Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Orbit ECU for KJ-66???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Orbit ECU for KJ-66???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Jonboy-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orbit ECU for KJ-66???

I recently bought a used Kj-66 turbine with starter motor. I am now looking to get the rest of the stuff I need to get the thing running. I am looking at buying an Orbit ECU, pump and everything else I need. Is anyone out there flying a turbine with Orbit electronics. Is there stuff any good? It's my first turbine, so I just thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone can help. I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:10 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Default GB Electronics

Consider the GB Electronics (Bruce Rattray) unit - they mfgr the electronics for the TJT turbines . There is a North America distributor and LOTS of expertise on their ECU/TCU with the homebuilt crowd here in COS.

Mike
Old 02-22-2003, 07:52 PM
gerhard

I can highly recommend the Projet Eagle. Since I switched to the projet stuff, I was hundred percent satisfied for more than 400 flights.
Check his web site, I think it s worth. You should also pay attention for his accessories and other stuff. Have a look for his door sequencer, and you will never run out of channels.
http://projet-ecu.de/http://projet-ecu.de/

gerhard
Old 02-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Kelly W

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ECU's

I don't know who handles GB Hobby in the US, but the Canadian sales rep is Len Gladstone. His RCU name is 'Len', send him a PM for more info. The GB Hobby guys also manufacture the electronics for PST Jets.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you consider Gaspar's FADEC ECU. Both are very good products, have very little in the way of EMI generation, and will run a KJ quite nicely.

Good luck.
Kelly
Old 02-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Robrow

Default Latest Fadec Autostart ecu.

Consider this, the size of your average thumb & V.smart.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57482_3026.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	35853  
Old 02-22-2003, 10:50 PM
The Flying Scot

I am using the Orbit ECU with full auto start on a Behotec 66 and also the older manual start orbit on a KJ66 both perform well.

I did have a problem with the gas solenoid on the autostart ECU when I first received it but they replaced it immediately and it has never let me down.

Arthur
Old 02-23-2003, 12:45 AM
1Eye

Default Thumb-Sized ECU?

Robrow said ...
Consider this, the size of your average thumb & V.smart.
>>>

Cool - so, what's the skinny/source on the little ECU?

Mike
Old 02-23-2003, 01:03 AM
Sundownee
My Feedback: (30)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto start ecu's

I myself just bought a new GB auto start ECU system from Len for my Kj66 from Merton Moore. One thing I would recommend is also order the hall effect tach, which has a magnet behind the nut and a sensor board behind the bell mouth of the inlet of the turbine. No thru holes needed, I have heard of problems with some infra red system shutting down of incorrect tach readings from reflective sun light hitting the sensor. But thats up to you to make a decision, just thought I put my experience to work here. Here is some pic's of the on board tach sensor board with no thru holes.

Paul
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2003, 01:05 AM
Sundownee
My Feedback: (30)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECU and TCU

here is a pic of the ECU and the TCU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57520_13180.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	35855  
Old 02-23-2003, 02:13 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am building a KJ66 from Artese plans - and I decided to get the GB ecu (from Len here in Canada) as I have heard/read great things about it.

I run my MW54 with the Fadec, it is also a great little ECU but I wanted the user-definable parameters that the GB offers that the Fadec does not. On the Fadec you can only adjust the start ramping, the top end RPM and thats about it. I think the GB willbe far more "fun" to play with setting up the turbine for optimum running/starting.

I have only read about the Orbit, it also appears to be a good one, but not as popular as the fadec or the GB - at least you dont hear about them as much.

AJC
Old 02-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Andrew,
I'm sorry to correct you, but you don't own a FADEC ecu, you own a JDEnterprises ECU. Both share the same hardware, but the JDE have a different, custom software and most of the adjustments are reserved to the manufacturer. This is necessary to have the engine approved by AMA.

The FADEC Autostart software have 27 parameters adjustable by the user in the autostart version, and 11 in the manual version, that include the ramping up/down and closed loop stability.

Under request I can supply the ecu with the possibility of to modify the ramps up/down in 8 points each. This raise the number of user adjustable parameters to 59. Usually the only people interested in this are the manufacturers.

Regards,

Gaspar
Old 02-23-2003, 02:29 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Gaspar, I wasnt aware of that - that you can adjust all the parameters on some of the ones you sell.

Just out of curiosity - do you have a US or Canadian dealer? Or do you have to deal direct with you?

AJC
Old 02-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Andrew,

My US Dealer is JD enterprises, and soon I will have a Canadian dealer. Also you can order from Wren or Artesjet, if you order other parts for your engine, you will save the shipping costs.

Mail me directly at [email protected] for any question or if you need the instructions manual.

Gaspar
Old 02-24-2003, 04:19 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Guys,

Just lurking here checking out the action from Florida Jets...

We are the North American distributor for GB Hobby. We have been doing the software upgrades locally and servicing the GB TCU systems for two years.

If you have any sales or service questions please feel free to email us at [email protected] Also the manual is available electronically for those that are so inclined.

Len Gladstone
Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
ajay200126

Default RE: Orbit ECU for KJ-66???

i want a second hand turbine control unit can u help me

not a new one second hand working

i am from india