Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: To Gyro or not to Gyro?

yep, smooth as th real thing..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any vendors in North America for these units?
    RC Hobby..... ($100.00 foamie = toy, $20,000.00 jet = toy)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe I'm thinking out loud here, but why not skip the gyro and simply learn how to fly? That pesky little flippy stick on the left side of the transmitter that makes the rudders and nose wheel move really do work together...if you know how to use them.

Just a thought...

Jetcat USA and the SPT-10 Rule!
    Allied Scale Squadron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i fly my jets withput gyros don't need them they are just added weight..just some expo and slight touch will do wonders..fair enough some types of planes might need one but it is amazing what setting up a plane if you take time to do it makes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: felker14

Any vendors in North America for these units?

I import these from Germany. Placing another order next week.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and it is girly..ha ha...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

girly shmirly... you guys have an ego problem

ORIGINAL: davo580

and it is girly..ha ha...
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't use gyros... yet. I haven't found the need yet, but if I have a plane that needs tamed in the wind or on the ground I would use one. Knowing how to fly has nothing to do with it. You just haven't flown any planes that need it. There's nothing scale about a plane wagging it's tail in the wind. And no, you can't correct for it. Full scale jets have yaw dampeners too. All the heli guys are girly too
    Mark P
    An Expert has made every mistake - A Master has made every mistake twice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

I don't use gyros... yet. I haven't found the need yet, but if I have a plane that needs tamed in the wind or on the ground I would use one. Knowing how to fly has nothing to do with it. You just haven't flown any planes that need it. There's nothing scale about a plane wagging it's tail in the wind. And no, you can't correct for it. Full scale jets have yaw dampeners too. All the heli guys are girly too
    No your correct Iam yet to fly a jet that requires one. So then which planes do you suggest need a gyro to fly then, just curious....

Of course heli fliers are 'girly' that goes without saying

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JET FX

No your correct Iam yet to fly a jet that requires one. So then which planes do you suggest need a gyro to fly then, just curious....

Of course heli fliers are 'girly' that goes without saying
    The planes don't need gyros to fly them. They need gyros to keep them rock solid. As I said I haven't found the need yet so I wouldn't know until I flew one. But if I was in competition and gyros were allowed, I would be at a disadvantage not using them. No one judges my wings or tail wagging in 15 mph winds so I'm not woried about it.
    Mark P
    An Expert has made every mistake - A Master has made every mistake twice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jgwright

JeanLuc

If you look at this video you can see my Swallow flying with gyro on ailerons. The only time that there is any waggling of the wings is when Dave was trying to free the nose leg for landing. The rest of the time it is smooth as silk. ..........................

Jgwright
    The Swallow is in my opinion a nice plane May I ask where you got the kit or planes for it ? I have tried to find planes for it but so far no luck.

Sorry for off-topic.

brg Gandalv
    Truth is, there is no Best - just different

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gyro or not ?

When I started flying helis way back, there were those that said you must learn to fly your heli without gyro --> that way you become a better pilot.

Not so surten that that statement is valid today. Not a helipilot today that would dream of flying without a headlock-gyro. And flying has become much more advanced as a benefit of the gyro.

So if it help groundhandeling and stability in air, use them [8D]

not best english, but hope you get it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly my Skymaster F-16 yesterday.Before landing,I heard some"poppping" sound but I am not sure what is happen.When landing,I don't feel anything strange and she fly smoothly as before.However,after landing,you can find the rudder has pull out due to one hinger broken!! I installed the Gyro for my F-16 tailon (Futaba GYA 352 Bi-axial Gyro) due to fly more scale and smoothly.I believe the Gyro save my F-16!I heard that the Gyro save another 1/6 F-16 even its whole fin lost months ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57939.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	776790  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to hear that your F-16 is safe and sound and looking closely on the picture you can actually see the rudder is brooken off in the top hinge. It also seems that the elevons are working "hard" to stabilize the plane --> right half is pointing up and left is pointing down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i have not seen a plane here yet that needs a gyro.. sound like some pilots need to go back to school ... lol... or need glasses ...lol...when you have sex with your missus do you grab her nipples and reef them ... guess not so don't do it with the gimbles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're just saying that to sound like a tough "crockodylle Dundie" type... too much testosterone [>:]

