RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-18 take over

Old 07-08-2007, 02:19 AM
JohnMac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default F-18 take over

Hi guys,
I like F18's and at the moment they seem to be taking over my world.[8D]
I am looking for some help please. I am currently building a SM F18E Super Hornet that I bought a couple of years ago. Other projects have prevented seeing the light of day until now. I have also agreed to buy a SM F-18C Hornet from a friend in the club that has already flown, is fitted out for the same engine (Merlin) as I will use in the Super, and it is a really good deal. I think it scared him to death
What I am looking for is information sources both for scale detailing and for the colour schemes.
The F18 is in the Blue Angels which (sorry guys) I do not like. I have decided to repaint it as a CF-188 20 year scheme. Leading Edge models used to supply decal sheets for plastic kits in this scheme http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...844/LE4844.htm
Sadly this seems to be no longer available. Anyone know where I can get details of this scheme please?
As for the SH I have no ideas about a scheme at the moment. Anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks in advance,

John
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 AM
JET FX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: F-18 take over

Gday John, You 'ideally' will need to source the Leading Edge decal set as it comes with some great detailed information on accurate size and positioning of all the markings, this will make the job easier. I used these decals to work off for my SM bug.... I would be surprised if you could not source these from somewhere. Let me know if you have no luck and I will dig through my documentation and see what I can assist you with... check my gallery for a pic of my 20th anniversary CAF bug.

Cheers- Marty
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 AM
JohnMac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G'day Marty,
That's the baby![8D] That looks like a really nice job. I also like the Australian scheme in the next slide. Is this a scale scheme? I haven't seen it before. I see you have a working airbrake on this model and I wondered how effective it is?
I will send another email to LEM and see what they can do for me.
Best Regards,

John
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
JET FX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John, Its gotta be one of the nicest bug schemes out there for sure, the Canadians are masters at designing the sexiest bug schemes by far...
I would suggest trying to source the LE CAF hornet decal set from one of your larger plastic kit hobby stores in the U.K.but if still you have no luck contacting LE, like I mentioned I can help you out with most of the art work I used for my one. I enlarged the LE decal artwork to 1/8 scale and printed out onto water slaide decal paper, even the tail artwork came out quite well.... I painted the larger areas and used the LE reference paint guide enlarged from 1/48 to position paint masks. The Aussie scheme is scale and also the RAAF's 20th anniversary scheme, just do a web search on RAAF 20th anniverary F/A 18 for pics. That scheme was also created using the LE decal set in same method for reference.

Cheers- Marty
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 AM
JohnMac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Marty,
Well I have emailed LEM twice now and I haven't even had a reply, so no luck there I guess. I had already tried Ballards and one or two other of the big plastic kit companies in the UK and none of them carried LEM products at all.
If you have some artwork that I could use I would be really grateful for it and of course I will cover any costs that you have in getting it to me.
Thanks in advance,

John
Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 AM
JET FX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gday John, no worries I will see what I have on file that maybe be of use to you, If you would like to PM me your email address I will send you off some art work that I had scanned from the original LE decal set I used...

Cheers- Marty