RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Old 12-29-2016, 06:52 AM
sweetpea01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Ed. I'm still thinking I'll try the direct link but not sure exactly how'll I'll make it work
Old 12-30-2016, 03:51 PM
sweetpea01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got a few things done this week.

1a. Got the nose wheel steering is figured out. It's going to look like the video below. Since the glue was crap holding in the braces I tore the whole front thing out and will attach the servo to the front of it. I used a temp servo for the time being to set it up. I'll post a video once I clean things up a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE505LhvYrI

1.a I'm also going to Carbon Fiber glass the wheel mounts and create storage areas for my airtanks so they are upfront. Probably some Battery and weight holders (so I can change the CG easier)

2. I found 4 JR8611A's I had left over from other builds. So now I only need 3 servos (1 being nose steering)

3. I ordered my engine mount and ordered a centerline A4 tank that will be used for smoke (after a few flights)

4. I tore out the blind nuts in the booms and the wings and put 1/4x20 in. Then I cut and Hysol'd bolts into the wings. I use nylon wing nuts on them as attachment points in the fuse. Been doing that on 42% gassers for years and they never come loose and are easy to put on and change out on yearly maint.

5. I put a wood dowl in the boom hole on the wing. I want my bolts more flush and it will be easier to glass this way.

Last edited by sweetpea01; 12-30-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 PM
sweetpea01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Weather here has been horrendous! It's been 60, flooding rain, then zero, then snow, then zero, now wind and rain and going to upper 50's.

I finished creating my direct link to the nose gear but I don't like it. It will create a tiller bar that is longer than I want (otherwise the linkage hits the wood gear mount) which will require a really large cutout for the nose gear and I was going to do a gear door similar to the BVM Bobcat for ease of use. So I'm probably going with the wire pull-pull setup.

I installed my Turnigy lights in the wing just to see how it will look. They are really a night/dusk light system so I might pull that out and do something brighter before I glass things up. I'm still waiting on my small wingtube and some hardware to show up. I got my 5degree engine mount though. I sanded the wing dowl down and that is now flush.

Just hasn't been a good couple of weeks for me in the shop. This weekend though I will be at it.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Dpienaar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kt p80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
For the new guys, just coming into the Falcon group... Todd at DreamWorks sells my motor mounts now.

Here are the 0 degree mounts. (what I use)

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/falc...ee-p-2405.html

Here are the 5 Degree mounts that most of the guys here use.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/falc...ee-p-2406.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB281135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	2225476
Hallo what diferance does the 5dg down do vs the 0dg DW only have the 5dg mounts in atock
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Dpienaar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kt p80

Quote:
For the new guys, just coming into the Falcon group... Todd at DreamWorks sells my motor mounts now.

Here are the 0 degree mounts. (what I use)

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/falc...ee-p-2405.html

Here are the 5 Degree mounts that most of the guys here use.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/falc...ee-p-2406.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB281135.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	2225477
Hallo what diferance does the 5dg down do vs the 0dg DW only have the 5dg mounts in atock
Old 07-24-2017, 02:16 PM
edwarda10pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpienaar View Post
If you do not put the 5* of down thrust, you will have to re-trim the plane every time you make a change in throttle setting. A number of us have spent a lot of time making changes to the thrust of the engine to find the setting that requires NO TRIM changes with different throttle settings. That thrust setting is 5* of down thrust.

Ed
Old 07-25-2017, 04:06 AM
Dr Honda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarda10pilot View Post
If you do not put the 5* of down thrust, you will have to re-trim the plane every time you make a change in throttle setting. A number of us have spent a lot of time making changes to the thrust of the engine to find the setting that requires NO TRIM changes with different throttle settings. That thrust setting is 5* of down thrust.

Ed
Not true. I fly mine with zero mounts, and there isn't any real change in trim. But mine is heavy... so that may make a difference.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:32 AM
why_fly_high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Not true. I fly mine with zero mounts, and there isn't any real change in trim. But mine is heavy... so that may make a difference.
If you always fly at one power setting you can trim for that power setting. With mine and a 100 I cruise at 1/4, sometimes buzz around at half, and sometimes I do full throttle high speed passes. I can tell you from my experience that 5 degrees is just about right to avoid trim changes with power changes.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Dieselman1220

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't have a 5 degree mount I have found that a wheel collar under the the front mounting straps works about perfect.

Search this Thread