Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JETCENTRAL OR JET CAT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JETCENTRAL OR JET CAT

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: JETCENTRAL OR JET CAT

ORIGINAL: rcjets12

All I could say is that my personal experience with Eric and meeting Felipe at Florida Jets has been great. I have a Super Eagle and it works great starts every time. Also any time I have any question and call Eric he is always there to answer my question. Great Service all the way.

Jose

All that is said above and more goes for Bob Wilcox and Jetcat, enough said. Joe C
Old 08-18-2007, 01:02 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JasonP

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Why would you be so worried about a warranty?? 4 times in one sentence??? Kind of makes you think there is something to worry about.. Don't you think??
I hear Jet Cat Warranty is Great. Too Bad I haven't ever used it!

Jason Pakfar
Jason.
You took my line. Maybe you type to fast for me.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 AM
SinCityJets

Why would you be so worried about a warranty?? 4 times in one sentence??? Kind of makes you think there is something to worry about.. Don't you think??

You sound like a cheap car salesman.

"Sure the other guys offer you a longer warranty, but that's because they need it!"

No, it's because they have confidence in the product. Don't get me wrong, the JetCat is a great engine, but when all things considered, never having to pay for bearings or anything else that goes wrong with your turbine, is a huge value. (for those that actually have to pay for their engines)
Old 08-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

"Sure the other guys offer you a longer warranty, but that's because they need it!"

No, it's because they have confidence in the product. Don't get me wrong, the JetCat is a great engine, but when all things considered, never having to pay for bearings or anything else that goes wrong with your turnine, is a huge value. (for those that actually have to pay for their engines)

A really good warranty is a great thing to have - however, the warranty only covers the powerplant, not the aircraft that is put at risk any time the powerplant malfunctions.

Doesn't really help me a whole lot to get a free turbine repair, if the malfuntion that made the repair necessary also cost me an aircraft. So, for me reliability ranks higher in importance than warranty.

Doug - didn't you have several free Artes turbine replacements, then give up on that and decide to pay for the Jetcat out of your own pocket (before you became a Jetcat rep) rather than continue using free Artes stuff ?

Gordon

Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

No, it's because they have confidence in the product. Don't get me wrong, the JetCat is a great engine, but when all things considered, never having to pay for bearings or anything else that goes wrong with your turnine, is a huge value. (for those that actually have to pay for their engines)

If stating the facts makes me sound like a car salesman then I guess I am, along with everyone else..
Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 AM
AFTERBURNER1

[8D]

Old 08-18-2007, 08:22 AM
AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Doug - didn't you have several free Artes turbine replacements, then give up on that and decide to pay for the Jetcat out of your own pocket (before you became a Jetcat rep) rather than continue using free Artes stuff ?

Gordon

YES

Affirmative Gordon... Out of my OWN pocket but not one headache since.

See Ya

DA
Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

Joe,
In a different thread I asked the question as to throttle lag between the P-120SE and the Artes turbines. Someone answered back and said the friend they fly with had the P-120SE and the poster said he had the Super Eagle Artes and said they were about the same.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 AM
SinCityJets

FYI, I have paid FULL POP for every JetCat I have ever owned. X2 P120s, X2 P-60s X1 P-70 and a P80. You should not assume things about individuals you do not know.
I never said you didn't have to pay for your engines. You shouldn't assume something is about you when it isn't. I was referring to sponsored pilots who don't have to pay for their engines. I'm not aware of any reason you would be sponsored.

IF I was getting the engines for free (which I'm not either), I would be just as happy with either.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:37 AM
tamjets

I had custom built over 100 plane in the last three year. This plane range from $8k to $20K price tag. We also help maiden flight for the customer too.
Maiden flight is the risky business for us. There is so many things can go wrong. But one things I can count on is Jetcat engine.
Knock on wood....
Every maiden flight was a success and trouble free.
Lifetime warrantly would not do me any good if one of this plane going in cause by engine malfuntion.
If anyone interest to know how long does Jetcat engine last.
Well I had one to proof it. But Wilcox had to buy me dinner if show you guy the history of this engine.
I even dare to claim that I had one the early Jetcat engine and still flying to this day. Maybe it had the most hours too.
This engine had so many hours. I use it to fly my proto-type plane. Now it in my proto-type Cougar and it flew very often by Ray.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Lifetime warrantly would not do me any good if one of this plane going in cause by engine malfuntion.
Tam's got a pretty good point. There are customers standing behind him on test flights with a check for lots of money, waiting for a successful flight before handing that check over to Tam. If the plane gets scratched from a bad landing/deadstick/or worse....Tam don't get his check until its fixed. The engines must run perfect the first time out, in order for him to complete his business of building custom turn key aircraft.

