Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM
TimWatson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

When you say super falcon made me think it must be bigger, than normal 120
All the 120's are the same size and in effect design. Some are just made better than the others
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Dc2LightTech

if I mount the engine center in the center of the "boulbious bart" of the fuse, spinning a 15x8 3 bladed prop, I think I only have 4 or 5 inches hanging under the plane. if thats true (i need to measure the length...) what retracts would you recomend..
Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Would think prop clearance would be a problem with a petrol engine, really a bit big for this plane, when you said super falcon I thought it was bigger when you mentioned fitting a petrol engine.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
vincedecaledo

hi guys;
i'm Vincent from new caledonia,
i'm the happy owner of a falcon with a k80 turbine for 2 years now
i'm actually completely rebuilding it , with complete covering and fiberglassing wings
i'm also planing on fiting a single servo for the elevator , but i have to admit that 177 pages on this thread is not very easy to collect infos !
i've of course download the pdf of a great conversion........but no info on that.....bad luck !!

So guys please.......heellllllllpppp !
what kind of servo should i install as a single elevator servo ?

every advise is of course welcome

thanks a lot

and sorry for my bad english, i'm just a little frenchie lost in south pacific

Vince

Old 09-21-2012, 01:51 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just split the elevator and run two mini servos
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I run and have done so for many flights with 1 Hs-5645MG in the centre of the elevator with no problems.

Thanks

dave
Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Xairflyer

Single servo works well, I have done it to two tailplanes now, very easy to do to the standard falcon, little bit more difficult to the fully sheeted tail versions.

Details of one of them [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10964241]here post 4244[/link] using a Spektrum DS821 servo
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Xairflyer

If you are looking for something in this thread but dont want to go through all the pages just use search at the bottom of the page.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 AM
vincedecaledo

thanks a lot for your input guys !!! !
what kind of torque will you put in minima?
8kg ? 10 kg ? more?
i should have a look if i haven't a 5645 mg somewhere on my workshop...
Xair, you think 6KG is enough for this plane with a K80 ?
i have a futaba 9202 just in front of me...do you think it can do the trick...should be a bit short isn't it ?

thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Xairflyer

The spektrum DS821 is 5kg toque
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a Hitec HS5625 on the elevator of my Sprint and did use two on my Elan, all have been without problems, on the Sprint I use a metal ball link and twin carbon horns to try and offset any heat that may get to them.

Mike
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM
aquaskiman

If you use two elevator servos and you have one fail you have a chance of getting the plane back. If you have one and it fails you get a crash. All of my high end jets have two elevator servos. Look at the field and see how many use only one elevator servo.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
ticketec

Yes, but if the the servo motor burns out then the remaining servo may not be able to overpower it. Not being properly rigged could cause them to fight each other and end up causing a failure, etc etc.... there are aguments both ways. it ends up with the user deciding what works best for them.

In 20 years of R/C flying I have never had an elevator servo fail... will it happen? maybe some day, but there is a greater likelyhood of something else like a R/X pack failing first which is why I do run two of those. I also try and stick with servos which I know are reliable.

Thnaks

dave
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
aquaskiman

I said to slpit the elevators ( cut in half ) so each half works independent of the other.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM
aquaskiman

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

I would just split the elevator and run two mini servos
here is the post
Old 09-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Xairflyer

I am not sure that two elevator servos would be an advantage if you lost one, most of the time the servo will go full to the end of its travel if say it was a conventional tail you now have tailerons and it will cause the model to roll, just as many jets like F15 & F16's are flown that way without ailerons.
If you lost a servo and it stayed neutral, I still think when you pulled up on the other it would again cause a roll.

Split elevators inside twin booms like on the falcon & boomerangs would probably work different and not notice as much if one failed unless again it went to full travel.

If you fitting twin servos for the elevators as normal on the falcon then it would make sense to cut the elevator in half to give you the best advantage of using two servos, if you dont then you are better of using just one.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM
chw757s6640
My Feedback: (59)

Hi Guys,

I am pursing a new project, so I have decided to sell my Falcon 120. I have a new Falcon 120 (White/Orange). The only work performed is:

1. Modified fuselage formers to mirror the Tornado design. Added Hysol on the seams.
2. Installed a Modellbau Tornado V3 Engine Mount.

