Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:57 PM
toolmaker7341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the Navy cat carbon fiber version $599 on RCU with all hardware,tank,retracts,brakes and air system. I wouldn't use the servo extensions( used twisted HD extensions) or the ball links with the built in standoffs(sloppy) which I replaced with Dubro ball links,the ones without standoffs were fine. Glass fuse painted and film coverd wings,booms and stab. Couldn't find anything to fix or reglue great quality and workmenship.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:25 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Hi guys,

Seem to me I have found the right thread, with all the Falcon 120 guru's. After the 2014 QTFly-in up north the QTF (Queensland Turbine Flyers) committee decided to spend some of it's war chest and acquired a new Carbon Falcon 120/Navy Cat airframe from Ken Mollison of KMRC. The idea is to have it done as a-have-a-go-jet for when we go to visit clubs and there are guys that wish to get the kero burning feel.

I have ended up with the build and have a few questions as there is no manual or instructions in the box. I would like to get some idea of what all the bits and pieces in the box are for, so can any of you point me in the right direction please? It will be helpful if I can get a link to a basic how to, otherwise I am gonna have to bore you bunch with all the detail.

Thanks for your help.

Jan.
Jan:

I have made some posts here regarding my assembly of the Navy Cat CF (carbon fiber) but I did a thread on this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095652 It is a little shorter than this thread. I have posted photos of the two Navy cats I have done and have posted control throws, C of G, etc. Might give it a read.

Ed
Old 08-09-2014, 08:14 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mod, please delete.

Posted to wrong place.

Last edited by SeaHawk-RCU; 08-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:07 PM
hobbyaire
My Feedback: (1)

Turbine was fine, mainly just ouch to the nose and mid section ... kinda looked like me after a fight way back on the old days (just kidding)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hello Ed,

Any chance of another run of cockpit tubs? Richard and I can order 7 or so if that makes it worth while.
I have none left after my mishap and Richard lost the canopy and tub from his (my original Falcon with abt 150 flights) and wants some more.
He said he will take a half dozen and I'll add a couple more to that. The Falcon is such a great everyday model that neither of us can see a time when we wont have one;

Col
Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 AM
edwarda10pilot

Col:
Let me give it some thought. I will have to make a plug as the old one is gone (lost). I have a couple of other things on the task list so it might be a bit if you can wait.

Ed
Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by SeaHawk-RCU
Hello Ed,

Any chance of another run of cockpit tubs? Richard and I can order 7 or so if that makes it worth while.
I have none left after my mishap and Richard lost the canopy and tub from his (my original Falcon with abt 150 flights) and wants some more.
He said he will take a half dozen and I'll add a couple more to that. The Falcon is such a great everyday model that neither of us can see a time when we wont have one;

Col
Hi Ed Please
I will take at least 2 tub maybe a third. Please Please Please Please I'm sure Yong Li will sell them for you when he sell kits
Old 08-31-2014, 07:38 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
Hi Ed Please
I will take at least 2 tub maybe a third. Please Please Please Please I'm sure Yong Li will sell them for you when he sell kits
How can you resist Mike's heartfelt plea?

Richard may be able to patch his broken one together temporarily and same with the super detailed one I buried into the river bank.
So no immediate hurry Ed, whenever and if you decide to do it will be fine.

Col

Last edited by SeaHawk-RCU; 10-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:52 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Originally Posted by edwarda10pilot
Col:
Let me give it some thought. I will have to make a plug as the old one is gone (lost). I have a couple of other things on the task list so it might be a bit if you can wait.

Ed
Hello Ed,

Any more thought given on another run of cockpit tubs? Still no hurry but I would like to do another detailed one one day.

Col
Old 10-26-2014, 10:40 PM
ModellbauUK

I have some tubs kicking around. What's the width if your fuzz as some tubs are wider than others depending on your model version.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Hello,

This current model is a ver 2. The width at the widest part (outside to outside) is 102mm.
Any idea of price including postage to Queensland, postcode 4127. ??
How many do you have available?

Thanks

Col
Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 AM
edwarda10pilot

Originally Posted by SeaHawk-RCU
Hello Ed,

Any more thought given on another run of cockpit tubs? Still no hurry but I would like to do another detailed one one day.

Col
Col:
I have built a new vacuum forming machine and oven to accommodate bigger tubs and canopies and am in the process of finishing it. I also have to fabricate a new tub as the old one is gone. The new tub will be a little different but I will update the thread as soon as I get something available.

Thanks for waiting and if you can find one from someone else, please feel free to go to them.

Ed
Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 PM
toolmaker7341

Hi Ed I will wait so "Please" continue
Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Today I took the new "Sea Falcon MkII" to LARCS for it's first assembly, radio and engine test and, all going well, certification flight.
Assembly went reasonably smoothly with just a little bad language from your truly. Time to fuel up, smelled and then saw dripping kero, cut out a leaking section of Tygon and rejoined to fuel solenoid,,, all ok. Engine started and ran up ok. Shut down and did walk around range check at double what I normally do, all still good. Checked CoG with full tanks just to see where it was and then I was out of excuses.

The weather was fine but windy with 10kts gusting to 15kts and sometimes 20kts. One last check to see is all controls working and in the correct sense and away she went
A bit of up elevator was needed to rotate and then maintain a climb. I held up elevator as I dialed in a little aileron trim to correct a left roll then up elevator trim. I trimmed it level at 1/2 throttle and gear down, selected gear up and had to retrim slightly. All was ok but for excessive aileron movement so time for flaps down check at a good height. No roll evident, visible decline in speed and a slight sink rate. Flaps up, a roll into wind just because I wanted to and then time to set up for landing. Gear down on upwind leg, flaps down on downwind leg and the model was ready. even if I wasn't . The wind blew the model a little to far necessitating a bit more throttle to help clear the swamp, over the strip and fighting the gusts, throttle off, idle rpm a little too high, touched down hard on the mains but no bounce. whew. As I taxiing the model back it was obvious that the left main had deflected a little. On inspection it was found that the front former had pulled free. An easy fix.

