Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is anyone 100%, positively sold on XPS in jets? Must go 2.4.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is anyone 100%, positively sold on XPS in jets? Must go 2.4.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is anyone 100%, positively sold on XPS in jets? Must go 2.4.

I have had problems with 72mhz at my home field, the Valley Forge Signal Seekers in historic Valley Forge, Pa. Located in the corner of a large and beautiful national park, anyone could be flying nearby on 72mhz. The park is so big they may have no knowledge of our AMA field. I have had two instances of interference. One downed my H9 33% CAP and another caused more serious damage to my Hotspot. I am not alone nor is it dumb thumbs, a stall or a weak or undercharged battery pack. I personally witnessed a fellow club member lose control in the same spot in a similar way. Just like me, he had a perfect range and voltage check after the incident. As crazy as it seems I even suspect the posibillity of intentional interference.

I have no choice but to go with 2.4. I have a DX7 but don't care for the lack of sliders. I bought an XPS module and reciever. The first ones, with the new removable antenna, performed strangely during my initial range test. This may have been entirely due to my improper range test procedure (reciever on the ground, etc.) I sent everything back for exchange and the new module and RX range tested perfectly in my H9 33% CAP but I have been hesitant to fly it.

My question, plain and simple; has anyone been flying XPS in their jet with absolutely no problems, no issues? Completely and totally satisfied? Completely confident in the system?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is anyone 100%, positively sold on XPS in jets? Must go 2.4.

Not sure about the XPS... but the Specktrum DSM 2 AR-9000 conversion for my JR10X works great, side sliders and all. The only problem is that the receiver is 9 channels not 10. All of the features of the 10X work with the 9 channel Spectrum. Range is great... with the one supplied remotely mounted receiver. The neat thing about the Specktrum system is you can mount the remote receiver(s) with extension cables virtually as long as you want them!! Yep you can have two remotely mounted receivers for a total of 4 operating all the time.

With a new build you could build in the cables and mount a remote receiver(s) in each wing tip.... how could any signal ever be blocked with that setup... two main receivers in the fuse, and one in each wing tip??
Lee
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM
DavidQ
My Feedback: (12)

I am thinking about convert my 10X to 2.4. Question is I am using 4800 mA Duralite battery, will Fromeco adjustable 9 Amp regulator OK for this or will it be fine with Duralite 7.5 Amp? I've heard of some instances when regulator was not able to keep up with the voltalte and amp!
David
Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Edgar Perez

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a recent thread here about this... Some guys were using the XPS with no issues.. do a search
Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DavidQ

I am thinking about convert my 10X to 2.4. Question is I am using 4800 mA Duralite battery, will Fromeco adjustable 9 Amp regulator OK for this or will it be fine with Duralite 7.5 Amp? I heard of some instances when regulator was not able to keep up with the voltalte and amp!
David
David,
The Spektrum system reccomends no regulators. I posted a thread here about my installation and experiences. I dont want to hi-jack a thread asking about XPS so if you are interested take a look.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6060449/tm.htm

FWIW, I have seen multiple XPS users go into lockout and either lose their jets or barley get them back and switch to Spektrum.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
DavidQ

Dave,
I've read your post. I would like to keep using Li-Ion if it is possible.
David
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using Li Ion with a duralite Regulator into the Spreak Spek 2.4 JR 10x. I'm at around 30 to 40 flights, and anyone who saw my jet fly at Shreveport Jet Rally this weekend will tell you for sure that I was not soft on pulling the sticks, and was moving at AMA limits all weekend long. Burned a total of around 15 gallons or so over two days. Jet also won "Best Sport Jet".

FWIW.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

I had what I believe to be a low voltage problem causing my Spektrum module to reboot itself inflight thus causing a flameout condition in the ECU. I had the duralite regulator witha 4800mah li-ion pack powering the reciever. At the time I was pushing the euro pretty hard and believe that either the regulator overheated or the battery just couldnt keep up.... luckily I was able to save the plane. I have since installed two TBM 5200mah packs and the smart-fly super regulator. I recently flew this setup for the last 3 flights and again pushed the euro hard with no faults at all... great times!!.

Hope this helps

Luis

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
G-ROOKIE
My Feedback: (51)

Well i have over twenty three on one and ten flights on the other with out any problems, using the Futaba 9C XPS.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Caveat on Luis' comments, his airplane was not setup with [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=278]THIS[/link] and once I did go through the amp meter, we found he had a mechanical binding of 2.2 amps.

