Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

VELOX.. Build thread with Photo's..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Peter Koleff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.
I hope that landings will be less stressfull in the future !
Is yours completely lost ?

Peter.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:25 PM
blakeketcham
My Feedback: (61)

No, just needs some work. Winter project now. Turbine was still running. Just a tip stall and roll over into grass.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Blake....

I'll be home tomorrow night. If the weather is nice, we may be able to fly on Sun.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 AM
f16jetman

Hi Sling MT I hav the gen 1 with a kingtech 80 in her weight is 11.4kg i know she will be fast on approach just seeking as much info on it as i can get also do you know if u can turn a gen 1 into a gen 2 just by getting the longer booms for the gen1 to make her not such a pig I have refurbished the 1 I have over the past 3mths alot of work has gone into her would hate to lose it on the maiden any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated cheerz John K
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 AM
jedda747

Hi mate the gen 2 has a longer fuse than the g1 , the nose Is a lot longer in the g2
regards
rob.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by jedda747
Hi mate the gen 2 has a longer fuse than the g1 , the nose Is a lot longer in the g2
regards
rob.
The only difference from my knowledge and others that I know that have converted the Velox G1 to the G2 is the length of the Booms. The new longer booms will fit the G1 with some minor mods.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 PM
sandyjain

Originally Posted by f16jetman
Hi Sling MT I hav the gen 1 with a kingtech 80 in her weight is 11.4kg i know she will be fast on approach just seeking as much info on it as i can get also do you know if u can turn a gen 1 into a gen 2 just by getting the longer booms for the gen1 to make her not such a pig I have refurbished the 1 I have over the past 3mths alot of work has gone into her would hate to lose it on the maiden any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated cheerz John K
Hi Jetman,
I too have aG1 with Kingtech K80...don't recall the weight.
My experience is that you need to fly hot - throttle more than 50% and keep the nose down. Always careful of up elevator and definitely never at low speed.
I always have my spotter keep telling me "nose down throttle up"
During landing keep it hot and nose down, flare just short of touch down....and again nose down after touch down. I have had it cobra even after landing!!

Its fun to fly and makes a nice whistle sound....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5047.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2048681   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5052.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2048682  
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings all, (if anyone still watches this thread)
I have just bought a G1 Velox new in box and have just read the entire thread with interest. I must admit that if I had read this thread before I bought I may have had second thoughts. I have been flying on RC and off for 30+ years but have only been flying turbine jets for the past couple of years. Most of my jet flying has been on the Falcon 1.20 (Tornado/Navy Cat) which has very gentle stall characteristics and flies very well. After reading through all the posts in here I will lengthen the booms and probably fit a removable nose cone. All batteries as far forward as possible. Hopefully have as much fun with the Velox as I have had with my Falcons.

Now, about the Cobra, is it possible that at low speed, high alpha the outer wing is stalling before the centre section thereby moving the "centre of lift" forward and inducing nose up? If anyone has access to both Gen 1 and Gen 2 aircraft it would be interesting to see if the Gen 2 has increased washout in the outer panels.Has anyone tried leading edge slats at the tips to delay the stall at that point?

Regardless I will extend the tail booms and hope for the best.

Regards

Col
Old 04-02-2015, 06:58 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Col,

I redesigned the G2 for this Velox a while back. It's a lifting body design with short tail coupling, so G1 will induce Cobra stall violently and very unpredictable regardless how you adjust ailerons setting. The easy solution is to extend the boom and nose by 15% and you will solve the problem. Don't worry about adding a pound of weight in the extension. The wing loading is light on this jet. G2 conversion will fly and land smoothly. Good luck.

Mike
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. Yes, I had decided to do the boom extension (it works so why try something else).Is 15% the optimal amount or the minimum amount? I have measured along the bottom of my booms and they are 36" so a 6" or so extension as stated elsewhere would be the "go". I am just reading Dick's build and flight thread on JMA so I will also add 3 degrees of down at the exhaust (carefully avoiding the "upthrust/downthrust" argument). I haven't fully unpacked the box yet so I cannot comment about glue joints etc though with my experience with reinforcing my Falcon 1.20s it shouldn't be a problem. One area of criticism I have seen is that the mounting rails for the UC are oversize. In my case they are a perfect fit for the large electric retract units from Hobbyking. I have used these on my Falcons and have yet to have one fail.

Anyway Mike, it is good to see the thread is still being monitored and I will not be shy about posting queries and pics as the assembly progresses.

