Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
Hi Col,

I opened up the wheel wells and then put some G10 board (1mm) around the opening and then covered it with film.
See you have been keeping up with your reading, see Page 93 post 2318. LOL

MIke
Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol! Actually I didn't read this thread before I built mine, would have helped as I scradtched my head for a few days as to what would be the best method for the cutout area
Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In that case great minds and all that...........

On the latest generation I have modified the rigging to be from above for both the booms and the wings.

Mike
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM
ravikoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Seahawk,
I see that you have the Kingtech K80, i have the same engine & am wondering as to what have you used for Fuel tank, and what size.
Thanks in advance for all input.
Cheers
Ravi

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
Hello Jeremy,

I have been hammering the poor old Falcon Ver 1 pretty hard since Jan this year. The new K80 now has 7 hrs 51 minutes on it. All in the Falcon. I usually run 7 minute flights and land with fuel for another 4 minutes or so. I am about to start my second Ver 1 Falcon and am looking at KMRC struts. Do you have any pics you can show me please? The struts on the current Falcon are trailing link nose gear struts from HobbyKing.

Much to the horror of the purists I run mostly HobbyKing gear in my current Falcon. The servos were hooked up to a servo tester and cycled at 1 cycle per second for 4 hrs before fitting to the model. The electric retracts were cycled for 30 mins. So far all good. Servos are Corona digital metal gear servos and all have passed the cycle test. The only problem I have had with the Falcon is when it lost a fight with a fence post while taxii'ing.

A pair of Version 2 wings from Ken were fitted and the Falcon continues to fly.

uTube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrBdMA2Iq5Y

Cheers

Col
Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 AM
SeaHawk

Originally Posted by ravikoth
Hello Seahawk,
I see that you have the Kingtech K80, i have the same engine & am wondering as to what have you used for Fuel tank, and what size.
Thanks in advance for all input.
Cheers
Ravi
Hello Ravi,

I use a 2 litre cooking oil bottle I pinched from the wife and emptied into a sausepan.
I also use a 300CC Sullivan tank as an air trap so I suppose I have a useable capacity of 2150CC.
I set my alarm for 7.5 minutes from startup and usually land as the alarm is sounding.
After the flight I have about a fuel level of about 12mm (1/2") remaining in the main tank

I have emptied the tank once after another model crashed on the strip as I was waiting to land. After landing the engine quit as I was taxiing back. The timer read 11mins.
I hope this info is useful.

Cheers

Col
Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 AM
ravikoth

Hello Col,

Thanks, so much for that bit of info. I am planning to use a 2litre Juice Bottle based on your setup.
Should give me enough time in the air.
Cheers
Ravi
Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 AM
SeaHawk

Any pictures of your model available Ravi?

Col
Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 AM
ravikoth

sure are, but yet in build, will post them here, went overboard on a lot of things,
sheeted the wings, extended the wing tubes to accommodate ribs deeper into the wings.
porker but at least will not come apart in flight.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 AM
SeaHawk

I am about to start my second Falcon 1.20 Ver 1 build. I stripped the film from one wing in preparation for sheeting and found the following.

The second rib in from the tip was a stick of balsa glued in with packing to support the cap strip. One cap strip was missing as well.

This one takes the cake,,, The drawstring provided to pull the aileron lead through to the wing root took a turn around a rib under the covering. Would have been rather frustrating.
This must be a Monday or a Friday built wing.

I shudder to think what I will discover when I pull the film off the other wing and the tail surfaces.

Col
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys I'm building mine with an old AMT180. I have read a lost but it's been a bit much. It turns out my falcon has the wings with only one bolt holding it to the fuse. Dose that mean my wings are weaker than the newest ones ?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM
SeaHawk

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Hey guys I'm building mine with an old AMT180. I have read a lost but it's been a bit much. It turns out my falcon has the wings with only one bolt holding it to the fuse. Dose that mean my wings are weaker than the newest ones ?
Not necessarily and also yes.
The yes is to suggest that it might be weaker than the wings with two bolts but how do we find out? My Version 1 wings were not fully sheeted but it took an argument with a fencepost to wreck that one. My version 2 wings (bought to replace the first ones) are fully sheeted but have only one bolt per side and they seem plenty strong. I am currently building my second Falcon and it is also a version 1, same as the first one. I am going to fully sheet the wing but am staying with the one wing bolt.

