Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who's using Mobil DTE light oil?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who's using Mobil DTE light oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who's using Mobil DTE light oil?

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Jason

I am sure Wren told me that Castrol TTS synthetic two stroke oil was ok. Has this advice now been rescinded?

regards

John
John

Yes

jason
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason

Thanks!

John
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Ray Davis

DTE Light Circulating Oil, IOS Grade 32, SAE 10, can be purchased from McMaster-Carr in one gallon containers.

Sarah....I believe you at one time suggested 3% oil for the 44-Gold...no? (If I recall, reason being the smaller oil passages 'needed' a lower viscosity....though perhaps that was w/ lubes other than DTE). That still true?

I.e., what is WREN's recommended lube percentage using DTE LIght in the 44-Gold? Tx!

Ray

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Hi Ray!

Wren's stand is to never fall below the minimum 3% for the 44, and it would be perfectly acceptable to bump up the ratio to 4% if you are so inclined. I have just begun to use the DTE myself in the shop. I will report on the findings after using it for a fair amount of time.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
jason

I'm not saying that Wren would recommend it but I have always used 5% in all my engines including the 2 or 3 MW44's I have owned. I can't remember having any bearing or lube issues.

jason
Old 08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Robrow

DTE works at least as well as any other oil, I've said it many times before, been using it for several years on lots and lots and lots of different engines.

Rob.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone tried using Mobil 1?? Nascar uses it so maybe it will work in turbines too??
V..
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM
JetCatJimmy

From what I see here, the only turbine that JetCat has investigated was run continuously for 39 hours. No one is going to say whether or not the coking was related to this extended runtime or the oil itself. Their recommendation to not use it is solely based on the fact that it hasn't had the testing performed on it like turbine oil has.

I would be interested to see anyone with a JetCat engine running DTE oil for more than 15-20 hours send that turbine in for service. This should give us a definitive answer whether or not JetCat engines are "officially" capable of running it safely.

Everything else, outside of the people actually running it, is just speculation. I'm looking forward to answers - even if I have to find them myself.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Vin:

The DTE Light 5 gallon jug has a NASCAR seal of approval on it. As with Mobil 1, not sure what they use it for.

I have been using DTE Light, now in my second season. I run it in my Wren 160's, 54SS, Rhino, P-70, and this season in my Pegasus HPNL, all at 5% dilution. So far no problems. I did pop the can off one of my Wren 160's when I installed the upgraded tail cone. Totally clean combustor. No bearing problems so far in any of my motors, but still low time on them. I will be popping off the 160 cans at the end of the season again. Should have about 30 hrs hours on at least one of them. I do have a P-180, Titan SE, and 160SX, but none is in a flyable bird right now, so no experience with the bigger JC motors yet.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
JetCatJimmy

I'm thinking that the suggestion to not use DTE in JetCat engines is simply that... a suggestion. It's really helpful to see how many people here are having success with this less harmful oil. Really, the only bad example we have is the military customer.

JetCat, I would hope that with further inspection of turbines that are using DTE you would be open to broadening your list of turbine oils. This is definitely a good thing for our hobby.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:40 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JetCatJimmy

From what I see here, the only turbine that JetCat has investigated was run continuously for 39 hours. No one is going to say whether or not the coking was related to this extended runtime or the oil itself. Their recommendation to not use it is solely based on the fact that it hasn't had the testing performed on it like turbine oil has.

I would be interested to see anyone with a JetCat engine running DTE oil for more than 15-20 hours send that turbine in for service. This should give us a definitive answer whether or not JetCat engines are ''officially'' capable of running it safely.

