Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

T-38 Jet Rally, Lubbock TX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

T-38 Jet Rally, Lubbock TX

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:22 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-38 Jet Rally, Lubbock TX

Kevin

I wasn't there but the word is that Randy won the A-4 and the Spektrum module was not given away. As the module was given to the event, I think the module should be returned to Joey or if someone wants to buy it and the money should be given to Joey also.

My opinion FWIW
Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bcovish

Kevin

I wasn't there but the word is that Randy won the A-4 and the Spektrum module was not given away. As the module was given to the event, I think the module should be returned to Joey or if someone wants to buy it and the money should be given to Joey also.

My opinion FWIW
That is one of the things that we will be talking about tonight and tomorrow.

Just got back in from the field finishing the clean up duties and I had just finished washing the dirt off when I checked in on the thread here. I'll bring it up with Mike when I see him later on.

Randy just had the luck of (fill in the blank with your favorite expression here) - period. End of story. The winner of the Spektrum module will be posted here soon. As far as I know, the drawings for the DX7 and the trainer still have not been determined either. So Mike, or me, or someone else will post the winner here after they have been notified. Stay tuned to this Bat Channel for more details later.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Randy won again? He's 2 for 2. Can't do any better than that!
Thanks for posting pics, Don. I brought my camera Friday, and unfortunately never took it out. Then, Sat morning looked like it was meant for ducks, so we bailed out early. []
Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post my pictures of the event in the next few hours.........my plane and the clear Saturday afternoon skies are the only thing in them though Got 5 flights, awesome field - that would be awesome to call that site home.........I drove down the runway real fast in my Tahoe before I left that was fun........ I got into town Sat morning @ about 7am - slept until 2 and went to the field to find 1 RV and a ghostown. Oh well!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70832.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	745432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53342.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	745433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98179.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	745434  
Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcjets12

Sean how did the F-86 fly any pictures or video. How was the landing?

Thanks
Jose

Flew fabulously. Landing was a non issue. Did some slow flybys for the cameras and videos a few times. I never saw what they got though.

I didn't have time to do my own picture taking, I burned some 40 gallons of jet fuel over the past 5 days. I had a blast there, and at Waco today.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

ORIGINAL: rcjets12

Sean how did the F-86 fly any pictures or video. How was the landing?

Thanks
Jose

Flew fabulously. Landing was a non issue. Did some slow flybys for the cameras and videos a few times. I never saw what they got though.

I didn't have time to do my own picture taking, I burned some 40 gallons of jet fuel over the past 5 days. I had a blast there, and at Waco today.

Thanks for the info I'm happy to hear that all went well. I was on the fence about building my F-86 because I kept hearing that it flew like a brick with wings. I guess I'll get build it now after I finish with my kids F-16.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
jetjockey

Everybody,

Randy Brown won the TamJets A-4 (Lucky - wish he would pick some lottery numbers for me), James Love won the Horizon Electric Airliner and decided to keep it after all, and the Spektrum Module was not drawn for because of some confusion and mis-communication and will be returned to Joey Tamez with our sincere appreciation for his donation efforts. We have three trophies that need to be awarded and our trophy committe will meet tonight to decide the recipients for them. I'm planning on coming to Waco, so will bring them with me to present (unless we need to mail them somewhere else). We've got all the loose ends tied down, and apologize for the confusion. We had planned to make all the drawings and presentations at the Saturday night banquet which had to be cancelled due to the rain and closing of the event, hence the confusion.

Anyway, we appreciate all the brave souls who came out to fly with us, and hope you all had a good time. I personally had a great time, but wasn't happy with the rain. The weather is something that can't be controlled, and especially out here in West Texas -- but who ever heard of a hurricane in West Texas during August?????

Hope everyone had a great time, and accept our sincere thanks for coming to fly with us at our new site. More work needs to be done, but is already in the planning, so hopefully, it will improve with time.

See you in Waco!!!!

Les
Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
shanksow

For the record. The winner of the NextStar Trainer was a Randy Smithson of Lubbock, Texas. Winner of the DX7 radio is Gary Poe of Synder, Texas. Both winners have already been contacted about their respective wins and I hope that they will enjoy them a lot. And as far as I am concerned, my part in this year's event is now over with.

Have fun in Waco. I hope that I might be able to travel down there with some other folks to see that Vulcan fly, but it is too soon to tell for me right now.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
TXJETS
My Feedback: (3)

THANKS TO ALL THE GANG IN LUBBOCK, I HAD A GREAT TIME, LOOKFORWARD TO NEXT YEAR, HOPE TO SEE YOU IN WACO,

RANDY
Old 08-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Vacman
My Feedback: (14)

Just wanted to chime in and tell all how great this event was! Even though the weather messed with our flying a bit, it was still one of those fabulous meets! Great people, nice air, beautiful airplanes, great food! I'm sure Deiter and I will keep this meet on the radar screen for next year, for sure.
Huge thanks to Randy for providing POWER & THE BIG TOP, as well as the fine dinning, BBQ style! What a treat! Glad you dug the turbine heli too (not always so appreciated).
And Sean - You................! Texas Hold'm? How did I ever get sucked into that! I will say, it's more fun winning than loosing.
Larry
Old 08-20-2007, 03:56 PM
seanreit

Larry, I need a picture of your nose gear door installation (lightning). I saw it, and then forgot what I saw!