Having said all of the preceding I will admit that I generally fly at 1/2 throttle or below and only use full throttle on takeoff and vertical manouvres.

I would suggest that they will be plenty strong as long as you are not flying flat out and pulling pylon turns.

Col
Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 PM
kmrcjets

hi it's a good idea to put the wing bolts in the front of the wing it will stop the wing moving
I have had V1 falcons through to V3 carbons. putting the extra bolts is dead easy. line the
wing up and drill the holes from inside the fuselage. a blind nut inside of the front of the
wing and your done
ken
kmrc jets oz
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM
SeaHawk

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
See you have been keeping up with your reading, see Page 93 post 2318. LOL

MIke
Hello Mike,

I have to admit I hadn't seen your post either before deciding what needed to be done.
I was influenced by trial and error. First flight was on unmodified wings, Robart retracts and home built straight "oleos".
First landing was smooth yet during the rollout one of the retracts just fell out. Glued back in and added glue to the other side. They came out again when the RAM 750 shed a blade after takeoff and I had to land in the rough. One leg wasn't fast enough to tuck away and out it came. Next I took both wings to a friend's workshop and did them properly. I bought at great expense (about 12 each) three trailing arm nosegear struts from Hobbyking. I then removed the old U/C bearers and threw them away. New bearers were fabricated from Tasmanian Oak and fitted into the wings with a forward angle to allow the wheel to still retract into the original well. the lot was reinforced with 1/4 square Tassie Oak and covered over with 2.7mm ply. The ply stands a bit proud of the surrounding balsa skin but can be sanded back.

When the version 2 wings arrived from Ken at KMRC Jets I went straight around to Patrick's workshop and we performed the mods before even fitting out the wings. These have survived many flights and some less than perfect landings.

With the new Falcon now being assembled (in Royal Navy'ish colours) We are performing the mods on these wings. I will attach some pics.

The moral to this story is to read this forum and take the advice of the posters BEFORE going out and learning the hard way.

Col
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GearMods3.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1935556   Click image for larger version

Name:	GearMods1.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1935557   Click image for larger version

Name:	GearMods2.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1935558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Covering 1.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1935559  

Last edited by SeaHawk; 11-05-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 AM
mikes68charger

So I have read a lot about strengthening up the retract mounts but what are some things you guys do once inside the wing for the rest of the wing?

I read the alummun wing tube is a few inch short so my plan is to find a wood dowl to fit inside that is 4in short on each side. Then get a wood dowl that is the same size as the tube. Then I only have to shave down 4in of of the dowl so I can extend it a little

Is sheeting the wing and adding some wood to the spar about all needed.

I guess seeing more broken wings would let you know it's weak points
Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM
SeaHawk

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
So I have read a lot about strengthening up the retract mounts but what are some things you guys do once inside the wing for the rest of the wing?
After opening up this second lot of wings I would suggest using Robart hinges and adding extra material to the false trailing edge for them to glue into. If you are changing the colour then remove the film from the ailerons and strengthen behind the aileron leading edge where the Robart hinges are located. I am not fully sheeting the ailerons.
Follow Ken's advice for drilling and attaching the wings with two sets of wing bolts.

I read the alummun wing tube is a few inch short so my plan is to find a wood dowl to fit inside that is 4in short on each side. Then get a wood dowl that is the same size as the tube. Then I only have to shave down 4in of of the dowl so I can extend it a little
I didn't use the supplied Aluminium (Aluminum in the US) wing spars. My Falcons are both ver 1 that come with 1mm wall thickness tube. (and yes, too short) Friend Brian took me over to a local supplier and we got a length of 2.5mm wall ali tube of the correct diameter. This was then cut to the correct length for each of our Falcons. I used the smaller front spar as supplied.

Is sheeting the wing and adding some wood to the spar about all needed.

I guess seeing more broken wings would let you know it's weak points
If you are going to be stressing the model there are probably other areas than could be reinforced but the way I fly this has been adequate (touch wood).
I will be adding epoxy to the boom in the area of the attachment points but that is about all the extra work I will be doing. If you would like pics of certain areas just let me know and I'll take some before closing up the wings.