Col
Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

15% is minimum for safe conversion. Quality of this kit is a lot better than Falcon but still check all glue joint since your is the G1. Have fun and let us see your posts. Mike
Old 04-04-2015, 03:29 AM
tjrhodes01

Hi I have owned and flown both still currently flying my g2 and luv it actually took best sport jet award at last years michigan jets the wings are not stalling it is the elevator gettng blanked out by inboard wing and fuse at sertain alfas a trick is to not get the nose to high at landing but the boom ext will fix issue gets it out of plain of wash as for g2 I cant force it to cobra
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

An interesting phenomenon regardless of what causes it and one that I can do without experiencing. I have been spoiled by the excellent low speed flight characteristics of the Falcon/Tornado/Navycat so I will be aiming to replicate those similar characteristics of the G2 by extending the booms on my Gen1 Velox. The Velox is a leap ahead in quality and looks and I would hate to lose it to an unintended cobra.

Col
Old 05-22-2015, 09:41 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

I am just about to start the boom extension process and am intending to break the booms just in front of the trailing edge of the wings. Can anyone tell me what the construction of the booms is in that area?

Col
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Default Step 1, boom extension

Greetings Earthlings.
In case someone is still watching this thread and there is still some interest I will post some pics as I get into this project.
The first step I have decided to undertake is the extension of the booms by 6". I have made the cut 1" behind the trailing edge so that thickness of the patch is not an issue.
I made the cut with surgical precision (I used a hacksaw) and was surprised to find the the inside consisted of the glass skin with a 3" sheet of balsa each side. Ok,, it certainly seemed firm and strong enough.
I cut three pieces per boom of 10mm (sorry for mixing metric and imperial here) carbon fibre tube 10" long, this allowed for a 6" extension of the boom with 2" each end of overlap for strength.
The carbon fibre was glued into the booms using 3M Scotch Weld Epoxy. 2 pieces top and bottom on the out surface and 1 piece in the centre on the inner surface. I was very surprised at the rigidity of this arrangement as I was only intending for it to keep the boom pieces in position while glassing. My skills at glassing are legendary for their non existence so the booms are with Horst from Skyraider Model Products for the glasswork. Thanks Horst.

While the booms are away I have been mulling over the next step. I am following the assembly manual downloaded from the interweb so the retracts are going in first. The 15kg electric retracts from Hobbyking are a neat fit into the existing gear rails along with struts from the same place. The struts required machining from 12mm down to 10mm to fit the retract trunion but otherwise are a perfect length. I needed do remove a small semi circle from the rails to accommodate the retract but that took all of 10mins with the Dremel.

Next I will prepare the turbine mounting rails to suit the Kingtech gas start K80. Once this is done it is time to rub back and paint. I don't really like the yellow and orange scheme so I am going to a variation of the Russian post war winter camo scheme. It isn't a scale model so I have some poetic license.
I will post pics as the project progresses and welcome any tips you might be able to offer.

Col

PS
Has anyone fitted the gear doors to their Velox,,, hints and or pics?
Does anyone use the engine cover? Any mods required?

Name:	Velox boom cut 1.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2129588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velox boom cut 2.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2129589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velox boom cut 3.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2129590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maingear 1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2129591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maingear 2.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2129592  

Last edited by SeaHawk-RCU; 11-07-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 AM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by SeaHawk-RCU
Greetings Earthlings.
In case someone is still watching this thread and there is still some interest I will post some pics as I get into this project.
The first step I have decided to undertake is the extension of the booms by 6". I have made the cut 1" behind the trailing edge so that thickness of the patch is not an issue.
I made the cut with surgical precision (I used a hacksaw) and was surprised to find the the inside consisted of the glass skin with a 3" sheet of balsa each side. Ok,, it certainly seemed firm and strong enough.
I cut three pieces per boom of 10mm (sorry for mixing metric and imperial here) carbon fibre tube 10" long, this allowed for a 6" extension of the boom with 2" each end of overlap for strength.
The carbon fibre was glued into the booms using 3M Scotch Weld Epoxy. 2 pieces top and bottom on the out surface and 1 piece in the centre on the inner surface. I was very surprised at the rigidity of this arrangement as I was only intending for it to keep the boom pieces in position while glassing. My skills at glassing are legendary for their non existence so the booms are with Horst from Skyraider Model Products for the glasswork. Thanks Horst.

While the booms are away I have been mulling over the next step. I am following the assembly manual downloaded from the interweb so the retracts are going in first. The 15kg electric retracts from Hobbyking are a neat fit into the existing gear rails along with struts from the same place. The struts required machining from 12mm down to 10mm to fit the retract trunion but otherwise are a perfect length. I needed do remove a small semi circle from the rails to accommodate the retract but that took all of 10mins with the Dremel.

Next I will prepare the turbine mounting rails to suit the Kingtech gas start K80. Once this is done it is time to rub back and paint. I don't really like the yellow and orange scheme so I am going to a variation of the Russian post war winter camo scheme. It isn't a scale model so I have some poetic license.
I will post pics as the project progresses and welcome any tips you might be able to offer.

