Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Behotec J66HP HELP!!!!!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Behotec J66HP HELP!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Behotec J66HP HELP!!!!!!

Guys,

I just got my engine back from service and I went to test run it tonight and it will not start! It over temps every time. I have been very careful on the starting gas and regulate it so I don't put to much gas to it.

I am in a bad situation as I was planning to go to the Rocky Mountain Thunder Jet rally, and If I can't get this engine running I am out.

If anyone can help me it would be great. I have contacted the dealer as I think the EGT probe is the problem, I am trying to get one here before next Tuesday. Also, if someone can advise me as to how to remove the front cowl so I can replace the probe would be most helpful.

I am willing to try anything.

Some details:

Fuel: Kerosene
Start Gas 70% butane 30% propane blend
Oil : Exxon 2389 mixed @ 5% (1 quart to 5 gallons)

Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Heer

Default RE: Behotec J66HP HELP!!!!!!

...which ECU ?
Fritz Switzerland
Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 AM
InboundLZ

ProJet V5.0 Hornet
Old 07-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Heer

Well known this problem !
Solution: take menu 41 in GSU and reduce pump start voltage down to 0,20 V.
If temp during start calls overtemp pls. reduce again.
BRG Fritz
Old 07-27-2007, 02:21 AM
InboundLZ

OK, more info. I just powered up my ECU and the temp showed -7 degrees C. That can't be right as it is nearly 30 degrees C in my shop right now. So I reset the temp to 30 degrees C....

So, I go to the test menu, #5 temp sensor.... and it gives two readings:

AMB:29C 457
TMP:29C 104

What is that telling me? The book says TMP: detected ambient temperature and AMB: Compensated ambient temperture. So, what are the 457 and 104 numbers?

If those are temps in C 104C = 219F and 457C = 854F , Seems high for ambient numbers????

Also, just so you know The ECU is version 5.2.

I am beginning to think it is a temp sensor.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Sonicwings

Hi F18,

I have recently got my Behotec J66, Not sure yet on the posts you have done other than to remove the front engine cowl--- it just slips off--- get someone to hold the engine and pull--- mine has a over loose cowl and im getting it replaced--- i did run my moter twice a couple weeks ago for the first time, start up was instant and trouble free--- What model do you run it in ????? Jay.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 AM
djindivik

It sounds like a faulty temperature sensor to me. The front cowl should just pull off, but may need a bit of gentle persuasion, but be careful not to distort it. You do know that the first run in a new installation, or subsequent runs after changing anything, MUST be a calibration run, Menu 42. Otherwise you will no get the full 120k rpm. Good luck.

Ray
Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 AM
digitech

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102

OK, more info. I just powered up my ECU and the temp showed -7 degrees C. That can't be right as it is nearly 30 degrees C in my shop right now. So I reset the temp to 30 degrees C....

So, I go to the test menu, #5 temp sensor.... and it gives two readings:

What is that telling me? The book says TMP: detected ambient temperature and AMB: Compensated ambient temperture. So, what are the 457 and 104 numbers?

If those are temps in C 104C = 219F and 457C = 854F , Seems high for ambient numbers????

Also, just so you know The ECU is version 5.2.

I am beginning to think it is a temp sensor.
you need to calibrate the temp sensor
it is also in the menu -7 is a typical day for us europe guys to stay in house.
the gas would start freezing

the amb and tmp
sound ok to me (29)
so let it calibrate to those...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 AM
InboundLZ

Thanks to all who have replied.

OK, to answer some questions and to ask a few...

Jay...the 66 is installed in a Baby Boomerange

Yes, I am aware of the calibration run requirement, but the engine actually has to run before the system can complete the calibration. Once I get it started, I will do calibration.

The temp sensor has been set for current OAT in menu option 72. I did that once before and after a hour away from the motor when I boot the system up it read -7, so I set it again AFTER I did a complete system reset. I just checked it now and it seems to be reading ok ( I set it for 30C and it now reads 28C).

OK, can someone tell me exactly what these numbers mean????

I know that the first number ( 29C) is the actual temperture of the engine ( this morning it reads 28C, must have cooled a little on the overnight) but I do not know what 457 & 104 indicate????? The move in relation to the first number I.E. when 29 moves up so does 104....

Anyway, it sounds to me that a EGT probe is the fix. I have sent requests to Altecare but Peter may be out for holiday, is there another source that can get me one to Las Vegas, Nevada, USA before the end of next tuesday?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
jetwash
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Dave,

If you cant get your Behotec to work, Ill lend you my jetcat P-80 so you can attend that jet meet. Give me a holler if you need it.

Ken
Old 07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Hello Dave
I am cpying my email response to you:

Can you make sure the following are checked:
1- Propane line and fuel line not mixed
2- Pump start voltage is what your test run sheet indicates, menu 41, or perform the following test whereby you disconnect the fuel line, go to the test menu,
run the pump. It is set to 1V in the test menu, reduce the V until the fuel
stops flowing. Return the value to 1V.Make sure the fuel line dumps in a
container. Go to menu 41 and change the startup voltage to the value observed
plus 0.05V or plus 0.1V. It could be that too much fuel is flowing on startup.
3- Perform a calibration run menu 42
4- Calibrate temp probe menu 73
5- If all else fails do a system reset menu 99
6- Check that the temp. probe was not dislodged during shipping. Slide cowl and see,

Regards
Peter
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 AM
InboundLZ

Guys,

I want to go on record and say that the service from Peter at AltecareRC is above outstanding. I have had some minor issues with my Behotec and he has been right there to help and make things right. He is a very easy guy to work with and does his level best to make the customer happy. He has earned my respect and my business. Next time you are looking to make a purchase, I would give AltecareRC a try...you will be pleased with the outcome!

Ken, that is a very generous offer, I will PM you soon on some details! Thank you!

Now then, I followed Peter's advice (Heer's suggestion too!) and checked everything again. I did a system reset, the temp probe calibration, and I set the pump start voltage to .3V.

Made a start attempt and.....Success!!!! She started and I closely monitored the temp and it never went about about 650C!!!! I shut it down and restarted it again in calibration mode (menu 42) and she started a second time and calibrated perfectly!

So...so far so good....however I am not convinced that I have a problem with the EGT probe. The reason I say this is the reading of -7 it registered last night. I have re-calibrated it and now it seems to be behaving properly but I am suspect. In your opinion, can the probe be intermittent?

Thanks to everyone for their help and a special thanks to Peter for taking every action to assure that I have a good running engine!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:15 PM
tommythexcwarrior

Hey there, I had a similar problem on my j66hp, I bought a new thermocouple for it and its works fine now. however the RPM sensor is playing up on me now. It reads 2.5 rpm when the turbine is not even spinning and when i wind it up it reads 3-5 RPM when its rotating over 1000 rpm. Has any one else had this problem?
Cheers Tom.