Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whip antenna or not?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whip antenna or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
t_wright
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whip antenna or not?

I recently aquired a Jet Arrows Wild Hornet and am noticing that many people are using whip antenna s. Is there an advantage with this set up versus running the antenna through the fuselage in an antenna tube? The airframe is fiberglass, wings are sheeted foam and the only carbon fiber in the whole plane is the mounting plate for all the access fittings. I have always run my antenna s this way, but I have never owned a composite plane. I don't anticipate a problem, but either way I will perform the obligatory range check.

Also, the ECU and fuel pump are on one side of the airframe and I plan to install the antenna on the other.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Whip antenna or not?

You will find 99% of the guys will tell you that you need a whip / it brings only advantages. I, however, am sure that it works just as well, if not better without a whip IF you don't have a carbon fuse AND you route it with some common sense.

A whip will give you best test ranges on the ground, because it points straight up and thus gives most projected antenna length from all angles around.
However, once in the air, at the point furthest away, turning back inbound, you will suddenly only "see" a very small portion of the whip antenna, thus have the least range at the point furthest out (my theory).

I "divide" my antenna into 3 equally long sections, and place them one part fore/aft, one part left right and one part up/down. This way, no matter from what (3D) angle i look at the airframe, i will always have at least 2/3 projected antenna length and therefore equal range in all flight situations.

Place the antenna far away from cables, batteries, ecu and such and you will be fine without one of those ugly whips (that make the best jets look like they are from Toys'R'Us ... )

Best regards
Hank
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: Whip antenna or not?

Yes, good thing.