Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Pete737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Right now I have my gear sequencing through a 3 position toggle (SE).

It's the onloy way I could get it to work. Is there anyway I can move this to SF, Or other 2 position?

Thanks, Peter
Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Pete737

Right now I have my gear sequencing through a 3 position toggle (SE).

It's the onloy way I could get it to work. Is there anyway I can move this to SF, Or other 2 position?

Thanks, Peter
What is the actual sequence and what are you using(# of valves).

Marty
Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Pete737

Marty, This is my first Futaba radio, I'll explain as best as I can.

I am using 2 mechanical valves, Operated by a servo each.

I basically assigned both servos to the same switch (SE: a 3 pos. toggle). Then, I reversed and slowed the servo operating the retracts.

I used the AFR function to alter the operating paths of both servos: Switch up is doors closed gear up. When I switch to the mid point both servos begin travel, since the gear servo is slowed substantially the doors open then after about 3 seconds the gear comes down.

From the switches mid-point, either moving it up or down initiates the opposite sequence, Except this time the door servo is slowed so the gear comes up then after about 3 sec the doors close.

It actually does work just fine, Im just worried about delegating any more attention than I absolutely need to operating the gear switch, As you know with 3 pos. toggles it is possible to inadvertently switch past the mid point and go to full down.

I would rather just have it on a 2 position, SF would be perfect. Especially for my first few flights.

Thanks, Peter
Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Hi peter,

Check out this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79..._1/key_/tm.htm

I strongly recommend using the offset mixing menu for this and a lot of other functions.

Marc
Old 12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
afterburner

Peter,
I used this ( http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-12fg-q1062.html) setup for my F-15 which is the same simple sequence you are looking for. It only took about ten minutes and just uses a two position switch setup.

Marty
Old 12-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Pete737

Thanks guys,

Marty, You link was not found....?

Peter
Old 12-21-2008, 03:05 PM
afterburner

Sorry Peter. Try this.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-12fg-q1062.html

Marty
Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry if I have missed information about it, I've only read 30 pages of this thread so far!

Any feedback on the 10 C radio as yet? I'm a JR sort of guy & would like to know about ease of programming, features & problems? My current radio is a 9X2. My way of thinking was the 9X was 90% of a 10X for 45% of the price & I'm thinking of the 10 C rather than the 12 or 14 for the same reason, buy on the sweet spot of value.

The FASST system seems to be the better mousetrap & I'm at the crossroads if I want to go 2.4.

The choice being convert my 9X2 or a new radio. - John.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Rather than looking at all the threads . I would like to get some questions answered. I have used 2 dualities and regulators plugged into to ports on the receiver for the last 6 years with great success on my BVM 100 / Bandit /P80 and Boomerang. I'm upgrading my 14mz to fast. Are power panels necessary ? Or if you have one item like a jomar that will not work just add a booster to fix the one channel . If the new receiver works all servos during setup should their be a concern after that ? Thanks Dan Avilla
Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding of the latest FASST flash is there is no balancer required.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ed I was talking about the need to use a buffer-amplifier on older equipment. My F100 has a jomar for the retract sequencer that is 7 years old. What is a balancer ? Thanks Dan
Old 12-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Sorry if I have missed information about it, I've only read 30 pages of this thread so far!

Any feedback on the 10 C radio as yet? I'm a JR sort of guy & would like to know about ease of programming, features & problems? My current radio is a 9X2. My way of thinking was the 9X was 90% of a 10X for 45% of the price & I'm thinking of the 10 C rather than the 12 or 14 for the same reason, buy on the sweet spot of value.

The FASST system seems to be the better mousetrap & I'm at the crossroads if I want to go 2.4.

The 10C is a b*tch to programme. You can get used to it, but it is not easy. Consider the 12FG or 12Z/14MZ or the JR12X. For the money, the 12FG is on its own. Tower hobbies has a special now. PM me and I can email you a special coupon for further discount.

If you convert your 9ch, it will be ok, but you are stuck with 9 ch and you have an ugly antenna wire at the back which can easily be broken...

The FASST link is excellent out there and the only cautions will be the heat issue and the low signal in the 6014...other than that Futaba is the way to go for me
Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Ehab

ORIGINAL: DAN AVILLA

Rather than looking at all the threads . I would like to get some questions answered. I have used 2 dualities and regulators plugged into to ports on the receiver for the last 6 years with great success on my BVM 100 / Bandit /P80 and Boomerang. I'm upgrading my 14mz to fast. Are power panels necessary ? Or if you have one item like a jomar that will not work just add a booster to fix the one channel . If the new receiver works all servos during setup should their be a concern after that ? Thanks Dan Avilla
You should have minimum to no problems. You may have the low signal issue, so an inline signal amp is the solution. Since you are in Caly, make sure you check operation on hot days on the ground. There is a potential of operating ok on the ground but as it gets hot, the 6014 low signal may not work, per Futaba advisoty....
Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

There is no comparison between the two, the JR 9X2 that I bought went back after finding out the restrictions in programming the different controls and non availability of assigning different functions to the side sliders, with the 12FG you can put what you like where you like, also for butterfly in Acro mode you don't need to use up any of the mix's on the 12FG, I use a aileron reflex to help the sink rate on the approuch, with the 12FG it can be slowly raised into place, rather than switched straight into max position, I have yet to find the limits of the 12FG and am very satisfied with it, incidently the 12FG is 14 channel, 12 proportional and 2 switched, I don't like Y leads so my Rookie uses 13 of the avialable channels without a battery conected.