Down under it could well still be politically correct; not HERE! (and we're NOT sissies either)

i have not seen a plane here yet that needs a gyro.. sound like some pilots need to go back to school ... lol... or need glasses ...lol...when you have sex with your missus do you grab her nipples and reef them ... guess not so don't do it with the gimbles
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vasek

You're just saying that to sound like a tough "crockodylle Dundie" type... too much testosterone [>:]

Down under it could well still be politically correct; not HERE! (and we're NOT sissies either)

Crock Dundee eh... you call that a gyro, Ill show you a REAL gyro!
    What you mean politically correct? mate are you talking about in Qubec or Canada

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gandalv

The Swallow started as a Mick Reeves Venom and I cut the rear off and grafted the correct angle tail on with a fin and reformed the wing roots to match the new wings I made. It was described in RCJI magazine, it is one of the nicest flying planes I have owned.

John
    John Wright

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what does "....reef them...." means.

Thats not an english word I am familiar with [:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gandaly, reef is Australian slang for pull hard.

when you have sex with your missus do you grab her nipples and reef them ... guess not so don't do it with the gimbles
    I was teaching a beginner who was very rough with the sticks so I told him to treat them gently like a woman's nipples.

The guy flying next to us then did a low pass with the stick between his teeth making growling sounds - you had to be there. - John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a gyro for this aircraft and it helps alot with dutch roll. Expo of 30% in the air and 60% for take off and landing. Its ok without it in smoth air but any yaw generated but shifting winds really start the dutch roll.

[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=RvsFI0gOJZo[/link]

Jim
    www.aerorcmodels.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57162.jpg 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	776832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq49620.jpg 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	776833  
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

aha, now I understand what reef is. Thanks

But then i would have to say: No Pain, No Gain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to hear from you John,

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow dave, this is interesteing coming from a pilot who flies a ARF Boomerang!!! the easiest jet in the world to fly!!! I would hope that you didn't need a gyro , however i do remember having to land your plane for you cause you couldn't..............

Mate i sudguest you keep your comments like that to yourself when you have very experience model jet pilots who fly some of the hardest to fly aircraft in the world in this thread , and im not talking about me incase you think im being cocky. When you get past your boomerang that can land slower then a 40 size trainer and flies faster then the takeoff speed of my falcon and has a wing loading higher then a sport pattern plane ill start to listen...

As for a well set up model .... i fairly remember that you have massive thrust issues with a model that pitches violently on power application... mayby a bit of thrust re-alignment might be needed. after all , A well set up plane makes all the differnce remember did you replace that stripped gear servo yet????

Happy Landings everyone!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the comment on this thread are absolute hogwash, sorry but its true, davo058 wins the prize, hands down ! !

Swept wing jets almost ALWAYS have an interraction between directional and lateral stability, in real jets this can lead to serious, often divergent, dutch rolling unless a yaw damper is engaged, some use two or even three dampers. (VC10) Its the very nature of swept wings and the greater the sweep the greater the effect (in general)

In smooth air MOST jets are super smooth, early Bobcats with gear extended an exception, easily fixed with a rudder gyro. In any turbulence, rough air, any yaw oscillation can rapidly lead to roll oscillations and on it goes. Easy fix is to add a gyro on the yaw axis (makes the take-off and landing rolls straighter, too) and even further smoothness is added by a gyro on the roll axis as shown by Jeremy Macmillan flying his Hunter at Cottesmore which was silky smooth even in the turbulence. It looked exactly like a REAL Hunter , absolutely solid.

Anyone who thinks they can smooth out any yaw/roll coupling in any even the mildest of turbulence by the use of expo, smoother control movements etc., is living in a fantasy world. ! Most of my jets have a yaw damper, inc nosewheel steering, and are now being further enhanced by a roll damper too, my Bobcats are now as smooth in rough air as they are in smooth. (Futaba GYA351 dual channel gyros)

If you arent sure about gyros, try fitting one to YOUR model and seeing the efffect, different aircraft react in differnt ways, but ALL will be smoother to a greater or lesser degree. Dependswhat you are trying to achieve.

Regards, David Gladwin.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast