Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't know that Kingtech made a gas start turbine, very retro ?

Mike
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 AM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job ! I have well over 100 flights on my falcon with the same turbine. She doesn't look as good as she used too but it is old faithful and the plane I fly the most. I'm getting ready to build my 3rd one.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:27 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawk-RCU
Here are some pics of the "Sea Falcon" on first assembly.
Everything went together well and all is on track for certification inspection and flight on Tuesday at Tingalpa Model Aero Club.
My old Falcon has been repainted by new owner Richard and hopefully should fly the same day.

The blue is darker than it looks in these flash affected pics.
Canopy from Ken at KMRC Jets, Cockpit tub from Ed edwarda 10pilot finished brilliantly by my son Michael.
Retracts and struts are hobbyking. Turbine is gas start Kingtech K80.
Electric power is two x 3 cell 1800mah LiFe batteries through a regulator (RCCSKJ black). A 2 cell 3000mah LiFe runs the turbine.and accessories.
Servos are Corona metal geared digital except for ailerons which are slimline Turnigy.
Blue paint is, ironically, Ford Falcon blue. Heh heh. Wings are fully sheeted and covered in film.
Two sets of nav lights are installed with a controller in each wing. All I need to run to the wings for the lights is 5v.

I will take some more pics on Tuesday.

Col
Hey Col,

I kept an eye out for you at Maryborough Jet's but didn't see your falcon 120??

It was a cracking weekend! the weather was perfect. I finished the repairs but not the final colour scheme for mine, But seeing as I didn't run into you I'll show you how far I got you'll see why I was careful, Mine is going into the other sides colours The scheme, even it was blue and grey was pretty visible. I've got to go to Melbourne tomorrow and then in Sydney all of the following week, but now as the rush is over, I'll finish the wings, and then do the fuse and booms in the final colours.

I did have my top and bottom strobes working and I've had a landing light on the nose gear for the last few years. How many watt's are you lights? mine a 1w LED's and the falcon was just too quick to see the strobes for most of the day.

Managed about 5 flights with her over the weekend, so it was all good!

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (5).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	567.4 KB
ID:	2007551   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (4).JPG
Views:	191
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	2007552   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (3).JPG
Views:	173
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2007553   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 (3).JPG
Views:	161
Size:	765.7 KB
ID:	2007554   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5 (2).JPG
Views:	167
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	2007555  

Last edited by ticketec; 06-22-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 AM
toolmaker7341

How many degrees down thrust are you using and any down elevator needed with flap deployment?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
How many degrees down thrust are you using and any down elevator needed with flap deployment?
I am not sure what the other folks are using but in my NavyCat (nee falcon) I am using 6 deg. of down thrust. I am flying mine with an 18 lb. thrust motor and there is no pitch trim change with the 6 deg. of down thrust at any of the throttle positions. With 45 deg. of flaps for landing I am programming a little more than 1/8" (more like 5/32") of down elevator.

Ed
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave:

Ahaa,

A Suckhoy SU120 Falconovitch.

I look forward to intercepting it over the North Sea (Logan River??) soon.

That scheme looks great Dave.

Didn't get finished in time for Maryborough .

toolmaker:

I used 3 degrees of tailpipe down on my old one and 5 degrees on this one. Same elevator to flap setting as yours Ed. I think that they are all pretty similar.

Mike:

I think the original K80's were gas start. K80E ??
I like the gas start, very reliable starting each time but means you have to carry extra gear.

4ptroll:

Thanks, I like the airframe, very versatile.

Col

Last edited by SeaHawk-RCU; 06-22-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to throw this into the mix, I did not use any down thrust on my Mk I Falcon and it flew fine, no pitch changes with speed or any bad habits, The first Falcon builders put the down thrust in to get the efflux away from the tail and its seems to have become folk law now.

Mike
Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hello Mike,

I am increasing the mount angle in this latest Falcon to counter the angle of the engine mount deck. Both my Falcons were version one and the angle of the rear deck to the bottom of the fuselage was different between the two.
I have not flown a Falcon with no "downthrust" so I will take your word for it.