Everything else, outside of the people actually running it, is just speculation. I'm looking forward to answers - even if I have to find them myself.
My P-60 had considerably more than 20 hours with DTE light on it when I sent it in for conversion to SE. Didn't tell Jetcat that I'd been using DTE light and they made no mention of coking or problems with the combustion chamber or nozzles.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:56 PM
JetCatJimmy

Thank You! That's the kind of information we're looking for. I think this is great news.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
viper48

I talked to my suppiler today and he told me that he dose not carry the Mobil DT Light, but does carry the Texaco Regal R&O 32 and saidthat it is the same oil, has anyone used this oil?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM
JetCatJimmy

You can get Mobil DTE here fairly cheap - and they'll ship it to your door.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2158k14/=3h1b08
Old 09-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

It costs me $64.00 for 5 gallons including tax..
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link. I just got a gallon sent to my door. They were reasonable about the shipping too - about $6 for the gallon, so the total was $26. Obviously I would have saved money if I had bought 5 gallons, but I wasn't ready to buy that much yet.

How many ounces of this weight oil would I add to 5 gallons to get a 2.5% mixture?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Synthetic

ORIGINAL: Socomon

Thanks for the link. I just got a gallon sent to my door. They were reasonable about the shipping too - about $6 for the gallon, so the total was $26. Obviously I would have saved money if I had bought 5 gallons, but I wasn't ready to buy that much yet.

How many ounces of this weight oil would I add to 5 gallons to get a 2.5% mixture?
When you are ready to buy 5 gallons....The last time I bought a five gallon pail of it it was a total of $64.00 including shipping and all taxes...That's six times as much as you bought for a little more than twice the cost...
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

For those in Canada Esso sells Mobil DTE light rebranded as Teresso 32. The local distributor says its the exact same oil. I ordered DTE Light and he checked the price and then checked the notes in the computer and they said Teresso 32 was the same and in stock much cheaper. He was surprised we are buring it as it is not designed to be burned...
I got a 20L pail for $68 cad. No experience running it - just passing on the info.

Since then I have read of a lot of people have had success with 2C Ester (fully synthetic) oils. I'm new to turbines but this makes more sense to me as they are intended to be combusted. JetCentral says either will work fine in my Rabbit and I have lots of 2C synthetic from my prop planes so I will be using it.

After reading the MSDS for Aeroshell which everyone where I live seems to be using I was quite shocked... potentially nasty stuff!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
gruntled

ORIGINAL: Synthetic
When you are ready to buy 5 gallons....The last time I bought a five gallon pail of it it was a total of $64.00 including shipping and all taxes...That's six times as much as you bought for a little more than twice the cost...
Please post a link for next time.

Steve
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Synthetic

ORIGINAL: Synthetic
Please post a link for next time.

Steve
Steve,
I don't buy it online. I buy it at a local petroleum distributor here in town. The companies name is SACO Petroleum in Springfield, MO. I just order it from them and then a couple days later drive over and pick it up. I don't know if they will drop ship it other places or not. They are located on National Ave. in Springfield, MO and I bet if you Google it you'll find them and can give them a call and see if they will ship it to you.

The last time I bought a five gallon pail of it was last year when oil costs were higher than now but I don't know if it will be the same price or higher or lower....

Hope this helps....
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
gruntled

OK - When you said it included shipping and taxes, I assumed it was online. I'll check out some local distributors next time.

Steve
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Here is the data sheet for the Teresso... slight difference in the published numbers for DTE Light 32. Probably due to testing by Esso vs. Mobil...
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-Eng...rbine_Oils.pdf
Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Synthetic

OK - When you said it included shipping and taxes, I assumed it was online. I'll check out some local distributors next time.

Steve

Steve,
I said the company name was SECO but actually it is SACO.
Here is their information...

Saco Petroleum Inc
(Saco Petroleum, Inc*, Morris Oil Products*)
500 N National Ave
Springfield, MO 65802-3642(Springfield, MO Metro Area)
Phone: (417) 869-7333

All of the times I have ordered it they in turn had to order it and have it shipped to them but the shipping was in the price they sold it to me for.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM
gruntled

Roger that. Thank you for the info.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Synthetic

Roger that. Thank you for the info.

You're welcome....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.