Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look under jets on RCU. There is a fellow selling an ARF called Fly Navy cat. I have 2 of them and they are exactly tge same as the falcon and tornado. Get the carbon reinforced version. With gear its 600 bucks. Mine was clocked at 168 mph running a K80. Lands like a kitten.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smeegarn
I have also received Ed's cockpit tubs, very well made and great service, nicely dresses up the Falcon,

Peter
Peter and others:
Thanks for the kind words and I am glad you like the tubs.

Originally Posted by hobbyaire
HI,
I'm a fellow "Falconer". Have one turbine powered built and is flying. However, I'd like to know where to buy one these days since Nitro, General & Modelbau, etc haven't had these in stock anymore -for a long, long time. TrendTimes says they have them in, but they have very BAD reviews, and don't trust them.
Hobbyaire:
There is an importer in San Diego, CA that is importing two updated and newer versions of the old Falcon 120. One version is just like the old Falcon 120 (called the Super Falcon Jet V3) and the other version is a very well done carbon fiber reinforced version of the same plane (called the Navy Cat CF). I am flying the carbon fiber version with carbon reinforcement and an 18 lb. thrust motor. Flies very well and I am very happy with the plane and the customer service.

Here is a link to the planes: http://www.rcjetsworld.com/index.php...s/turbine-jets

I did an assembly thread here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095652

COCKPIT TUB UPDATE
I have received orders for 15 new cockpit tubs that will fit the Falcon 120, Tornado and the Navy Cat planes. I will send an e-mail to all of those requesting a tub with an updated cost info sometime late next week. I hope to have the tubs by the end of next week. As of now I do not plane to make another run but I wanted to thank all of those that have ordered a tub.

Ed
Old 04-09-2014, 02:58 AM
Jgwright

Just received Ed's cockpit tub. Nice fit and very speedy delivery.

John
Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM
edwarda10pilot

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Just received Ed's cockpit tub. Nice fit and very speedy delivery.

John
John:
Glad the tub made it safely across the pond and glad you like the fit. Thanks so much for the kind words.

Ed
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I got mine several weeks ago, it looks good too. Mine had some foam stuck to the inside of it. I thought mine may be the last of them as it looked like part of the plug stuck to the plastic. Did you have to repair the plug/Mold?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM
edwarda10pilot

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
I got mine several weeks ago, it looks good too. Mine had some foam stuck to the inside of it. I thought mine may be the last of them as it looked like part of the plug stuck to the plastic. Did you have to repair the plug/Mold?
Terry:

Glad you got the tub.

Now to answer your question. No we did not have to repair the plug. We have done these vacuum projects before for some model manufacturers and ran into some problems. We were commissioned to do some vacuum formed pieces and after we had done the first batch, the guy that ordered them from us stopped ordering. Turns out he took our formed parts, shipped them to "you know where" and they used our formed pieces to make plugs for a mold. Sooo, to keep guys like that from duplicating our molded parts we insert a little CA and some micro balloons into strategic areas of the vacuum forms parts. This way, if you pour some Plaster of Paris or similar into the molded part you will not get a plug that is serviceable.

Ed

Last edited by edwarda10pilot; 04-12-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WARNING!!!

I don't think anyone is silly enough to do it,, but,, don't use the supplied nylon bolts for the Falcon.
I have been using them to hold the booms to the wings while I am building other parts of the model.
I just walked past and noticed that the boom was hanging loose. The heads of all the nylon bolts had dropped off. :0
These had no load to speak of, they were just holding parts together for construction. I shudder to think of the result if I had been stupid enough to use them operationally.

On a happier note, the cockpit tubs have arrived from Ed. Very nice. Nice thick material. Thanks Ed.

Col
Old 04-18-2014, 10:33 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Turns out he took our formed parts, shipped them to "you know where" and they used our formed pieces to make plugs for a mold.
Tell us who Ed (by email will do) so I know who to boycott.

Col
Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Xairflyer

Dont think anyone would use nylon bolts to hold on the booms in this model would they? I use 6mm cap head stainless
Old 04-19-2014, 03:39 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 PM
edwarda10pilot

I am not sure what kind of bolts the Super Falcon V3 (successor to the Falcon 120) comes with but the Navy Cat (same plane with a lot of carbon fiber in it) comes with steel socket head cap screws.