Down to the field this morning for engine run. For starting I have a piece of metal house downpipe with four angle aluminium legs riveted to it. I stick the legs into the ground and back the engine outlet up to it. Luckily I decided to use it today as each attempt to start resulted in a very wet start and much flame from the engine, through the downpipe and a foot or so out the back. Each attempted start ended with an overtemp and shutdown before the start cycle completed. After conversing with Phil the turbine man I will adjust the start ramp downwards and try again.

Cheers

Col

Name:	DSC_1196.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2007961   Click image for larger version

Name:	AtField3.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	2007962  

Last edited by SeaHawk-RCU; 06-23-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I would agree with mike I have no idea what I have on mine just angled the tailcone down slightly to protect tail
Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
Just to throw this into the mix, I did not use any down thrust on my Mk I Falcon and it flew fine, no pitch changes with speed or any bad habits, The first Falcon builders put the down thrust in to get the efflux away from the tail and its seems to have become folk law now.

Mike

Yep... I run zero pitch on my mount... and she fly's great. There MAY be a pitch change at full throttle... but since the Falcon wasn't meant to go 200 mph... I've never held the throttle open long enough (in a straight line) to feel any issues.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 AM
edwarda10pilot

Down to the field this morning for engine run. For starting I have a piece of metal house downpipe with for angle aluminium legs riveted to it. I stick the legs into the ground and back the engine outlet up to it. Luckily I decided to use it today as each attempt to start resulted in a very wet start and much flame from the engine, thought the downpipe and a foot or so out the back. Each attempted start ended with an overtemp and shutdown before the start cycle completed. After conversing with Phil the turbine man I will adjust the start ramp downwards and try again.

Cheers

Col

Col:
I am sure you will get it figured out. I have an interesting story regarding my "exhaust pipe" for my Navy Cat. Last year I sold my turbine trainer and with it I sold my "exhaust pipe" similar to the one you and others have. Well, when I got the Navy Cat I needed a new pipe. SO off to the hardware store I went and I bought a nice shiny piece of 4" pipe. I mounted it to my base (as I had done with the previous 0ne) and off to the field I went. I proceeded to start my engine and after about 15 seconds parts of my "exhaust pipe" started melting. I quickly shut the engine down. After looking things over I discovered that I had accidentally bought an aluminum tube rather than the galvanized steel one I previously had. Anyway, my disintegrating exhaust pipe is still talked about and I am duly "criticized" and teased about my aluminum exhaust pipe. Moral of the story, DO NOT buy aluminum tube for your tail pipe.

Ed
Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

That would have been an interesting sight Ed. The flamethrower problem has been sorted. The culprit was a remote "switch" I was using in the +ive line to the pump. The switch was feeding receiver power to the pump as soon as fuel ramp started resulting in a spectacular show. Bypassed the switch and all worked normally. It will be replaced with a proper relay ASAP. Latest estimate for inspection and first flight is on Saturday morning.

Col
Old 06-25-2014, 02:26 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave:

Ahaa,

A Suckhoy SU120 Falconovitch.

I look forward to intercepting it over the North Sea (Logan River??) soon.

That scheme looks great Dave.

Didn't get finished in time for Maryborough .

Col
I was chuckling for ages.

Whatdayamean SUCKhoy??

It was actually more visible than what I expected. She's still at my mates house because he had the fuse and wings in his car, but I have 5 weeks to finish it before the maryborough airport event! Didn't get a chance to fit the UAT, but I think I'm going to but a C.A.T. instead as it will fit into the model way easier.

Thanks

dave
Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 AM
toolmaker7341

Mine is a Suckoy SU69 Siberian Saber

Last edited by toolmaker7341; 06-25-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM
edwarda10pilot

Col:

Yeah, it was concerning at first until we figured out what was going on and then it was amusing . I got my engine back from the maint. shop yesterday and got it in the plane today. Engine run was fine so I may be able to maiden it and the new Navy Cat this weekend.

Best of luck on your inspection/maiden flight.

