Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

14mz and jets ??

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

14mz and jets ??

Old 08-15-2007, 01:20 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 14mz and jets ??

anyone using 'em? any helpful hints, do's and dont's? Antenna issues?

thx as always, Don.

p.s. I'm on U.S. freq's
Old 08-15-2007, 03:16 PM
mtnitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 14mz and jets ??

Best radio on the market that I know of. My sons & I have three of them and our friends have them. We fly prop planes, jets & turbine helicopters with no issues. To me Futaba 14mz is number one.
(Futaba-We are the difference)
Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
jseppanen

See a recent thread [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6236668/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

No issues with SimJet 3000 (about 200 flights - SM Hawk) or JetCat 120 (over 50 flights - CompArf Rookie II). I'm in Europe, so 35MHz. Whip antenna in both.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:30 PM
GrayUK

Lots of them in the UK on Jets no problems at all on 35mhz with whip aerial.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problems with my T14MZ in a jet
Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
jetguy34695
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the best radio I have ever owned it makes setting up a jet so easy and you can add a Futaba MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional Decoder 8-Channel to it to add an additional 7 proportional channels the 12 existing ones
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78039.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	742829  
Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Likai

ORIGINAL: jetguy34695

It is the best radio I have ever owned it makes setting up a jet so easy and you can add a Futaba MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional Decoder 8-Channel to it to add an additional 7 proportional channels the 12 existing ones
Yes, it is fantastic that you can use two MPDX-1's to expand channels from 14 to 28. But the best value for me is that you can set any channel and any trim function to any stick, trimer and knob what you like. I think that 14MZ is the most flexible Tx system in the market.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 PM
berthoud
My Feedback: (35)

We have two separate 14mz/turbine setups going and saw an improvement in ground range checks with the 5014 immediately. The selectable, wireless, frequency adjustment works great at large jet meets especially in models with a buried RX. With 14 channels, just plug a servo up, tell it what to do and you are off. Bye-bye matchbox...
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Kelly W

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That little gadget sure looks handy in a pinch for those other channel functions you're not heavily depending on.

Is there any way to sequence / delay the function of each through the Tx programming, effectively making your own custom gear door sequencer for example? Seems like a logical feature with so many channels of flexibility. (hopefully someone at Futaba reads this!)

Kelly
Old 08-16-2007, 05:52 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Kelly,

I'm not sure how the expander works but I'm using the standard RX as a gear and door sequencer . There were enough channels to go around to allow me to control 3 servos to actuate my gear doors all with individual adjustments . Very slick !

Marc
Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Likai

Yes, it is fantastic that you can use two MPDX-1's to expand channels from 14 to 28. But the best value for me is that you can set any channel and any trim function to any stick, trimer and knob what you like. I think that 14MZ is the most flexible Tx system in the market.
Do you realise that the Multiplex Profi 4000 could already do all that in 1996[>:]? However, the untimely death of it's designer has probably stopped Multiplex from now being again 10 years ahead of the competition. As for my next radio, since my Profi is now 11 years old, it will be the 2.4gig 14 MZ, when it eventually gets released.

Cheers

Springbok Flyer
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 AM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

ORIGINAL: Likai

Do you realise that the Multiplex Profi 4000 could already do all that in 1996[>:]? However, the untimely death of it's designer has probably stopped Multiplex from now being again 10 years ahead of the competition. As for my next radio, since my Profi is now 11 years old, it will be the 2.4gig 14 MZ, when it eventually gets released.

Cheers

Springbok Flyer
jjrrr boet - I was wondering who'd be the first to mention MPX!

MPX have also supplied the Multinaut (a channel expander) for years now but, I agree that it looks more and more like the P4000 is on it's way out!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 AM
rolsen12

I have been in R/C since 1958, It is the best radio I have ever owned.
One thing, the color screen is hard to see in the daylight
All I fly is jet's never had a problem.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok.. you wil have more chances to be successful with the 14MZ if the slower-and-less-prone-to-lockout-PCM is selected. However, you can´t do this if you have the original R5014DPS receiver, this can be done only with the newer R5114DPS rx.

Unfortunately this problem was found after some expensive crashes worldwide... However IMO there is another flaw in this gear wich make me decide to not use it anymore on any airplane . I was spared from a Jet crash on plain luck, and don´t want to push my chances with it again.

Enrique
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39738.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	743233  
Old 08-16-2007, 12:37 PM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Ok.. you wil have more chances to be successful with the 14MZ if the slower-and-less-prone-to-lockout-PCM is selected. However, you can´t do this if you have the original R5014DPS receiver, this can be done only with the newer R5114DPS rx.

Unfortunately this problem was found after some expensive crashes worldwide... However IMO there is another flaw in this gear wich make me decide to not use it anymore on any airplane . I was spared from a Jet crash on plain luck, and don´t want to push my chances with it again.

