Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Who's using Mobil DTE light oil?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Who's using Mobil DTE light oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 PM
JetCatJimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who's using Mobil DTE light oil?

ORIGINAL: Socomon

ORIGINAL: JetCatJimmy

You can get Mobil DTE here fairly cheap - and they'll ship it to your door.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2158k14/=3h1b08
Thanks for the link. I just got a gallon sent to my door. They were reasonable about the shipping too - about $6 for the gallon, so the total was $26. Obviously I would have saved money if I had bought 5 gallons, but I wasn't ready to buy that much yet.

How many ounces of this weight oil would I add to 5 gallons to get a 2.5% mixture?
5% of 1 gallon = 6.4 ounces. 2.5% would be 3.2 ounces. So, for 5 gallons - 16 ounces would give you a 2.5% mixture in 5 gallons.

I wrote all this stuff on my fuel can in Sharpie so I never have to do the math again.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the strange enomalies of this life and against the trend for everything in the US being bigger, a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon.

Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 AM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Socomon

You can get Mobil DTE here fairly cheap - and they'll ship it to your door.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2158k14/=3h1b08
Thanks for the link. I just got a gallon sent to my door. They were reasonable about the shipping too - about $6 for the gallon, so the total was $26. Obviously I would have saved money if I had bought 5 gallons, but I wasn't ready to buy that much yet.

How many ounces of this weight oil would I add to 5 gallons to get a 2.5% mixture?
5% of 1 gallon = 6.4 ounces. 2.5% would be 3.2 ounces. So, for 5 gallons - 16 ounces would give you a 2.5% mixture in 5 gallons.

I wrote all this stuff on my fuel can in Sharpie so I never have to do the math again.
Thanks Jimmy - I had the impression from something Eric @ Jet Central had said one time that the ratio was somehow effected by the thickness (or ?) of the particular oil being mixed. I may well have misunderstood what he was saying.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 AM
david101

Anyone still alive here re: turbine oils???????

I can get locally (Michigan) an equivalent oil to DTE light for $51.80 per 5gallons. It is from Petro Canada and is called Super Turbo Flow 32. Oil supplier says it is equivalent. I checked some basic characteristics and it appears to be so. Any one have experience with oil characteristics who can check???????
Thanks for any help.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
KXH121
My Feedback: (20)

I am curious about any reports from long term Jetcat users as to whether they have noticed any negative effects on any of their turbine parts (from 25 hour scheduled maintenance reports). Ready to make the switch.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM
david101

Sent my p60 in at 35 hours for first maintenance. Used Aeroshell oil no issues. Am exploring other oil options. No bad reports that I can remember on this forum.

Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have read through this thread about using DTE as an alternative to turbine oil.Everything is referencing the usewith turbines, which I understand why, but hasany of the DF guystried using it withglow fuel? I know the other brands of turbine oil have been mixedwith glow fuel with good success.

My fuelis Wildcat 15% nitro and 18% synthetic oil. I know the 18% is lower than required so I wanted to boost it up with some turbine oil. I would like to use the DTE if it is saferto use than theother brands of turbine oil. This fuel will be used in aStarfire II I picked up. This is my first jet and the Starfire hasan OS91, Dynamax fan with pitot pressure, JMP pipe, and a BVM mixture valve.

A few weeks ago I bought some DTE and put an ounce in my fuel jug. Today I was looking inside my jug of fuel I did not like what I saw.I have included apicture of what I saw in the jugas well as the DTE I purchased.Is this normal or is there a compatibility issue?Do you normally getthis stuffwhen using the other brands of turbine oil with glow fuel? I don't want to run this in myjet if the fuel is now contaminated.

The jughas been sitting for a few weeks since I mixed it butI don't think it got old or stale that fast.The fuel itself is fresh as it was purchased this past April in Toledo. I buy it thereasthere are only a couple of hobby shops around here. Only one has someWildcat fuelbut not anything for jets. Plus he is charging over $20 a gallon for what I bought in Toledo for $13.My fuelis kept in an air conditioned basement in the box on a wooden shelf. So it was also in the dark and not exposed to any light.