Col

PS
Has anyone fitted the gear doors to their Velox,,, hints and or pics?
Does anyone use the engine cover? Any mods required?
Here is a quick video of the gear doors.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=lQyWRSysoP8

Will need long air cylinders to get the center doors opened far enough for the gear to clear when they retract. There is not much room so they need to be opened really wide. The air cylinders mount deep inside just forward of the former you can see through the gear opening. (Right behind the fuel tank). I think the cylinders are 4".

I also have the engine cover mounted. I have small button head screws. 3 on each side and 1 in the center above the engine. Fits perfect.

One final note, there is not much wheel exposed below the strut covers. If you're flying off of grass there will not be much clearance. Only the bottom half of the wheel sticks out below the strut door. If flying off paved surface, the doors have plenty of clearance.

I've got the gen 2 version so my booms are already 15% longer than the original Velox. This is a great flying jet and I've got probably 150 or more flights on it. It absolutely will not cobra with the longer booms. I have a jet central Bee II for power and get around 160mph speed.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:31 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Originally Posted by M3Baker
Here is a quick video of the gear doors.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=lQyWRSysoP8
If you get a chance could you please post some pics of the hinging of all doors and the linking to the gear leg for the outer doors?

Will need long air cylinders to get the center doors opened far enough for the gear to clear when they retract. There is not much room so they need to be opened really wide. The air cylinders mount deep inside just forward of the former you can see through the gear opening. (Right behind the fuel tank). I think the cylinders are 4".
Hmm, I will be using electric wormdrive actuators for the doors,, I may need to use an intermediate bellcrank to increase throw. Thanks for the heads up,, a good thing to know.

I also have the engine cover mounted. I have small button head screws. 3 on each side and 1 in the center above the engine. Fits perfect.

One final note, there is not much wheel exposed below the strut covers. If you're flying off of grass there will not be much clearance. Only the bottom half of the wheel sticks out below the strut door. If flying off paved surface, the doors have plenty of clearance.
I do fly off grass so this could be an issue,,, I might need to cut the outer door, fix the lower half to the leg and hinge the upper half to wing,,,as per FW-190.

I've got the gen 2 version so my booms are already 15% longer than the original Velox. This is a great flying jet and I've got probably 150 or more flights on it. It absolutely will not cobra with the longer booms. I have a jet central Bee II for power and get around 160mph speed.
I will be using my gas start K80 so it should get around ok,,, I do not want fast,, just scale "jet at airshow" speed for my old eyes.

Thanks for your input, it is very helpful.

Col
Old 11-14-2015, 10:59 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Been a bit slack but here is my latest effort. I don't like the yellow/orange colour so I am going for a Russian winter camo scheme, similar to the one available from Fei Bao. I have rubbed back and undercoated the right wing and control surfaces. I ground away the lower skin back to the rear spar to allow flap deflection and glued the aileron and flap in using the 3M Scotch-weld I have handy. Have to be quick as the drying time is a lot less than Hysol.
Pics show the undercoated and glued starboard wing with the cutouts for flap deflection.

I should have the booms back from Skyraider Model Productions this week. Will post pics.

Col

Name:	StbWing1.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2130655   Click image for larger version

Name:	StbWing2.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	2130656   Click image for larger version

Name:	StbWing3.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2130657  
Old 12-05-2015, 11:31 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Ok,, A little more work done. I have painted the underside white and applied a star for effect. The servos have been fitted and it was only when too late that I noticed that the aileron mounts seem to be the wrong way around. Ahh well,, I will make sure that the horn ties in to the inner edge of the aileron for rigidity.

I bought a vinyl cutter a while back and now it is coming in very handy.

Name:	RHwing1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2134188   Click image for larger version

Name:	RHwing2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2134189  
Old 01-01-2016, 03:39 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Top surfaces of one wing painted and decal cut and applied. Non scale colours but it isn't a scale model. Clear coat over the lot still to be applied.

The booms have come back from Horst at Skyraider Models and look a treat. I gave them to him as per previous post in this thread and he has worked his fibreglass magic. Contoured the leading edges perfectly.
Hopefully no Cobra for this Velox.

And I have also been fitting out and painting the tailplane.

So the Velox is progressing slowly. Looking forward to seeing it in the air though.

Col

Name:	Wing_top_3.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2138954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing_top_4.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2138955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended Boom 1.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2138956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended Boom 2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2138957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended Boom 3.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2138958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailplane 1.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2138960  
Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

Default Work resumed.

After a long period of laziness I have started work on the Velox again. I am attacking the gear doors as the first part of fuselage fit-out as I have never done them before. I have the main gear and doors finished and am about to start on the nose gear.

Col

Name:	gear_door1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2218139   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear_door2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	2218140   Click image for larger version

Name:	gear_door3.jpg
Views:	40