Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Setting up Canards and ailerons on a rafale?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Setting up Canards and ailerons on a rafale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Mart (Ham)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up Canards and ailerons on a rafale?

Hi Guys,
My latest project is a fei bao rafale, but this is my first model with canards, Do you just use the canards as an elevator and ailerons as normal, or is there some mixing involved.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:15 AM
HenryRG

Default RE: Setting up Canards and ailerons on a rafale?

Mart1

I do not know about the Raphael but on the Eurosport and Super Reaper the best procedure is:-

1. Set the main Delta to Elevon mode.

2. Set the Canard as a slave to the elevator. This can be switchable and have variable offset with Futaba which you can trim in flight, but I do know about JR.

Deltas are very efficient at take off and main flight but smooth landings as opposed to Kangaroo arrivals are the problem.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Got an Euro. As mentioned, it's slaved to the elevator. However I do use different 'center' for takeoff/land and flying (mix turn on/off with retract switch). This allows higher nose up attitude for landing.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am also building the Fei Bao Rafale and understood that canard should be slaved to elevator channel permanently. Would also appreciate if various setups could enhance flight caracteristics especially for landing on short strips.

Thanks. Dany
Old 07-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Mart (Ham)

So let me get this right, set the delta to elevons and add canards as slave to elevator, but some fly with just the elevons and use the canards for landing only, and others use the canards mixed with elevator.[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
jetjohn

Mart 1,
Look up (Xtreme Jets Rafale Maiden Video) ( Mdurand ) on RCU. Page 3 video.At end of flight after landing at end of video you will see canards operating with elevons.
Hope this helps.
Use Rafale in choose under aircraft. Lots of info available.
Regards,
John C
Old 07-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Mart (Ham)

Thanx John.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: Mart1

So let me get this right, set the delta to elevons and add canards as slave to elevator, but some fly with just the elevons and use the canards for landing only, and others use the canards mixed with elevator.[sm=71_71.gif]
Just a clarification: I fly with the canards active, but use different 'centers' between flying and landing modes.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:37 AM
extra 300

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: Mart1

Just a clarification: I fly with the canards active, but use different 'centers' between flying and landing modes.
Edgar,

Can you please provide figures for your settings for take off/landing and during flight. Appreciate also knowing how did you program different centers on your radio (Futaba JR or other brand?).
Tjhanks. Dany
Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: extra 300
Edgar,
Can you please provide figures for your settings for take off/landing and during flight. Appreciate also knowing how did you program different centers on your radio (Futaba JR or other brand?).
Tjhanks. Dany
Hi Dany,
I use the same travel recommended in the manual for the canards.

I added an 'offset' mix to the canards channel of 2% in the 'up' direction when the landing gear switch is in the gear down position. This makes easier to raise the plane nose for landing.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:01 AM
extra 300

Edgar,
Thanks for your clarification. Please note that i do not have he manual you are referring to (is it the Tam manual?), therefore would appreciate if you can provide me with mixing rate for inflight setting. On the other hand presume the offset setup will also be active during take off view gear would be in down position i.e. offset mix activated.

Thanks for your clarifications.
Best regards.
Dany
Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Edgar Perez

Dany,

Sorry, but not thinking straight led my to mix my Eurosport with your Rafale[]

I don't have a rafale. However don't see why not similar approach to canard won't work.

My apologies,
Edgar
Old 07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
extra 300

Edgar,

no problem. I also have a C arf New Eurosport in the box. I could use any advise/experience in this respect.
Thanks. Dany
Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
rcpilot103

Is anybody use Futaba 7c and Canards?, how can I configure to use cananrds with elevons please, I have a Eurofighter and I would like to mix the cannards to use only wit gears are down,  thank you
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: rduboc

Is anybody use Futaba 7c and Canards?, how can I configure to use cananrds with elevons please, I have a Eurofighter and I would like to mix the cannards to use only wit gears are down, thank you
Don't have the 7c, but you should be able to create a mix from the elevator function (master) to the canard channel (slave). Select the gear switch as the mix ON switch.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM
number27

Edgar,
So you make another program mix (I have Futaba 14mz) Gear Master Canard Slave and make an offset setting of 2%. What equates the 2% is that on the Offset A or B if Futaba and 2% = 10, 20 or 30 etc. Any help appreciated.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: number27

Edgar,
So you make another program mix (I have Futaba 14mz) Gear Master Canard Slave and make an offset setting of 2%. What equates the 2% is that on the Offset A or B if Futaba and 2% = 10, 20 or 30 etc. Any help appreciated.
Yes. I add an offset mix in order to lift the nose for the landing. Therefore I used two mixes; one simple one for the link with the elevator function, and an offset one for the extra nose lift during landing and takeoff. You will need to experiment with the offset value, but can start with approx 15 degrees canard movement. Remember if for lifting the nose so the canard moves inverse from the elevator (don't remember if offset A/B)

Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have flown Eurosports for years. The canards are used most of the time. I have them on a switch so that I can switch them off for fast low passes, as it is less twitchy like this. For take off I have them up about 5 degrees to help rotation. I do not use a different centre for landing but if you fly in a tight space then it would be a good idea, as you can settle into a higher alpha, and therefore slower approach.
Remeber, canards move in the opposite direction to your elevator, so up elevator means canard TE down.

John
Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have 3 Rafales and 2 eurofiders the setup is not the same the rafale canards have much more movement than eurofiders and I using the mix it's a elevator and flaps on aux 1 spectrum for landing about 1cm up for landing and 4mm down elevators in delta mode .