Ed
Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

I lost a model in the mid 80s when the heads of the nylon wing bolts came off under G load. Never used them since. I was horrified and amazed at these though. They just fell off after holding the booms to the wing for a couple of weeks while I worked on the fuse. I didn't think any of the regulars would use them for flying operations but I thought I would post a warning for any casual browsers.

Ed,, thanks for the email.

Col
Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Thanks for the heads' up SeaHawk-RCU. Even though I've been at this for a looooong time, I have been known to take shortcuts without warning
Old 04-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I lost a model in the mid 80s when the heads of the nylon wing bolts came off under G load.

it's not just nylon bolts. I have had 1/4 inch steel roofing bolts (from the land of high quality) have the heads come off
while tightening them up at work at surprisingly low torque.

Bought from a reputable hardware chain, not the $2 shop.

Everything is getting to be like box of chocolates ..................

John.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM
hobbyaire

Agreed - I use 6mm SS Philips as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys just finished my Navy cat carbon version that I got from the seller here on RCU, very nice kit with great service. Will post pics later on. This is my 4th Tornado/navy cat so I am very familiar with the model. I have one question though. The 3 previous ones i had were Modellbau Tornadoes and the supplied engine mounts had roughly 5 degrees of down thrust. This one is 0 degrees. I mounted the turbine as is but will there be any noticeable difference in flight characteristics with no down thrust? Why do the BVM bobcats, king kats and modelbau tornadoes have down thrust???
Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
edwarda10pilot

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
Hey Guys just finished my Navy cat carbon version that I got from the seller here on RCU, very nice kit with great service. Will post pics later on. This is my 4th Tornado/navy cat so I am very familiar with the model. I have one question though. The 3 previous ones i had were Modellbau Tornadoes and the supplied engine mounts had roughly 5 degrees of down thrust. This one is 0 degrees. I mounted the turbine as is but will there be any noticeable difference in flight characteristics with no down thrust? Why do the BVM bobcats, king kats and modelbau tornadoes have down thrust???
Joseph:
I did a mini review on the Navy Cat here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095652 . I ended up flying my Navy Cat with 6 degrees of down thrust. I am not familiar with the Tornado but neither my Falcon120 nor my Navy Cat came with down thrust made into the mount. I ended up making a "wedge" out of aluminum and inserted it between the engine mount and the aluminum mount supplied with the plane. The aluminum "wedge" I made is 1/2" wide, 1 1/4" inches long. It is 1/4" tall at one end and 1/16"tall at the other end. These dimensions give approximately 6 degrees of down thrust. The plane had rather dramatic trim changes at different throttle settings without the down thrust. Here is a video of one of the early flights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8iyMKr4oZls I ended up with the CG at 13" aft of the wing leading edge at the root.

Ed
Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Xairflyer

I will also help prevent you from burning your tail off
Old 04-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Ed....thanks for the reply...Yea I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 number 4 washers between the mount and the turbine on the two front bolts may get me pretty close.. ive always balanced mine at 13" as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

The down thrust will be needed during high speed flight to keep the aircraft from climbing on you. higher speed generates more lift and hence the tendency to climb.

Without the down thrust you'll be making huge trim changes or stick inputs in order to maintain level flight.

I'm on my third Tornado but have purchased two of the Navy Cats CF. I'm looking forward to putting them together.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please chaps lets not confuse the issue, it has been explained on here many many times, its not down thrust, its up thrust.

Mike
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 AM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Please chaps lets not confuse the issue, it has been explained on here many many times, its not down thrust, its up thrust.

Mike
Not worth it Mike I give up on this issue long time ago
Old 04-24-2014, 02:33 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pedantic, I think not, up and down are exact opposites.

The Falcon 120 does not need any up thrust, its a left over from prop aircraft and the fear of burning your tailplane, if your aircraft changes flight level on applying power then you have a longitudinal dihedral problem, there are a few informed people on here that have built them without any up or down thrust and they fly true.

Mike

EDIT: sorry Xairflyer we posted at the same time, but I think you are right, not really worth the effort, I think I will go and sit up on the sofa.

Last edited by BaldEagel; 04-24-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

it still down thrust because it is forcing the Nose Down.

you wouldn't call it up elevator on a canard when the T.E. is "up" forcing the canard down.

Last edited by Tampaflyer; 04-24-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Xairflyer

Originally Posted by Tampaflyer
it still down thrust because it is forcing the Nose Down.

you wouldn't call it up elevator on a canard when the T.E. is "up" forcing the canard down.
Pitch and thrust are two different things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.