The kit is complete and ready for final turbine conversion.

I will also include a set of Tornado V3 wings and composite tail booms that I received from a friend. They have some damage, but can easily be repaired. The landing gear mounts broke and one boom has a crack along the join seam. I repaired one wing by putting in new hardwood stock for the gear mounts, which are extended to the fourth rib, re-inforced all joints with hysol and re-covered with balsa. I will include the wood stock and balsa to repair the other wing. An extra used Tornado V3 canopy and tub will also be included.

I am just looking to recover some of the money invested in the Falcon. If you are interested, give me a call or send me an email. I have pictures and a solid market place rating. I will gladly give someone a good deal on this to clear up some space in my shop.

If you need a turbine for it, I have a P-70 listed on RCU.

Thanks,

Chris Wilson
St. Louis, MO
Phone: 314-452-8379
Email: [email protected]
Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM
tim777jet

Hi Guys, not being pedantic, ref the use of 2 sets of RX batteries in the plane, many guys do this, however i never hear of guys running 2 sets of TX batteries. Batteries are batteries, weather they are fitted in the plane or a transmitter. Many many years ago, i built a LOWBoy, maidened it, it flew great. Refuelled, everything was good, TX battery Meter reading way up the scale, flew for about 10 mins, then lost control of the plane, it flew off quite a way and crashed into a nearby forest. I found it and managed to repair her. I sent the radio back to the manufactures and they stated a cell in the TX pack had failed, strangely, after an overnight charge, it would perform well, but would suddenly fail dragging the other cells with it, it was not old radio equipment.
I also got involved with electric powered gliders way before they were seen at flying sites. I bought a new nicad battery pack, an 1800ma, my most powerfull pack at the time, fresh from the manufacturer. The first few flights were good, but battery drastically reduced in power in a short space of time. I stripped the pack down and found 1 Cell, fitted the wrong way round, unbelievable. I replaced the cell with a similar capacity cell, and the pack was good again, you just cant cover every eventuality.
cheers tim
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM
jetdeck

to gary travis, or any other jet jockey. jetdeck here, live in springhill florida, i have a nitroplanes super falcon 120 in the USAF trim scheme, and no this is not a knockoff from hobbyking or anywhere else in the world, it is NEW in box. did take it out to inspect for any damage and there is none. the wings, booms, elevator, rudders are all fully sheeted. i;ve done nothing to it, just describing what i see. i am selling mine for what i paid for it from nitroplanes which is $180.00 can work out shipping details if anyone is interested, you can contact me by e-mail at [email protected]. i have taken pics of it so if you e-mail me i can e-mail to you, have lost interest in it, are now biulding a vmar f4 phantom with a o.s.95 and robart retracts.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure that two elevator servos would be an advantage if you lost one, most of the time the servo will go full to the end of its travel if say it was a conventional tail you now have tailerons and it will cause the model to roll, just as many jets like F15 & F16's are flown that way without ailerons.
If you lost a servo and it stayed neutral, I still think when you pulled up on the other it would again cause a roll.
I recently had my first in-flight servo failure on a medium size electric.

One aileron servo went to about 1/2 travel & stayed there solid whenever power was on, power off & you could move the servo
against the gears & motor.

I landed the model ok with a heap of opposite aileron.

Two ways of looking at redundancy.

With one aileron servo I would have crashed?

Or, with one aileron servo my chances of aileron servo failure are halved?

Me, personally, the extra elevator servo is just like that heavy fire extinguisher I carry to the field & never use. - John.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Wcox
Banned

Has anyone been lucky in finding a good tank for the Falcon that is not too expensive?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Wcox

Has anyone been lucky in finding a good tank for the Falcon that is not too expensive?
Not to sound like a jack-off... but that is addressed in the first few pages.

But... to make it easy... I use a 64oz juice bottle. it's free once you finish the juice.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wcox

In the UK use a Lenor fabric conditioner bottle with a bit of heating and the back spar in place it fits perfectly, as Tony said above have a look at the start of the thread I am sure I posted a pic.

Mike
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I moulded my own from fibreglass & epoxy over a blue foam plug.
Hold 2.3 litres.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11886.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1808416  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
ticketec

Berri brand fruit juice bottle, holds 2.2lts $3.47 comes with free juice!

Thanks

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.