We'll never be certain if that was the issue, because once he installed a beefier regulator, he has not had an issue with dual packs etc.

However, a properly setup jet will work fine on a duralite regulator if your are at 7 digital servos or less for sure as evidenced by my many trouble free flights on my Rookie and Megabar on 2.4.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

The HobbyZone/Spectrum Euro is flown on a 5 year old JR 10X 2.4 Module and AR9000 RX. I am running two 4.8volt 1950ma NiMH packs. After 5th flight I am at 50% discharge. I charge after 5th flight. I flew all weekend at KY Jets. Flawless link recorded by the flight logger.....

Forever more 2.4!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72733.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	719853  
Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 AM
SinCityJets

I have well over 100 flights with a Spektrum system, using Lipo's and the Smart-Fly regulator / Power Expander system. Not one problem that wasn't caused by me.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using the XPS system in my jets & have no problems at all after about 50 flights.
The controls move much more smoothly using 2.4Ghz.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Dustflyer

G-Rookie and Jascat,

Thank you for replying to my specific question.

Would like to hear from anyone who is using XPS in jets with no problems and is satisfied with the system.

Most of what I have read so far seems positive.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using XPS also in my large scale EDF(electric Byron fan jets). Nothing but good results.
Bob
Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

I have two Jet flights is all,on my PST Panther with Lewis Patton at the controls, so far nothing but solid, Lewis said "Perfect"
Old 07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Pyolet

I am 100% sold on XPS in my JR tx with two jets on XPS 10 channel receivers. Will never, ever fly a jet with PPM or PCM again.

Woody.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: Dustflyer

G-Rookie and Jascat,

Thank you for replying to my specific question.

Would like to hear from anyone who is using XPS in jets with no problems and is satisfied with the system.

Most of what I have read so far seems positive.

Here is a good link for you that addresses your "specific question".

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5768323/anchors_5768323/mpage_1/key_xps/anchor/tm.htm#5768323]XPS turned ugly[/link]
Old 07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Ron Stahl

I have not seen a happy customer so far in our area (Baltimore MD)with a XPS in a jet model. I do fly JR with the Spektrum module system and have as of tonight over 250 rock solid flights in 7 differant planes from park fliers to turbines. I will not say they are bad systems but I'll put my money on Spektrum
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

I have not seen a happy customer so far in our area (Baltimore MD)with a XPS in a jet model. I do fly JR with the Spektrum module system and have as of tonight over 250 rock solid flights in 7 differant planes from park fliers to turbines. I will not say they are bad systems but I'll put my money on Spektrum
Ron,
Have you seen any unhappy XPS customers? If so, why?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Ron,
Have you seen any unhappy XPS customers? If so, why?
Here's one; (not from Baltimore, MD; not too far away).

My experience is well documented here; and maybe my issue was just a simple Tx module antenna orientation problem, but I lost confidence in the system after several lockouts and the company's oversight of a CRITICAL piece of information in the manual or website that apparently was the difference between having success or not. I do not know if they have included that information now, but I was disappointed when it didn't work for me to my satisfaction.

I assume if Ron hasn't seen a happy customer, then they must be unhappy. Ron, do you know why?

George
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I assume if Ron hasn't seen a happy customer, then they must be unhappy.
I haven't seen a happy alien from Mars so I assume Martians are unhappy.

I would like some details, that's all.
Guys have crashed with Spektrum, XPS, PCM, PPM, and control line. Most of it's in the setup but if it's unreliable I want to know from as many examples as possible.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

It is obvious from Mr. Stahl's profile, on which he lists his favorite radio as "JR anything", that one might want to take his biased comment with a grain of salt.

I have flown very many flights with several different models with XPS. I also have personally witnessed quite a few jets flown with both JR and Futaba radios at different Jet rallies and EVERY jet pilot I have spoken with had nothing but raves about XPS.

JR radios are capable of some things that a Futaba radio can't do and Futaba radios do some things a JR cannot do. XPS 2.4 ghz works with both brands and many others also. Why bash another system just because you prefer your own brand?

To sum it up, I have either seen or spoken to XPS "happy customers" in California, Nevada, Hawaii, Washington, Kentucky, Arizona, and (if I count talking in the mirror) Alaska.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

I believe Bruce Hanson is in the Maryland area, and he is flying our system in jets and turboprop'd planes with no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.