I tried shaking up the jug to see if this stuff would mix up and disappear but it did not.....

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide...
Bill
Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It appears that it is not at all miscible in alcohol. stick with two stroke oils that you know that work. Scotty
Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

No Problems in Kerosene. It stays clear.

Must be the Alky.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
thebluemax

ORIGINAL: GSR
It appears that it is not at all miscible in alcohol. stick with two stroke oils that you know that work. Scotty

ORIGINAL: Meesh
Must be the Alky.

That is what I think it is too. I will get a quartof BP2380 as that seems to work with glow just fine.

thank guys for the responses...
Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
juanjulian
My Feedback: (9)

Bill

ThinK you are confusing the idea of turbine engine motors and 2stroke glow fuel engines.

You need a two stroke oil preferably for glow fuel (methanol) and rc use. Should be looking probably for the sintetic oils used in rc helicopters that are lighter than the normal ones.

Check Klotz oil in their rc page.

Cheers,

Juan
Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM
thebluemax

Hi Juan,
Thanks for your reply. Idon't think I am confused but being new to jets I definitely could be. So Ido appreciate all the help I can get.

I saw threads where turbine users are using for example BP-2380 turbine oil for additional lubrication. I have also seenthreads where the D/F guys are using about one ounce of BP-2380 turbine oil in their glow fuel fortheir OS-91's for addtional lubrication.I am assuming it is the same oil.

So I thought that since some of the turbine usersare substituting DTE for the BP-2380 because of the "cancer risks",couldDTE be substituted inglow fuel as a substitute for BP-2380. From what I cansee in my fueljugthat I mixed it does not look like it.

I havebeen looking into Klotz. My other option is to buy glow fuel for D/F like Wildcat Jet-A.Unfortunatelymy hobby shop availability is not that good and the ones I do go to,do not carry it. The other thing is I would like to be able to use the 2 stroke fuel I already have instead of adding another one.
thanks again.....

Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW
Helicopter fuel has the highest oil content of any of the glow fuels.
I run 30% Heli fuel in ALL glow engines that I own and have never yet worn an engine out.

I think that as a few have mentioned, you are confusing a "jet airplane" that has a glow ducted fan with a "jet airplane" that has a turbine.
The glow engine does not know or care what is connected to the crankshaft, be it a fan, a prop or a gear. the glow engine just want to keep its piston going up and down, and the crank round and round.

The glow fuel industry is quite mature. most all of the modern fuels are good. If you feel you want a little more lube than the fuel you have, I add 1oz of castor oil to every gallon of glow fuel. I have yet to find a glow fuel that the castor will not mix and stay mixed in. Castor has some real benefits over an all synthetic oil fuel.

As far as adding turbine oil to your glow fuel, turbine oil is made for a different application than what the glow fuel environment is. It may make things worse. Turbine oil is a petroleum product, many of the components in the glow fuel system are not compatible with petroleum products. The turbine oil most likely will damage the silicone fuel lines and the O-rings in the carb. Once the O-rings start to leak and your mixture goes lean, then you burn up the whole engine.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM
thebluemax

ORIGINAL: flyinfool1

FWIW
Helicopter fuel has the highest oil content of any of the glow fuels.
I run 30% Heli fuel in ALL glow engines that I own and have never yet worn an engine out.

I think that as a few have mentioned, you are confusing a "jet airplane" that has a glow ducted fan with a "jet airplane" that has a turbine.
The glow engine does not know or care what is connected to the crankshaft, be it a fan, a prop or a gear. the glow engine just want to keep its piston going up and down, and the crank round and round.

The glow fuel industry is quite mature. most all of the modern fuels are good. If you feel you want a little more lube than the fuel you have, I add 1oz of castor oil to every gallon of glow fuel. I have yet to find a glow fuel that the castor will not mix and stay mixed in. Castor has some real benefits over an all synthetic oil fuel.