Thanks bud.

Great to see you guys as always!

[email protected]
Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Vacman

On it's way pal!
It was great seeing your smiling face dude! Your smile is absolutely contagious.
Wish we were going to Waco, but one too many conflicts! We’re never going to Tucson again though, so it will have to be another meet down your way. Keep me posted on when and where and we’ll hit the trail accordingly.
Larry
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 PM
SUMMIT120

I wanted to thank everyone for participating in the event. I was disappointed in the weather, but not in the level of participation. The piloting and equipment get better and better every year. Friday was very impressive in how well everyone was able to handle a dark, damp sky with a stiff crosswind. We had a lot of great flights and only one casualty.

A few airplanes really caught my eye. I thought that the Lightnings flew great and looked impressive in the air. Doc Jones' F-100 really looked like the real thing, and he flew it in a very scale-like and professional manner. I can't wait to see the 262 fly.

The barbecue that Randy provided was the best I have ever had. I want to thank him for the Jet A+ barbecue, and for being the life of the party for a solid week, as well as for providing the kits for the raffle. I also want to thank Joey Tamez and Robert Masten for their generous support as well.

Our local club did great also. We lost our field of the past 9 years on August 12, and we put on an event at the new field on August 14. To me the sky at Abernathy flies better than the old place anyway. Many thanks to Robert, Les, James, Don, Carl, John, Steve, Moh, Brian, Collin, Ken, Doug, Henry, Joe, Howard, Lee, Rocket, and anyone else that I am forgetting for their help and patience. Many thanks to the City of Abernathy as well.

Again, thanks to all of our participants. We all have developed a lot of friendships over the past 8 years. This event is based on these friendships, and, like friendship, it will continue to grow.

Les and James, I know that I am forgetting something so please help me out...

Mike Danchak
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61298.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	746055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35910.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	746056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74290.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	746057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63140.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	746058  
Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: jetjockey

We have three trophies that need to be awarded and our trophy committe will meet tonight to decide the recipients for them.

Les

So who won what?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Vacman

My friends of the Texas Hold'm Table Friday night - thanks once again for giving me all your money (I just wanted to go to bed!). AND, if you'll recall, we talked about my 15 year old daughter staying home alone that night. Sadly, you (Roger, Doc, Tim, Randy and so many more) were all correct!
A 15 year old is NOT to be trusted. She and two friends took my wife's Prius car for a joy ride! No damage, except to her freedom and many other privileges I would have never believed she'd pull that (you know, being so perfect and all) but sure as you all promised, she did! She's now 'grounded for life'. Just another lesson in life for us old farts.
Larry
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Vacman

Les,
Let me know if you need my address for the trophies. I mean, surely I won something, didn't I? Best Turbine Helicopter maybe?
Larry
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM
jetjockey

Ok Guys, here are the results of the Trophy committee... the envelope please...

Best Scale, Sponsored by Wings and Things: George (Doc) Jones for his beautiful BVM F-100.

Best Sport Performance, Sponsored by JetCat USA: Sean Rittimeir with his MegaBar - flew the pants off that poor machine all weekend.

Best Markings, Sponsored by ProMark: Mike Danchek for his Balsa Bandit - beautiful finish and markings.

I will deliver Doc's and Sean's trophies to Waco in 3 weeks. Sorry, Larry, if we had a trophy for most noise, you would have won it for the heli, but we didn't think about that catagory. Maybe next year??

Thanks to everyone who participated. As Mike Danchek stated before, we were all very impressed with the piloting skills and professionalism displayed by all the participants. Our division of model aviation has certainly matured through the years, and we are able to fly many hours with very few mishaps. Speaks well for the future of turbine powered aircraft.

See you in Waco.

Regards, Les
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Vacman

Most Noise? No way. I can name at least .........hmmmm..........well, maybe not. OK, I'll do my extended hovering further away from center stage next time.
In any case, let me say to all that missed this event - YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE! Even with the little rain, it was one of the best meets I've been to in a long, long time and we'll be there again next year, for sure!!!
Thanks again Randy, Les and all!
Larry
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM
seanreit

Larry's just excited that he made a hundred bucks in the poker game!

For the first time, I sat down at that game, realized there was no question I was outwitted, lost my 20 and left the game!

I had a great time, I maidened Three jets at the rally, all were incredible success stories, burned some 40 gallons of jet fuel by the time all was said and done.

That Megabar sure has a bad paint job, but man o man, she sure does fly. Several pilots got some stick time on it, and Greg Moore made landing the Megabar look so easy, that my secret was out! I'm not a great pilot, the airplane is just that easy to fly!

See y'all in Waco, and thanks for the Trophy guys.

Sean
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Doc Jones

Just read about your daughter, told you so!!!! Use your winnings to pay for any damage to wife's car. Will miss you at Waco!

Doc Jones
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Vacman

Thanks Doc, but no damage, no harm done. Just another one of those lessons we parents must re-learn once in a while.
Larry