I used to fly JetCat, then Eric Clapp gave me a free Rhino engine to put in my F-18. I flew it once, it was fine/Second flight....deadstick/ Third flight...fine/Fourth start up it seized and caught fire.....twice/fifth flight (brand new engine).....ran fine, but my wings folded because of a former that was damaged on the deadstick off runway landing from the second (deadstick) flight. Needless to say my "Grass is Greener" experiment failed miserably, and I went back to JetCat.

I drove 3 hours each way to watch my buddy test fly his new $30k Mibo A-10 powered by twin jet central eagles. One engine would seize and catch fire on each starting attempt. Now I know what you are saying "Each starting attempt?" "Why would you try to start it again after it seizes and catches fire once?" Well, because that's what Eric Clapp said to do. He said that once they get running they will work fine! Yeah I know, I fell for that too. Anyway, a few more weekends of driving out to the field and they finally got running and the test flight was done. Next time he went out to fly it, one engine seized in flight and the plane was lost.

I watched Duky go through six jet central falcons in his rookie before finally saying "enough is enough" and buying a P-80. He has been flying JetCat's for years, but decided to give the free Falcon a try..........he gave it more of a chance then anyone, but even a free engine would frustrate someone who had a whole day of flying planned with his buddies only to be sitting there with a smoldering pipe while everyone else would be enjoying the rest of the day.

Better luck has also passed over the California jet central rep, who has lost more aircraft and had more deadstick damage to his fleet then anyone on the west coast. I have watched his brand new plane burn to the ground after a deadstick in flight (Rhino), I was flying another one of his jets at a show, landed it, and started to taxi back only to find out that the engine had stopped running. He went to push the plane off the runway and realized that the engine was on fire. We got the fire out, got the plane back to the pits, and I noticed some smoke coming out from the nosegear doors. I popped off the canopy, and the ECU was on fire too.

So...........jet central's answer to this is a lifetime warranty? Wow, great idea!

The only beef I have with JetCat, is that I have wasted way too much money on a fire extinguisher, and I'm sick of lugging it around.
I put 250 flights on a brand new Titan out of the box, it was sent in at the end of the flying season to get a kero start upgrade, and the bearings got changed only because Bob did not know when the next time would be when he would see that engine. Oh by the way, not one deadstick or hotstart in that timeframe, and I really cant remember if we ever changed the glow plug......but I'm sure we had to. This is just the experience on one particular engine, but all of the JetCats that I have flown, or have seen others fly, have behaved the exact same.
I became a JetCat rep AFTER all of this, and I have to say has been the easiest assignment of my life. I know that as a rep you are supposed to trouble shoot any problems with customers and help support when needed, but I have yet to do any of that. I just go fly with all my buddies and have great time....I mean, thats what is supposed to happen right? Who wants to be sitting there with a damaged plane watching everyone else have a good time, all the while saying to yourself "Well, at least I have a lifetime Warranty".

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Damn Dave!
I have both, a P-60 and a Falcon.

Both have been good with minor problems.
The P-60 sometimes sticks on startups and the Falcon has twice not gone into cool down mode after a shutdown.

My next purchase will be a 30+ pounder.

I really was going to get a Rhino, but more and more I think I want a Titan SE.
Hopefully I will get to see one in person soon.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Gordon Mc

I had custom built over 100 plane in the last three year. This plane range from $8k to $20K price tag. We also help maiden flight for the customer too.
Maiden flight is the risky business for us. There is so many things can go wrong. But one things I can count on is Jetcat engine.
Knock on wood....
Every maiden flight was a success and trouble free.
Your very successful maiden-flight program certainly sets you apart from many of the others, and adds to your competitiveness. The reliability of the components you use is only one part of the equation though - you having the test-pilot services of one of the most outstanding RC jet pilots in the business certainly counts for a lot too. The system is only as good as it's weakest link, so don't forget to value the people too, not just the hardware.

If anyone interest to know how long does Jetcat engine last.
Well I had one to proof it. But Wilcox had to buy me dinner if show you guy the history of this engine.
I even dare to claim that I had one the early Jetcat engine and still flying to this day. Maybe it had the most hours too.
This engine had so many hours. I use it to fly my proto-type plane. Now it in my proto-type Cougar and it flew very often by Ray.
I could be wrong, but I think Rick's old Jetcat has more hours on it than yours... maybe you guys should compare notes

Gordon
Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Hi guys
As some of you may know, I have both a 120 JetCat and the JF-120 Super Eagle. I consider them the best of the best.

Nothing can compete with the reliability of the JetCat.
The JetCat is what all others are judged by, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.â€

JF-120 Super Eagle, simply put, is a beast of power and performance … maybe too much. It seems that performance is the top concern in its design.

So I found myself at this crossroads too, and one of each was my best answer.