As far as adding turbine oil to your glow fuel, turbine oil is made for a different application than what the glow fuel environment is. It may make things worse. Turbine oil is a petroleum product, many of the components in the glow fuel system are not compatible with petroleum products. The turbine oil most likely will damage the silicone fuel lines and the O-rings in the carb. Once the O-rings start to leak and your mixture goes lean, then you burn up the whole engine.

I do appreciate all the feedback. Below are links to a couple of the threads I was reading and maybe these will help explain.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...tm.htm#2150346

Here is another one. Look at posts 14, 15,19, 21, and 23
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...r/tm.htm#77755.

It looks to me like they are talking in these threads about glow enginesusing turbine oil, not turbine engines using turbine oil.Larry Wolfe of JHImentions in the one thread he uses it in all of his fuels including4 strokes andhe sells and flies turbines as well as glow D/F engines.

What is in these two threadsis basically what I want to do. ButI wanted to tryusingDTE as a substitute forthe turbine oil mentioned in the threads sincethe turbine jets are using DTEas a substitute for thesame mentioned turbine oil.I now knowfrom my experiment DTE does not mix with glow. Kerosene for turbines yes, glow for D/F no.

These threadsalso talk about adding Klotz orcastor to the fuel and I get all that, too. I think I will go with adding Klotz until I can get the D/F fuel I need when I go to Toledo next year. Unfortunatelymy hobby shop availability is not that good here and the ones I can getto,do not carry D/F fuel because of the lack of demand.

Thanks again as I do appreciate everyones help and feedback...

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM
ViperOneNL

Hi,

I am using Mobile DTE Lite for 4 years now in 2 JetCats and a Wren 44 helicopter without any issues. P70 has been back to JetCat for other issues and was reported spotless clean inside ... i use 5% oil on all and really love it.

One observation is that the first run of the day is always hotter than the subsequencial runs, so it seems the oil is a bit more sticky ...

Cheers,

Mick
Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know if it matters but those threads are very old 7-9 years old.
There has been changes in glow fuel oil technology since those threads.

You can try to get a sample of the DTE and just put a few drops into a small cup of fuel to test for mixing, rather than contaminate a full gallon for testing.
The local Mobil dealers are pretty good about small free samples.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
thebluemax

ORIGINAL: flyinfool1

I dont know if it matters but those threads are very old 7-9 years old.
There has been changes in glow fuel oil technology since those threads.

You can try to get a sample of the DTE and just put a few drops into a small cup of fuel to test for mixing, rather than contaminate a full gallon for testing.
The local Mobil dealers are pretty good about small free samples.

Hi Jeff,
Your right those threads are old and there are newer onesout there.I just grabbed those two as quick examples of what Iread. I tried mixing some DTE with some glow fuel and it is definitely not compatible. So I am looking at other alternatives likeKlotz Benol or Klotz Technoplate until I can get somefuel with the right oil content..

Thanks again for your input.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM
david101

FYI
Just got a 5 gallon pail of DTE lite from my local fuel oil, propane etc supplier special ordered for me. Cost in Michigan was $95 with tax included. No shipping cost if you can get it this way. Will try in my P60 this winter in Az. If you need it try your local fuel oil, etc supplier.

Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM
bigbreeze

Great thread guys, very informative.

Just wondering what characteristics we are looking for when searching for oils to replace the BP Turbine oils? What are some of the critical characteristics the oil should have?

Are lower Flash Points good?

Is lower Viscosity numbers preferred?

Mobil DTE Light is a little harder to find up here in Canada, but we have plenty of similar oils with similar specs....

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM
david101

Read my post #79 this thread re:Super turboflow from Petro Canada. According to my oil man it is equivalent to DTE and is about 25% cheaper. I will be using DTE lite and one of my friends will be using the Super Turbo Flow here in Az. this winter.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:13 PM
John H.

Try using chevron HiPerSYN iso 32 it has a 28 deg C higher flashpoint then Mobil dte light. Very close to Aeroshell 500.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Is anyone using DTE in an AMT turbine? I have enough fuel to get me though a few more flights, and then there will be snow on the ground in PA. BUT... I would like to change over for spring if it's ok in these engines.