Col
Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 PM
mikes68charger

Wow. I took the time and measured my stock tube and there is only 7 1/4 in of tube that sticks out per side. And it is 7 1/2-7 3/4 to reach the 3rd stringer. And there is play in lengh. As if you push the tube all the way in on one wing it will be a little over a 1in short on one side. Bad bad bad
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM
SeaHawk

Buy a length of heavy wall aluminum tube and cut a new one to the right length Mike. Easiest and best way to do it.

Col
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Buy a length of heavy wall aluminum tube and cut a new one to the right length Mike. Easiest and best way to do it.

Col

It's metric, and in the USA it's hard to find.

Mike... I've been flying mine for 3 years with a short tube. I just center it, and then put the wings on. BUT... I have thought about epoxy'ing in wood plugs on either end just to help support, and keep it centered.

With that said... I don't have retracts in my Falcon. Since it was my "Trainer" jet... I figure I needed to be able to have some hard landings, so I installed fixed gear on the fuse.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 AM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Dr Honda;11652660]It's metric, and in the USA it's hard to find.

Not really that hard to find ... IF you know where to look.
RCFoam in Colorado Springs, CO (yup, the heart of the USA) has a huge selection of metric carbon fiber tubes. Found at: www.rcfoam.com
So, the strongest solution is to purchase the correct diameter tubes, then put a hardwood dowel (from Lowes or Home Depot) in it at the CORRECT length. VERY strong (don't ask!) and inexpensive.
Greg
Old 11-02-2013, 11:17 AM
mikes68charger

Well I just picks up a nice hardwood round dowl. I'm going to make the wood go past the stock alum bar 1in on each side. Now I just got to figure out how rap the dowl to the alum diam

I was thinking of eather just fiberglassing it
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM
SeaHawk

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
It's metric, and in the USA it's hard to find.
You could always find a nice friendly SeaHawk in a country where it is easily found and ask for a piece to be mailed over.

Col

Last edited by SeaHawk; 11-04-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM
SeaHawk

Default U/C mount Mod

Hello all,

For what it is worth I have taken pics during the modding of the other wing of my current Falcon build. The wings have been stripped of their film and will be fully sheeted before recovering.
As well as the strengthening of the UC mounts I have raked them forward far enough to allow the use of the 12kg trailing arm nose strut from HobbyKing. These work very well once the springs are upgraded (from the shop they both collapse fully under the weight of my 7.5kg Falcon) So, here goes.

First step was to mark out where the covering is to removed to carry out the mods.

Remove the balsa skin and then remove the old bearers. This is very easy to do by grabbing with pointy nose pliers and wriggling

Cut away the ribs to allow the new bearers to be angled forward. 25mm x 12.5mm (1" x 1/2") bearers extended out to join 4 ribs.

Cut and epoxy gussets to seat new bearers. 6mm (1/4") hardwood.

Epoxy in the new bearers and when dry, cut and epoxy vertical gussets.

We modified the removed balsa skins to make up a set of templates to use when fabricating new ply skins.
Epoxy the ply back into place.

That is it. I will do the final trimming of the cutouts when the gear is fitted.

This is the third set of wings done this way and none have had a retract torn out once modified this way. If you are using straight struts instead of trailing arm then omit the raking forward on the UC bearers.

I hope this has been of some use.
Thanks for the use of your workshop and tools Patrick.

Col
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1936688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 2.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1936689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 1.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1936690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 5.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1936691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1936692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1936693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 6.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1936694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 7.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1936695  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 9.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1936696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 11.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1936699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 10.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1936700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 13.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1936701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 15.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1936702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 17.jpg
Views:	1145
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1936703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 16.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1936704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Mods 19.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1936705  

Last edited by SeaHawk; 11-04-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 PM
SeaHawk

After 76 flights and 9.5hrs of flying time my Falcon's canopy flew off and was lost in the model-eating swamp at the bottom of the field. I have sent off an email to Noray to see if he still has heavy duty replacements available.
Has anybody else had a canopy fly off in flight?

Cheers

Col
Old 11-17-2013, 09:36 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 76 flights and 9.5hrs of flying time my Falcon's canopy flew off and was lost in the model-eating swamp at the bottom of the field. I have sent off an email to Noray to see if he still has heavy duty replacements available.
Has anybody else had a canopy fly off in flight?

Cheers

Col
Unfortunately, Ray passed away over the summer....... I do believe that "Modellbau-UK" has sourced molds for tehm though.
Greg
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM
kmrcjets

hi col we nearly have a canopy mould ready give me a call
ken kmrc jets

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.