Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to Turbines - Need direction

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New to Turbines - Need direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Turbines - Need direction

I say I'm new to turbines but that only means models. I've been an Engineer at Pratt & Whitney for 40 years and have worked on Commercial (PW2000, JT9D, GP7000) and Military (TF30, F117, F100, F119) engines. Currently on the F22 Exhaust Nozzle. I have been involved with sport flying almost anything, for 40+ year with occasional time off for regeneration of my enthusiasm. Been flying faster and faster prop stuff to get used to the speed and now I want to step into turbine power. Nothing extreme, something like an entry level Sport Jet with some looks (Discovery Jet, Reaction 54, Turbinator) with a 13 to 15# engine. I'm here asking you all for advise and direction. I'll be flying out of our club (Norther Connecticut Radio Control Club) field with a 400+ foot grass runway with minor obstructions (called trees) at a distance from either end of the runway. I am convinced that something that I can slow down with flaps will get in and out of there without to much concern. Once I have your advise I'll be building over the next several months and looking to show up at a local Jet Rally for help and my waiver. You will probably also see me poking around at Gardner Mass. and Albany this summer. Look for the short older guy on a Harley Sportster with the white full face helmet or a red NCRCC hat. I'd like to get to Brooklyn but I really hate driving through NYC. Maine is also a possibility.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to Turbines - Need direction

The R-54 will do exactly what you need.. a PST 600R is a perfect match for it. However, one thing you need to check with your fellow club members, is that the turbine as installed has a significant down angle and the exhaust can shock and brown the grass if it is left running in one spot for more than a few seconds. The grass almost always grows back in a couple of weeks, but before that, it looks dead..very dead. Some turbine flyers have had problems with their clubs because of this. Best thing to do is to talk to the club before you buy and explain that this might happen, but that you will try your best to minimize the effects ( see the thread on blast deflectors)

Another great plane is the boomerang. the engine is mounted higher, and does not seem to affect the grass to the same degree..

Both are capable flyers and would be able to operate within your field with no problems....

Old 05-13-2007, 02:27 PM
KC36330

Tam's F-16 will practically back up with a slight nose wind.

kc
Old 05-13-2007, 04:04 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

We have some trees at one end of our runway. They aren't REAL close but the R54 can drop in just about anywhere as you can see in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB4GnzenbQc
Old 05-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Build it yourself or ARF? I have friends with both the Boomerang Intro & the Reaction 54. The Boomerang is a gentle flyer, very compact to transport and flys fine from grass. It has the usual ARF problems - film covered, crap hardware. It could use bigger wheels from grass too.

The R-54 is also a gentle flyer, probably the slowest landing jet I've seen. The designer, Bruce Tharpe, is a super friendly guy who is very enthusiastic about his products & can always be counted on for help.

I have never seen a Discovery jet fly but it looks a good choice too.

I'm a scratch builder so I built my own jet trainer which flys fine but in hindsight it would have been much easier (but less satisfying) to build one of these three. - John.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob and I returned from the Red Apple Flyers event in Wenatchee, Washington. First time for the turbines to fly off their 450 ft grass field which had tall trees 500 ft to the East end of their field. Bob took his Reaction 54 with a PST J600R and I took my Boomerang XL with a PST 1300R. We had no problems with either airframe, just line up in the notch of the tree line and drop in after clearing the trees. It was a great weekend to introduce the turbines to the club and the local city.
You shouldn't have any problems.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29560.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	683698  
Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you very much for your input. I am leaning towards the R54 with a P60. I am and have always been a builder. There are lots of good looking ARFs out there but I just can't make myself go that route. A lot has to do with what John talks about. I guess jets are no better than prop ARFs in that respect. All the videos you've provided make the hair on my neck stand up. I can't imagine what it will be like to fly my own. I may have to wear a pair of Depends. I'm going to take Wayne 22's suggestion and mention my plans to the club. I don't think it will be an issue, especially if I use a blast tube behind the engine. It's especially important if I get a hot start also. Don't need to cook the tail feathers. It will be the first turbine at our field