Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

I have FASST, but I REALLY wish Futaba would come out with some sort of data logger too. That is one way that Spektrum is superior: you can actually verify the integrity of the RF link. I see lots of Futaba guys saying things like "FASST is better cause you don't need extra recievers" and "it works great with one simple reciever set-up". Yeah, well how do you know? Maybe we are always right near the edge of failure!

I wish there was a way to know for sure.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the FASST 14 channel Rx there is a data socket, this does not do anything at the moment, but give it time I am sure they are working on it.

MIke
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: jramirez

Mike,

You make a good point about needing more channels. I am finishing up my second Falcon, this time with brakes and would like more channels. How is everyone with a
7 channel hooking up everything? I like my steering mixed with rudder so I can trim independently while on the move.

Jeff
Jeff

You could always go to a Weatronics dual Rx on 2.4Ghz that would solve all the problems of needing more channels, it would just cost possibly two arms and two legs, have to admit I am looking seriously at them though now they have small ones as well.

Mike
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

On the FASST 14 channel Rx there is a data socket, this does not do anything at the moment, but give it time I am sure they are working on it.

MIke
I believe it is possible that they are going to do something with the data plug, but I am not as sure as you are. I hope they do!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 PM
BaldEagel

I don't think any manufacturer would put something on a unit that they where never going to use, be paitent it will come.

Be thankfull that Futaba did not rush in to producing a unit that had to be recalled to hardware upgrades as Graupner did.

Mike
Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I don't think any manufacturer would put something on a unit that they where never going to use, be paitent it will come.

Be thankfull that Futaba did not rush in to producing a unit that had to be recalled to hardware upgrades as Graupner did.

Mike
That is for sure!!! What a cluster-you-know-what THAT is!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:37 PM
new2jets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought this was a falcon 120 forum not 2.4 can we move on now? [:@]
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Mavrik!

Ditto!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Mavrik!

Boohoo heat wave in Sydney this weekend and club ban turbine as total fire ban.

Maiden will have to wait now till next weekend[&o]

Will psot vid.

Mav
Old 01-24-2009, 04:54 PM
new2jets

had a good days flying here in uk but only ic , the field is too wet for turbine! springs must be air born by now mav[8D]
Old 01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Mavrik!

Nigel,

My exiting springs are too stiff as you know, but I was happy to fly it as busting to get it airborne. So should have your new softer springs here for next weeks delayed maiden. Thanks again for help here, much appreciated!!!

Mav
Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
tim777jet

Yeh, falcon site, but the guy was just asking for advise before spending his cash, and interesting posts came about. I have Sprektrum DX7 set and wouldnt part with it, its been 100 % and the TX battery life is nothing short of brilliant. If you buy a Spektrum set, check what servos come with it. THey come with 4 digital servos in the package, sometimes with DS811 and sometimes DS821 ( dont quote me on the numbers I cant remember now), but one type can run 6 volts and the other can not. I run with a regulator set at 5.7 volts, and all has been fine. I did a post ages ago about this. Also never put thread lock on any servo arm locking screw ( i could never quite work out why people do this) that goes into a plastic set of gears. It attacks and weakens the gears and the servo fails.

Ref the requirement for more channels, I posted up a while back now, how i needed another channel and mixed the rudder mix switch to the undercarriage channel, to give me another channel, with a servo leaded to the undercarriage servo, to operate the smoke system. Yes some more channels would be great, but this works for me.

When you think about it, the Falcon offers us more operating features than some other planes. For example, some F15 style aircraft use just 3 servos. Two for the elevons and one nose wheel steering. We have flaps, rudders and in addition, I have my nose leg extension system. So in effect we have a lot more complexity and carry a lot more extra components than some high end models.
I had toyed with the idea of fitting an airbrake on the top rear part of the fuse, but never got round to it. The flaps are very effective in slowing the model down and not sure what would happen to the airflow over the tailplane which would be effected im sure. The extra weight for this mod would be minimal, I have a spare air ram lying around and could link it up so with full flap selected, the airbrake would extend. Anyone tried a speed brake on top of the fuse, like an Su27

Cheers Tim
Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 PM
new2jets

ORIGINAL: Mavrik!

Nigel,

My exiting springs are too stiff as you know, but I was happy to fly it as busting to get it airborne. So should have your new softer springs here for next weeks delayed maiden. Thanks again for help here, much appreciated!!!