So, the new Falcon has survived it's maiden and after the addition of some epoxy to the U/C bearers (all of them just for insurance), adjustment of aileron travel and adjustment of centre points I hope to take her into the air again this coming weekend in company with the other "Sea Falcon" owned by Richard from TMAC.

Here are some post flight pix.

Col

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Falcon MkII_b.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	2042964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Falcon MkII_a.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	2042965  

Last edited by SeaHawk-RCU; 10-28-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Yogi073

Hi Col
Very glad all went well

Hi Ed
Pleased to hear you are making more tubs

Greg
Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 AM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Hi Ed.....I will purchase 3 tubs when you have them available. keep us posted please.

Happy Flying
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ed,

I'm also interested in a cockpit tub when they are available.

Joe
Old 11-10-2014, 01:29 PM
edwarda10pilot

Default Cockpit Tubs

Just wanted to update some of you on the tubs. I have been working on a new mold and had to build new vacuum machine and oven. While doing this I encountered couple of medical issues with my health that means it might be a little longer before I can return to the molds. Sorry for the delay.

Ed
Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 PM
red76ta

Just wanted to update some of you on the tubs. I have been working on a new mold and had to build new vacuum machine and oven. While doing this I encountered couple of medical issues with my health that means it might be a little longer before I can return to the molds. Sorry for the delay.

Ed
Take care of yourself first, Ed! I hope you are better soon!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM
toolmaker7341

Dito
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
edwarda10pilot

Guys, thanks for the good wishes and words of encouragement. I thought I was having a stroke but it turned out to be something called Bell's Palsy. This is a viral infection that paralyzes the facial muscles on one side of the face (left side in my case). I can not "smile", furrow my brow, move my left eyebrow, close my left eyelid and a number of other things. I can not chew without biting my tongue (so I am on a liquid diet), can not drink liquids unless thru a straw as my lips will not "conform" to the shape of a glass or cup. Most discouraging is that not being able to close my eyelid means that the eye (cornea specifically) becomes very irritated and this causes sensitivity to light and air flow. So, to make it thru this phase I am wearing a patch over my eye. The paralysis should end in about 2-3 weeks but the blurred vision (caused by the scratched cornea) will take a few months to recover.

When I was diagnosed, I knew nothing about the virus but here is what I found out. As some might have seen a commercial on TV (here in the US) highlighting the fact that if you have had Chicken Pox then the virus that caused it is still in you are susceptible to Shingles. Not a lot is known about Bells' Palsy but a viral infection and it thought to be caused by the same virus that causes cancor sores in your mouth. This virus lives in your body and can cause a relapse of the Bell'sPalsy at anytime. So, if you have some of the following symptoms, go to the emergency room or your physician. My symptoms were:

1. Difficulty in chewing on one side of my mouth without biting my tongue
2. Numbness on my cheeks when trying to shave (electric razor so no worry about cutting myself). I could not feel the razor touching my skin when shaving.
3 Tingling sensation or lack of sensitivity along the side of my face and forehead
4. Inability to blink (voluntarily) my eyelid
5. Itchy or sore eye
6. Really bad headache
7. Failure of the nostrils on the left side of my nose to "work"

Now I am not a doctor but these can sometimes be mistaken for the onset of a stroke so if you have the above feeling/symptoms please see a doctor immediately as it can make a huge difference.

All of this to say that for right now, the work on the tubs is on the back burner.

Take care,
Ed
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM
ModellbauUK

Kevin Walker. Your mailbox is full and your emails are bouncing back. Does anyone know his user name on here?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:37 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

All of this to say that for right now, the work on the tubs is on the back burner.

Take care,
Ed
Hello Ed,

I have just checked back into the thread and read about your health issues. Bell's Palsy sound truly horrendous Ed. I hope you kick this terrible infection as soon as possible. Don't worry about cockpit tubs,, we can do without.
Get Well (to paraphrase the "Demolition Man" greeting).

Col
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM
edwarda10pilot

Col:
thanks for the kind words and words of encouragement. Yeah, this viral infection is kind of difficult to work thru but I am sure it will pass. I am finally getting to the point where I can chew small pieces of food without biting my tongue or lips but still have to drink with a straw. My biggest worry is that the most telling effect is a scratched cornea and as a result some blurred vision.

However, I am making slow but steady progress. Have an appointment with physical therapy/speech pathology to start teaching my muscles how to "behave".

Thanks again and happy holidays to all of you . Please be safe.
Ed
Old 12-13-2014, 06:39 PM
edwarda10pilot

Default Falcon 120/Navy Cat Cockpit Tub Update

I thought I would update the thread regarding the cockpit tubs I previously sold. I have been working on a couple of new vacuum tables as well as a heating oven. In addition I have been working on a new mold for the tub. After some thought and comments from others I have changed the tub a little bit. The previous tub had a "seat back" for the pilot and some details behind the seat. I have had a few guys ask me for a tub that would accommodate two pilots or one pilot and a GIB (guy in back) so the new tubs will have the basic tub bottom and I will offer the seat back and a small "rectangular box" that you can add for some more detail.

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. The "rectangular box" is not in the photo but it will be provided. Right now I am seeking comments and not yet taking orders so please offer input but no requests for units just yet. Once I get you input, I will decide what to mold and offer.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Seat Tub Instrument Panel.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	2054869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Seat Tub Photo 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	2054870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Seat Tub Photo 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	2054871  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.