Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F16 - Trying to find the most accurate

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F16 - Trying to find the most accurate

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 PM
RedMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F16 - Trying to find the most accurate

So how does the Skymaster 1/6 F-16 stack up? What is its deficientcies? It looks good, but, I am curious if this would be a major competition scale contestant?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the iisues I have noticed on the Aviation Design F-16.
1) the base of the vertical dorsal fin has a wierd point to it. It seems too fat and then tapers in to a very short abrupt point where it sit on the fuselage.
2) the nose radome is a bit fat on the sides and does not present well with the correct lines of the front fuselage.
3) the flaperons do not extend all the way to the fuselage. This is pretty common on most kits on the market.
4) the aft strake area just behind the trailing edge of the flaperons is too fat and then rolls back down pretty quick.
5) exposed linkages all around.
6) uses a standard semi symetrical airfoil which just doesn't give the right profile when viewing the fuselage from the side.

The AD F-16 is the best flying F-16 out there out of all the ones I have had my hands on over the years.

As for the Avonds here are a few of the items I have noticed.
1) the gun fairing seems too big, like the aircraft has a 30 mm gun instead of the 20 mm.
2) the flaperons do not extend all the way to the fuselage. As mentioned above, this is a pretty common error.
3) the intake bulge to accomodate the nose gear really bugs me.
4) scale pylons have some minor issues I believe in their outline. They may be correct, but the USAF hasn't used the pylons in over 20 years, they all use the newer versions and the older "A" model pylons may be correct. Just been a long time since I have seen any of these.
5) uses a standard semi symetrical airfoil which just doesn't give the right profile when viewing the fuselage from the side.
6) exposed linckages all around.

Have not seen one last very long in flight. Both of htem lost their wings in the early flights, but I do know Phillip fixed this problem. I just haven't seen one fly with the newer mods so I cannot comment on the flight quality. Based upon his F-15, my guess is it would be a great flyer as well, he normally hits this one perfect in his designs.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

The wing problem is solved. PA didnt set back and let his owners lose their airplanes to a known problem. He placed an AD (airworthiness directive) on his website and sent every owner an update kit to reinforce the main former area that was the weak point. All new kits have a revised main former. The revised wing/former design appears to be solid. Mine has 30+ flights that are very aggressive. It weighs 22lb 9oz with a full UAT and with the PST 1300R is a rocket. Takeoff to vertical and climb 500+ feet. After one or two laps the vertical is unlimited. Landings are at a crawl. Of all the F16s I have see fly this one is absolutely the best. I also have one of his new AFR F-15s and it is a real beauty. Test flight is complete and paint barn is next.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
John Redman

I was pretty sure he had taken care of it. He routinely puts out some very, very nice stuff. Either one, the Avonds or the AD will suit your fancy unless you are looing for towards serious scale competition. They both are winners.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

John,
The AD F-16 does not have exposed linkages. Tailerons and rudder that is.
V..
Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 PM
RedMike

What about the Skymaster 1/6 F-16? What are the errors regarding scale of this airframe?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Reverend Russ

I have a Tamjet composite F-16 and I have flown this model with a P-60, P-70, P-120, P-120SE and a Titan SE. This jet flies great with any one of these turbines. You can get a custom painted one for a few dollars more and they look great! This model flies so well and has excellent slow flight characteristics. No matter what you do, this jet will not tip stall!

www.tamjets.com

Russ
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 AM
John Redman

Hey Vinnie,

Thanks for the clarification on the linkages. I thought they both had them hanging out.