Enrique
what, plz is the other flaw?????????????
Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
GrayUK

I think we would all be interested to know what this 'flaw' is as there are hundreds if not thousands out there working perfectly
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM
erbroens

ORIGINAL: highhorse

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Enrique
what, plz is the other flaw?????????????
This radio depends on its operational system (Windows) to work, even when it is in non-programming mode.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 AM
jstok

No issues at all,i must have had one of the first sets in the uk,used in all types of model from
park flyer to Bobcat,Flash,L39 Savex,most problems i see are down to poor install issues,
all stuffed in with wires loose and no logical planing .[:'(]
Just use common sense keep rec away from pumps,esu and keep turbine related wires
away from servo wires etc and you will be fine.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 AM
ViperOneNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erbroens,

With all due respect but you are dead wrong. The T14MZ utilizes two sepperate processors, one running Windows CE (which is windows in name only) for programming features and the other one doing the actual control when transmitting i.e. not programming. Faillure of Windows does not hamper or disable the transmitter cicuits, i.e. when you are flying and windows decideds to lock up, your TX keeps working.

Cheers,

Viperone.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:19 AM
jseppanen

ORIGINAL: ViperOneNL

Erbroens,

With all due respect but you are dead wrong. The T14MZ utilizes two sepperate processors, one running Windows CE (which is windows in name only) for programming features and the other one doing the actual control when transmitting i.e. not programming. Faillure of Windows does not hamper or disable the transmitter cicuits, i.e. when you are flying and windows decideds to lock up, your TX keeps working.

Cheers,

Viperone.
That's what I thought! On the other hand never had an issue with 14MZ Win-CE. Been using it over two years now.

erbroens, enlighten us please!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
erbroens

No problem ViperOne, I respect your opinion too. In fact, I bought the 14MZ thinking too that the paralel processor would keep the plane flying in case of operational sistem failure, but what happened to me was exactly the opposite.

It is quite well documented in the "'14mz safety issue" thread here in RCU.. including a small video of the TX crashing and the Futaba service center note on what could happened on my radio.

About being wrong...well ,, I prefer to continue wrong if my airplanes (in particular my PPM Roo) continue to outlive the "wright" people jets...

Best regards, Enrique
Old 08-17-2007, 01:24 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Go for it ,
It's the best radio out there. I have one of the first 14mz's and have not had any problems with mine. I especially like the fact that every servo in my jet has it's own channel.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:38 AM
ViperOneNL

Erbroens,

Going to read the tread you pointed at. Been using the 14MZ now for 1.5 years without issues, but always open to "other" or "new" opinions.

OK read it, I now understand your less than enthusiasm for the T14MZ, but I cant help feeling that this could have happened with any TX with that difference that you dont get a message and it will just quit working. The additional message might give the impression that CE was the faulting party, but since futaba replace the complete mainboard it sounds more like a electronic component failure, which CE detected/or was hampered by during its normal operations.

Frankly I guess you got a lemon, and there will always be lemons with every equipment we buy. I have seen 9z quit during flight due to electronic problems, saw module failures etc. All in all I think that saying that a T14MZ is a dangerous TX and that you should stay far away from it is somewhat over the edge.

But again I can understand your frustration and fear. Just wanted to make sure that if somebody askes for advice he/she will get the best advice possible (which is a problem on its own with all the different opinions around)

Cheers,

Mick.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM
erbroens

Hi Mick, I agree that saying that a top radio from a manufacturer is dangerous in RCU is a radical thing to do, but I stand for it.

My frustration is not based that I always thought that having a Win CE in a R/C transmitter was asking for trouble, but how irresponsably Futaba is acting until now, keeping the faster rate PCM G3 still available for the R/C flyers even when they admit in the radio´s manual that this rate is more prone to interference (!) and should be avoided in a crowded field (!!!) Haven´t they witnessed yet what happens with a jet when it gets a lockout for 2 seconds? Or do they think that we know better than them when we can use mode "a" or mode "b" ?

Unfortunately this was found only recently, and the modeling comunity was spared from a
serious accident just by plain luck, as the people who related the first problems with
this gear faced skepticism . Who dared to say that the PCMG3 was more prone to interference when it was launched and the new receiver wasn´t available?

IMO The same applies to the Win CE question. I bought the radio believing that paralel processing idea, but what happened to me was the proof that it is not worth to add complexity to the radio with a Graphical User Interface at the cost of not knowing exactly
what is happening inside it´s circuit.. (and thus installing a "reset" button on the TX , just for mention it). Of course, any TX like the 9Z can stop working at any moment by a fail in the battery, or in a circuit or in a component, but why adding to it another huge and unnecessary variable on the chain? Doesn´t looks wise to me.

Like I said in the other thread, I respect anyone´s decision on using this radio or not, but the idea of not leting others know the info we got on this subject ( based on the inherent risk involved in our hobby) is quite unbearable to me.

Best regards, Enrique

Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 AM
ViperOneNL

Erbroens,

Dont get me wrong, I think is is a good thing that you stand up for your opinion and relay your experiance with the T14MZ, thats what this community is all about, read, write, learn, laugh and yes sometimes cry!

As for the PCM G3 issues, I fully agree with you, it is a bad designed receiver and Futaba should never have issued it! I also get annoyed by the way Futaba ignores or denies the PCM G3 issues by saying if you install it correctly it will work perfect, there skimming there responsibilities! (I dont use PCM G3 hence got a expensive receiver gathering dust because I dont trust it)

And dont get me wrong I also think that adding Windows CE to a TX is somewhat over the edge and perhaps asking for troubles, but up until now mine has performed flawless. (Yes I bought one after flying with a buddys TX just because of the feel of the TX in your hands, everythings is where I expect it and feels good)

Keep up the good work

Cheers,

Mick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.