Johnny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95341.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	744522  
Old 08-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My engine hours and total flights as of 12/31/06 are on JetCat's web site under News.

Currently:

P-70 #2060 = 161h 51m, 1047 flts
P-70 #2055 = 120h 27m, 804 flts
P-80 #1153 = 151h 51m (RIP, crash), 1000 flts exactly.
Titan #670 = 7h 49m, 51 flts, + whatever the previous owner(s) did.

Rick
Old 08-18-2007, 02:11 PM
gluit

No, it's because they have confidence in the product. Don't get me wrong, the JetCat is a great engine, but when all things considered, never having to pay for bearings or anything else that goes wrong with your turbine, is a huge value. (for those that actually have to pay for their engines)
I have seen Doug Anderson fly dozens of times and heard about the trouble he had with Artes. He really shows up and really flys. Your attack on him is offensive to me, maybe because I don't know you.

You seem new to the jet world, am I wrong? What do you base you recommendations on? Business arrangements or real world flight experience? How many flights do you have on the Artes? Thanks, Aman
Old 08-18-2007, 02:23 PM
bbjpilot

ORIGINAL: heytex

LOOKING FOR TURBINE TO INSTALL IN SUPER BANDIT COMPOSITE 120 SE JETCAT OR JF-120 SUPEREAGLE ? HELP
I would have to second, third and fourth everything Strawboss posted

An unbaised opinion............when I first jumped head first into this, the one thing I noticed at the "rallies" was that Bob Wilcox of JetCatUSA was always present, giving suggestions, answering questions, never selfish with his time and knowledge. I've since purchased a P70 and P120 and am very happy that I did.

Last year, at Desert Storm, he walked over after I shut down after my official flight at a jet rally...He noticed my starter o-ring was slipping. He offered to replace it, on site in :30. I've never seen a jet central rep at the events. Or perhaps he doesn't make himself as visible as Bob.

Bob is a straight shooter, and located here in the USA.

James

Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 PM
gluit

ORIGINAL: strawboss

Tam's got a pretty good point. There are customers standing behind him on test flights with a check for lots of money, waiting for a successful flight before handing that check over to Tam. If the plane gets scratched from a bad landing/deadstick/or worse....Tam don't get his check until its fixed. The engines must run perfect the first time out, in order for him to complete his business of building custom turn key aircraft.

I used to fly JetCat, then Eric Clapp gave me a free Rhino engine to put in my F-18. I flew it once, it was fine/Second flight....deadstick/ Third flight...fine/Fourth start up it seized and caught fire.....twice/fifth flight (brand new engine).....ran fine, but my wings folded because of a former that was damaged on the deadstick off runway landing from the second (deadstick) flight. Needless to say my "Grass is Greener" experiment failed miserably, and I went back to JetCat.

I drove 3 hours each way to watch my buddy test fly his new $30k Mibo A-10 powered by twin jet central eagles. One engine would seize and catch fire on each starting attempt. Now I know what you are saying "Each starting attempt?" "Why would you try to start it again after it seizes and catches fire once?" Well, because that's what Eric Clapp said to do. He said that once they get running they will work fine! Yeah I know, I fell for that too. Anyway, a few more weekends of driving out to the field and they finally got running and the test flight was done. Next time he went out to fly it, one engine seized in flight and the plane was lost.

I watched Duky go through six jet central falcons in his rookie before finally saying "enough is enough" and buying a P-80. He has been flying JetCat's for years, but decided to give the free Falcon a try..........he gave it more of a chance then anyone, but even a free engine would frustrate someone who had a whole day of flying planned with his buddies only to be sitting there with a smoldering pipe while everyone else would be enjoying the rest of the day.

Better luck has also passed over the California jet central rep, who has lost more aircraft and had more deadstick damage to his fleet then anyone on the west coast. I have watched his brand new plane burn to the ground after a deadstick in flight (Rhino), I was flying another one of his jets at a show, landed it, and started to taxi back only to find out that the engine had stopped running. He went to push the plane off the runway and realized that the engine was on fire. We got the fire out, got the plane back to the pits, and I noticed some smoke coming out from the nosegear doors. I popped off the canopy, and the ECU was on fire too.

So...........jet central's answer to this is a lifetime warranty? Wow, great idea!

The only beef I have with JetCat, is that I have wasted way too much money on a fire extinguisher, and I'm sick of lugging it around.
I put 250 flights on a brand new Titan out of the box, it was sent in at the end of the flying season to get a kero start upgrade, and the bearings got changed only because Bob did not know when the next time would be when he would see that engine. Oh by the way, not one deadstick or hotstart in that timeframe, and I really cant remember if we ever changed the glow plug......but I'm sure we had to. This is just the experience on one particular engine, but all of the JetCats that I have flown, or have seen others fly, have behaved the exact same.
I became a JetCat rep AFTER all of this, and I have to say has been the easiest assignment of my life. I know that as a rep you are supposed to trouble shoot any problems with customers and help support when needed, but I have yet to do any of that. I just go fly with all my buddies and have great time....I mean, thats what is supposed to happen right? Who wants to be sitting there with a damaged plane watching everyone else have a good time, all the while saying to yourself "Well, at least I have a lifetime Warranty".

