in there for at least 7 years now and is still fine.

jason
Old 02-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Bill Harris

Default re chrome 91 sleeve

Hi Jackjet,
Years ago we had a similar problem with the OS77 peeling and scratching the cylinder. A good friend of mine, Dennis Crooks found a guy in the Chicago area by the name Of Bob Oge (pronounced ogee) who did hard chroming on model engines. If I remember right, he was big in u-control speed. Hence the need to do his own engines. He also could make those puppies get and run in a Dynamax fan unit. I see Bob's name from time to time in the AMA mag. Maybe you could call Muncie and see if they have a listing for him. Hopes this helps you. Bill Harris
Old 02-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Jackjet

Default Re Chrome OS.91 DF Sleeve

Jason,
thank you for the info.
Bill,
thank you for the info.

Jackjet
Old 02-19-2002, 01:58 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Hard Chromed Cylinders

Jack,
Here's the info and contact.
Dave Shadel
Performance Specialties
Gardnerville, Nevada

www.pspec.com

He has pistons and cylinders for most popular engines. All are hard chromed ABC or AAC assemblies. He can fix you up.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
Buy American!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:47 AM
Jackjet

Default Re: Hard Chromed Cylinders

Originally posted by Harley Condra
Jack,
Here's the info and contact.
Dave Shadel
Performance Specialties
Gardnerville, Nevada

www.pspec.com

He has pistons and cylinders for most popular engines. All are hard chromed ABC or AAC assemblies. He can fix you up.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
Buy American!!!!!!
Harley,
I called Dave 2wks. ago-he said he is not making them anymore right now......................Darn....

Jackjet