Ed
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hello all,

I am in need of JR setup advice.
I am using a JR PCM9XII and have added down elevator to compensate for flap deployment. In the old Falcon I had the elevator compensation moving proportionally to the flap but I forgot how I did it.
Currently I have flaps deploying full travel in 1.5 seconds but the down elevator happens instantly. Any experts out there that can help?

Col
Old 06-26-2014, 06:32 PM
edwarda10pilot

Col:
I used to have my flaps on the servo slow (let them extend over a few seconds) but my elevator was instantaneous. Every time I deployed the flaps I had to "fly thru" the down elevator until the flaps were down. If finally decided to take the servo slow function out to the flaps and made the flaps and elevator instantaneous. Solved my problem. Might consider letting the flaps down immediately.

Ed
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Originally Posted by edwarda10pilot
Col:
I used to have my flaps on the servo slow (let them extend over a few seconds) but my elevator was instantaneous. Every time I deployed the flaps I had to "fly thru" the down elevator until the flaps were down. If finally decided to take the servo slow function out to the flaps and made the flaps and elevator instantaneous. Solved my problem. Might consider letting the flaps down immediately.

Ed
Thanks Ed,

I found the solution. In the JR 9XII "Flap System" menu is a delay setting. I set that to 1.5 seconds and now the flap and the elevator compensation happen together.

Col
Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Well today was the day.

Was at the field early this morning and, along with Richard, set up the two "Sea Falcons" for their certification flights. Phil the turbine man turned up, the weather was perfect and we were out of excuses Richard was the first cab off the rank. He fired up his kero start K80 and taxii'd out on the strip. A 40m roll and he was airborne. After the addition of some up trim he flew a perfect test flight ending with a greaser of a landing.

My turn, the gas start K80 started easily and out to the strip we went. After a slightly longer takeoff roll followed by application of a fair bit of elevator she rose into the air for the first time. Richard did the honours with full back trim on the elevator and it was almost trimmed level. By this time I had completed a circuit that was less than impressive as I had left way too much aileron movement dialed in resulting in lots of wing wagging. Ok, got the gear up and told the thumbs to be gentle. Flying nice and smoothly now so a slow roll then a loop. Tried to go over the top on cruise power (about 1/3rd throttle) and mushed over. Next circuit I tried a fast aileron roll. Brisk is not the right word here,, it rolled way too fast. Time for the flaps. I had followed the instructions for the flap mod by changing left for right and fitting upside down. This along with surface hinging, allowed plenty of flap travel and I had set the model up with about 60 degrees of flap. With plenty of height Richard selected full flap for me as I controlled the elevator. No problem, slight change in flight attitude and all good. Because of the extra flap movement I came in higher and pulled power slightly later than I am used to but the flaps did their work and the "Sea Falcon" settled back onto the strip. Big smiles all around.

Some adjustments to the elevator neutral point and aileron travel and she should be as much of a delight to fly as the previous Falcon. Below are some pics taken after the two proving flights.
Richard's is the grey/white one, mine is blue/white.

Col

Name:	First Flights 3.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	2009390   Click image for larger version

Name:	First Flights 1.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	2009391   Click image for larger version

Name:	First Flights 2.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	2009392  
Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 AM
edwarda10pilot

Col:

Congratulations to you and Richard on successful first flights. I am sure there are many more to come. The planes look really nice in the new livery.

Ed
Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Congrats…. There is nothing more rewarding to me, than seeing the fruits of your labor come out so nicely...
very nice looking birds!
Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Thanks Ed, jzuniga.

Looking forward to the next flight.

Time to start work on the Jetlegend CT-114 that has been waiting patiently for it's turn. I can only afford one engine though so it will (hopefully) be a slow build.

Col
Old 06-29-2014, 04:25 PM
red76ta

Congratulations and happy flying!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 AM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Does anyone know where to get a replacement canopy for the Falcon? Any info is appreciated. Thank You
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 AM
edwarda10pilot

Originally Posted by 4ptroll
Does anyone know where to get a replacement canopy for the Falcon? Any info is appreciated. Thank You
You can order one from Keith at Park Flyer Plastics : http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=694

The canopy is good quality and very clear.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.