Mav
these should be just the job if you watch my vidio link below you can see the front spring working on landing [8D]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GizfxuImc2k
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24064.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1118407  
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone tried a speed brake on top of the fuse, like an Su27
No, but tried an airbrake on the bottom of the smaller Bobcat 50 (no flaps).

Makes the speed on approach much easier to control, introduces a small amount of pitch up.
Full deflection is almost 90 degrees & I've since drilled holes in it. - John.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38883.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1118714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69810.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1118715  
Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: tim777jet

Also never put thread lock on any servo arm locking screw ( i could never quite work out why people do this) that goes into a plastic set of gears. It attacks and weakens the gears and the servo fails.

Cheers Tim

Never put thread lock on metal geared servo's either,normal star washer is sufficient, you try drilling out a servo screw from a Hitec 5955, not imposible but very difficult and time consuming.

"[sm=tongue_smile.gif]" I thought this was a Falcon thread not a weather forcast thread.

Don't take offence just take note.

Mike
Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM
rkguitarz

Can anyone tell me where i can find a engine for this plane? and any other parts i might need for it. im really new to this and im trying to learn more about it. anything that you can tell me about this plane will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

-keith
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Ed

How many degrees of flap deflection for best Falcon 120 performance when landing ? ? ?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith start at the front of this thread and read it all, lots of good info. The falcon seems to fly best with a 12 to 14lb class turbine. George
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Vettdriver

Weather was perfect here today.
Here's a video I filmed today of my Falcon from the "BellyCam"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCZM3aN7Bk
Old 01-26-2009, 07:13 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Vettdriver

Weather was perfect here today.
Here's a video I filmed today of my Falcon from the "BellyCam"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCZM3aN7Bk
I don't blame you for the go around on the first landing attempt, that run off area looks a bit daunting. LOL nice vidio, what camera are you using? looks a nice area to fly in.

Mike
Old 01-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Vettdriver

BaldEagle,

That first go around was actually a gear check. I nailed the landing though.
The flight after that was filmed also and I did have to go around. . . TWICE. Once for fun and once because I was going to be long.
Our runway is 400 ft long and is in a park maintained by the city. We don't even have to mow anything.
The runoff area only gives you about 50 meters or so and there is a fence followed by the lake.

The camera is made by Oregon Scientific and I picked up a handful of these at a wholesale club on clearance.
At this point I think I've sold or tradeed one to most the people in the club.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
TURBINATOR

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Jeff,

Not sure if I understand your issue. Perhaps a picture would help. If you're referring to the scissor hinge on the strut; it doesn't make any difference if it faces forward or aft. You will have much better ground control if your nose wheel is angled back somewhat.

Joe

Joe,

You were right about the back angle to the nose gear issue. I finished up my Falcon and did some range test and ground runs but found the steering way too sensitive with the angle placed forward. I did this so the gear hinge would not hit the retract well and crack it. I saw how you raised yours to fit the retract better, but I had already installed mine and did not want to break the well apart trying to get it out. I almost cartwheeled the plane just running it up to speed due to the wandering effect the angle forward created. I am going to turn it around and try again. I also had a fuel leak with a pinhole in the line which fill my fuselage with full while taxiing around. I used alot of the old stuff from my first Falcon and had a small piece of fuel tubing that got kinked in the first crash that I had not noticed. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jramirez

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Jeff,

Not sure if I understand your issue. Perhaps a picture would help. If you're referring to the scissor hinge on the strut; it doesn't make any difference if it faces forward or aft. You will have much better ground control if your nose wheel is angled back somewhat.

Joe

Joe,

You were right about the back angle to the nose gear issue. I finished up my Falcon and did some range test and ground runs but found the steering way too sensitive with the angle placed forward. I did this so the gear hinge would not hit the retract well and crack it. I saw how you raised yours to fit the retract better, but I had already installed mine and did not want to break the well apart trying to get it out. I almost cartwheeled the plane just running it up to speed due to the wandering effect the angle forward created. I am going to turn it around and try again. I also had a fuel leak with a pinhole in the line which fill my fuselage with full while taxiing around. I used alot of the old stuff from my first Falcon and had a small piece of fuel tubing that got kinked in the first crash that I had not noticed. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Jeff
Jeff,

If you are mixing rudder to an AUX channel for your steering add expo at least 50% to reduce sensitivity.

bob
Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Ed

POLL > Please insert your input here.

What is the best flap setting, in degrees, for landing ? Thank you. > Ed

Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Vettdriver

Mine slows down pretty well at 45deg. which is the most throw I can get.
But I'm going to cut them off and rework them to get more just because I can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.