Forgot to mention I have Spektrum as well and find the 9 channel to be a big restriction when you have flaps, retracts and steerable nose wheel, and once you get too Canards and Four way thrust vectoring it just does not come up too scratch.

Mike
Old 12-27-2008, 07:11 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ehab

ORIGINAL: DAN AVILLA

You should have minimum to no problems. You may have the low signal issue, so an inline signal amp is the solution. Since you are in Caly, make sure you check operation on hot days on the ground. There is a potential of operating ok on the ground but as it gets hot, the 6014 low signal may not work, per Futaba advisoty....
To make this quite clear to those that don't know, the 14 channel Futaba RX use a 3.7Volt signal too the servo's, some digital servo's will not work with this low voltage, I have been informed by most servo manufactures that if it works on the ground it will work in the air, Hitec told me that it would only be a problem on some of the older generation servo's.

Personnaly I don't use power panels, or battery savers or any of the other gimics that are offered for supposed redundancy, I use two switches (Fromeco Kodiac) and two batteries (A123's) and that is the total extent of my redundancy, in over 1000 flights on 2.4Ghz with everything from EDF's too Turbines, I have yet to have a problem with a radio system, except for the XPS that did not work from day one on my site, in fact in over 50 years of RC flying I have yet to have a problem with the installed radio system in the air, note the qualification in the air.

Mike

Mike

EDIT: sorry should have said 2.7volts and not 3.7volts, I was working from memory rather than checking my facts.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Ehab

I believe the signal voltage is 2.7 not 3.7v in the 6014. Also, if it works on the ground and "somehow" it gets hot later on (the 6014), the voltage refrences change and it may not work suddenly. This is per Futaba's advisory, a small paper that came in my 12FG had this note!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:39 PM
ace-RCU
My Feedback: (226)

This is from Futaba's Website,

Receiver Technical Information
I am having a problem trying to use my non-Futaba digital servos with the R6014FS receiver; I think my receiver is bad. Should I send it in?
Whereas many previous receivers offered a signal output of 3.0 Volts, the latest generation of IC's has been designed to operate at lower voltages in order to increase their operational speeds. The R6014FS receiver utilizes such an IC and, as such, the nominal output voltage of the R6014FS receiver is 2.7 Volts.

While this variance in the output voltage will not affect most equipment in use today, it has been brought to our attention that some manufacturer's products are not capable of operation with the lower voltage. That is, they will not operate below 3.0 volts. Some examples of what we have had reported thus far includes sequencers, cut-off valves, older servo designs and some recent non-Futaba digital servos.

Some battery back-up devices might have difficulties with the lower operational voltages as well, although they might not appear to initially. One such device functions perfectly on the ground and during a range check, yet when the operational temperature reaches 50° C (122° F), the device actually requires 2.8 Volts in order to function properly. As such, the servos will cease to operate properly.

Many of the manufacturers are updating or refining their products to ensure compatibility with the lower operational voltages. Should you have any questions about the operation of such peripheral items we strongly suggest that you contact the manufacturer directly.

If you have already purchased items which are not capable of operation below 3.0 Volts, we suggest that you either replace the item with an updated version or utilize a device to increase the voltage accordingly. There are a number of readily available devices that may be used to increase the voltage such as: ElectroDynamics' Buffer-Amplifier Interface, Duralite's PowerBox (manufactured within the last six months), EMcotec's DPSI products, etc.

Billy {ace-RCU}
Old 12-27-2008, 05:45 PM
FliteMetal

What is the upper voltage tolerance of the R6014FS receiver?

This is to say...is it tolerant of down stream use of either 4.8 or 6 volt in circuit batteries intended for the sole purpose of powering older digital or analog servos...?
Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Ehab

At this point, there has been no reported problem with the 6014 having a brown out using 4.8v batteries..
Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 PM
FliteMetal

Precisely my point in implying everyone should use down stream batteries to offset the receivers inadequaticies... : )
Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used a 4.8volt, 4500MA battery with my 6014 receiver in a Boomerang XL2 all throughout the 2008 flying season with no issues at all.

9 Futaba S3305 servos and one Futaba standard servo on the retract valve.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:09 AM
GrayUK

I always use 4.8 volts for the rx and servos, in all of my models.
I use a combination of JR, Futaba and Hitec servos and have NEVER had an issue with any. The only issue I had was with a very old cheapo servo (a ‘TEC’ I believe) but the problem was twitching when switching on.
Remember, 4.8 is nominal, most packs fully charged are over 6 volts, a 5 cell ‘6volt pack’ is over 7.5 volts fully charged.
I charge every flight (or maximum of 2 between charges) so I am always running at the higher end on the 4.8 volt pack.

Paul
Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 AM
GrayUK

Happy new year to you all.

Paul[8D]
Old 12-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Ehab

Happy new year to all in the US and across the pond...

I hope Futaba comes out with a 6114 with no heat issues and 3.0 volt signal.....[&:][&:]
Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 AM
GrayUK

I am getting reports fom the states about a 'gold dot' on the 14channel rx?? anyone know about it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.