I have seen you fly (less than I have Doug but a lot when I stay in Norcal more) and like that you share flight experiances. I have seen the poor guy you refer to as well. It is somewhat painful to watch.

I have been researching this warranty for a German client (he wants a BVM scale plane built for sportsman level competition). He and I have had good luck with Jetcat and AMT NL (big ones) but he wanted me to look at Artes again. I think it is nostalgia as his first sportsman level jet was an SU with 2 RAM 1000X I think. I did not build it but had to refit it in Hamburg, fun times (Hamburg that is). Anyway this new warranty looks about like what Rei/Albert were offering with RAM 5 or 6 years ago. Great while it lasted Thanks, Aman
Old 08-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: gluit

Anyway this new warranty looks about like what Rei/Albert were offering with RAM 5 or 6 years ago. Great while it lasted Thanks, Aman
I too was stricken by the RAM bullet. My first turbine engine was a RAM 1000, I paid $2795 for it during a X-mas special and the warranty was outstanding....However, by the time I actually had it in an aircraft they were out of business. I must have only gotten less then 10 flights on that engine, these days we do that in one Saturday at the Willow.

The jet central lifetime warranty in my opinion is a band-aid for a much larger wound called unreliability. Now I know some of you out there have had good success with the jet central, congratulations, but in my eyes that still does not trump the countless involvements in damaged/destroyed aircraft, fires, and downtime to all those jet pilots who believed the Hype over this extended warranty business. Honestly, I know this is a touchy subject and do not want to be a part of a war, but these two engines should not be compared side by side. I am not trying to sell JetCat engines, they sell themselves, I am only sharing my experiences to save a jet pilot from learning the hard way like many of us have done. I tried to do this by suggesting to our good buddy and Comp-Arf rep in Arizona to steer clear of these people, he too was lured in with a free engine and hype , and said he was going to give it a shot. Less then a year later, he is back to JetCat.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
bbjpilot

[X(][X(][X(] !!!!!

The "CLAPPER", CLASSIC!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:00 PM
gluit

ORIGINAL: strawboss

I too was stricken by the RAM bullet. My first turbine engine was a RAM 1000, I paid $2795 for it during a X-mas special and the warranty was outstanding....However, by the time I actually had it in an aircraft they were out of business. I must have only gotten less then 10 flights on that engine, these days we do that in one Saturday at the Willow.

The jet central lifetime warranty in my opinion is a band-aid for a much larger wound called unreliability. Now I know some of you out there have had good success with the jet central, congratulations, but in my eyes that still does not trump the countless involvements in damaged/destroyed aircraft, fires, and downtime to all those jet pilots who believed the Hype over this extended warranty business. Honestly, I know this is a touchy subject and do not want to be a part of a war, but these two engines should not be compared side by side. I am not trying to sell JetCat engines, they sell themselves, I am only sharing my experiences to save a jet pilot from learning the hard way like many of us have done. I tried to do this by suggesting to our good buddy and Comp-Arf rep in Arizona to steer clear of these people, he too was lured in with a free engine and hype of the "Clapper", and said he was going to give it a shot. Less then a year later, he is back to JetCat.
Must be Darcy Wingo. Cool guy in IMAC if I remember right. I have never seen a plane roll as fast as his orange jet. Thanks, Aman
Old 08-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Gordon Mc

An unbaised opinion............when I first jumped head first into this, the one thing I noticed at the "rallies" was that Bob Wilcox of JetCatUSA was always present, giving suggestions, answering questions, never selfish with his time and knowledge.
He doesn't just help with Jetcats either ... before I was ever a Jetcat customer, I had RAM and AMT. My RAM (only a couple of months old) burned out it's starter motor on the first flight of a meet after I drove about 700 miles to fly. Although a RAM rep (Thans Tony) did try to help out at first, guess who spent the most time trying to help me find a way around the RAM starter problems ? Mr Jetcat, Bob Wilcox.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Does anyone know who actually is providing the warranty on the Artes engines? Jet Central or Artes? I am just curious...Gary
Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 PM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

If Jet Cat engines never have any problems, why are there 10 times the number of posts on the Jet Cat Support Thread that there are on the Artes Support Thread????????????

I have one of each so don't think I'm really biased here. Just asking for opinions.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there a lot more Jetcats out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.