Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft Starfire retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft Starfire retracts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM
mowery1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft Starfire retracts

Does anyone know if only wire gear can be used on the yellow aircraft starfire?? Looks like one I saw in a pic had struts.. Lastly do you use a separate airvalve and separate channel on receiver for the brake setup..probably a newbie question but I thought this would be the best place to find out..Thanks for the help...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Yellow Aircraft Starfire retracts

Absolutely, wire works fine. Up to 12 pounds or a smidge more the BVM 5/32" wire struts and axles are good, over that use the 3/16" wire struts. The BVM wire struts are made from consistantly tough wire unlike some of the other ones you see. If you want to use a non-BVM wire strut just go with the thicker 3/16" item in any case.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Chris is correct, you can get away with 5/32" if you use a stiff wire. When I did use wire, I used 3/16" because that's what came with the heavy-duty SpringAirs I was using at the time.

You will want to use a seperate air system for the brakes. Lots of guys get away with using the same tank and fill valve for the main gear, but if something happens to one system, the other goes, too. I've had a few times when my brake line got ground through by one of the wheels. When that happened, my brakes failed due to an empty air tank. If my gear had been on the same loop, I'd have bellied in.

Is there a reason you don't want to use struts? The Robart straight robostruts are plenty good enough for this airplane. BVM sport wheel and brakes are the best ones for this bird, in my opinion. They work fine witout any mods with the Robart struts. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:07 PM
mowery1

I talked to the guy a yellow aircraft international and he said that I couldn't use struts...said the wing wasn't thick enough..said i had to use the wire gear...I really wanted to use struts to be honest..
Old 04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: mowery1

I talked to the guy a yellow aircraft international and he said that I couldn't use struts...said the wing wasn't thick enough..said i had to use the wire gear...I really wanted to use struts to be honest..

?????????

Uhh....if that's what was told to you, I would have to respectfully disagree as I've used nothing but struts on the 6 or 7 Starfires I've built. My number is 619-944-7574. I welcome you to call me anytime you have any questions about Y/A.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of mine with struts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56238.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	668284  
Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

I second that, here's mine with struts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37257.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	668293  
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Shaun Evans

Mr. Mowery,

Take a look at Robart #715RS tri-gear set. They're strut-ready, with 85 degree mains (to compensate for the dihedral) and a 90 degree nose. Those will drop into the Starfire just fine. Don't get me wrong, the black Y/A gear are excellent gear (better than Robart, IMO) but they're reverse-cylinger gear, so you'd have to do a little extra work on the wing to use them. Good luck, and gimme a call if you have any questions.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Mitchell-RCU
My Feedback: (49)

I used the Robart 550RS mains and the BVM nose gear for the bandit in mine. You will need two Robart 380 robostruts and one 380 LH offset for the nose. I can send you some pictures if you want.

Mitchell
Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 PM
mowery1

Pictures would be great!! I appreciate it very much..Thanks...Rick
Old 05-11-2015, 05:26 AM
number27

Anyone put a set of Electric retracts and electric brakes in one of these yet. My friend is planning on putting a K80G and am doing research for him as he is time poor. Have come up with a few alternatives Robart 530 or 551 with Inatirco Brakes or Trim Aircraft Electric retract and brakes etc.