Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Failure of spectrum AR9000 RX's..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Failure of spectrum AR9000 RX's..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Hawk_292

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Failure of spectrum AR9000 RX's..

Have now had 8 flights with this Airworld Hawk using the JR 9X transmitter, Spektrum DM9 module, AR9000 Receiver with two remote receivers and powered by a Powerbox (gives constant 5.8v). All I can say is PERFECT.

The proof is in the flying of this brilliant system. Flew three flights yesterday at a public show and five flights at the Scampton weekend. I cannot fault this system. And no more silly aerials.

TC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48282.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	760399  
Old 09-10-2007, 03:04 PM
GrayUK

Hawk_292

Great news, glad all went well, looks like a nice model. (i love Hawks )

digitech

The purpose of the fuel, carbon and tailpipe etc, is just to prove how well it works in extreme situations...no more..no less.

What I am trying to do is to see if the Futaba system is as robust as the Spekrum/JR or better but without the need for extra Aerials and receivers.

At the moment it looks that way, also it was not me who raised the issues with the JR/Spekrum..it was other who had some very expensive crashes.

I am not knocking anything...just want to find out how safe the system is, and that has been the theme of my thread all along.

I offered that info to David saying that some of the tests may be relevant but not all...nothing more nothing less.

Yes 2.4 is a good system, but how you use it is also important, the Futaba method is based on military coms. and is pretty well unjammable.

I agree with you about the modules...seems to be taking forever to get them out..

I am looking forward to getting a 12 channel system to play with

Old 09-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Hawk_292

Paul,

On takeoff, as the model flies away from me I have one gallon of fuel, a large turbine, a jetpipe and lots of fibreglass/ carbon reinforcement between the transmitter signal and the receivers (which are all in the cockpit area). This must be the worst flight position it can get for this Spektrum/ JR9X signal, but it works fine.

I’m all for testing before flying. I flew several low value models using the DM9 to build up my confidence of the system. After installing the 2.4g system into the Hawk it was fully tested at my house and at the flying field. In my back garden I even went around the other side of my house and it still worked perfectly. Before the first flight I did the low power test and had to demonstrate the JMA turbine failsafe test. Again all perfect. Then into the air for 5 interference and problem free flights.

I had flown the Hawk on 35 Mhz for 3 flight before I converted the Transmitter to the 2.4g module. After that, I have had to add more Expo to the pitch and roll because it felt faster on the controls.

Another picture of the Hawk on finals with full flaps down (and no silly aerials). Enjoy.

TC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47055.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	760503  
Old 09-10-2007, 05:44 PM
GrayUK

Fantastic

Yes, I noticed the increase in response, it is hard to believe you would, but I had to do the same to my test model which was previously on 35meg.

Love the pics..

Paul
Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks anyway guys, I will now install the DX7 in the L39 and give it a go ! Extensive bench testing has produced perfect results, now I'll try it in the air AND hide the aerials !!

Great pictures of the excellent Hawk, after my Scampton flameout mishap mine will be soon back in the air with a new right wing, provided it survives its freight journey back to Sydney !! !

As an aside, I understand there are reports from some quarters that those of us using Weatronics at the JWM were suffering problems, WRONG !! They worked perfectly BUT we were able to pinpoint the area, using GPS, of rather poor reception. If the data logging facility had not been available we would not have noticed the problem areas which caused a number of, non Weatronics, 35MHz fliers significant problems including Dave Shulman before he installed a Weatronics DR. It will be most interesting to see the Weatronics approach to 2.4 MHz.

Regards,

David Gladwin
Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Thanks anyway guys, I will now install the DX7 in the L39 and give it a go ! Extensive bench testing has produced perfect results, now I'll try it in the air AND hide the aerials !!

Great pictures of the excellent Hawk, after my Scampton flameout mishap mine will be soon back in the air with a new right wing, provided it survives its freight journey back to Sydney !! !

As an aside, I understand there are reports from some quarters that those of us using Weatronics at the JWM were suffering problems, WRONG !! They worked perfectly BUT we were able to pinpoint the area, using GPS, of rather poor reception. If the data logging facility had not been available we would not have noticed the problem areas which caused a number of, non Weatronics, 35MHz fliers significant problems including Dave Shulman before he installed a Weatronics DR. It will be most interesting to see the Weatronics approach to 2.4 MHz.

Regards,

David Gladwin

the problems i have seen where pump cables running by and over the weatronics at the wjm
now that is asking for trouble..
Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Hawk_292

David,

I had hoped we could have got both our Hawks into the air at the same time for some photo shots at RAF Scampton on the Sunday? But was saddened to hear your Hawk was damaged on Saturday afternoon. Maybe next summer we could have our Hawks in a formation flypass?

Towards the end of last year, I had to choose whether to go down the Weatronic route or the Powerbox route, when I was making changes to the Hawk installation. The decision was made very easily for me when I heard about the 2.4g systems being released. In September of 2006, I was shot down by someone switching on the 35Mhz Tx on the same channel as I was on, which lost me a nice model. So I chose to go down the Powerbox route and convert to the Spektrum 2.4g as soon as it became available in the UK. The Weatronic system is an excellent system but it would not stop the numpties switching on using the same channel and locking out the 35mhz channels with the potential of a disaster.

I’m sure 35Mhz will be around for several more years to come, but I won’t use it again. It is an open channel system, which is prone to human error. So a system which selects its own free channels and locks into them, is the way forward for me. I trust computer logic more than some humans.

I think the weatronic system on 35Mhz has simply been overtaken by 2.4g systems in 2007. The gyros and GPS are “nice to have†parts, but the core of the Weatronics unit is the dual receivers. I now have four Spektrum receivers at different locations in the model and a power distribution system, which is probably one of the best available. The aerials are all internal and around 1 inches long so no need for these hideous flexible aerials sticking out of the nose of a scale model.

If Weatronics gives us a 2.4g system with remote receivers, a pitch/ roll/ yaw gyro, a GPS system and a good power distribution system to the servos, then I’ll be happy to test it and if its better than the Spektrum/ powerbox system, then I’ll fly it.

There are also other 2.4g systems coming on line soon. Graupner have their IFS system and I was told of the American XPS system which locks into the receiver and have two way communications between the Tx and the Rx. One chap who flies it in the UK told me that in the future it could pass data from the model back to the pilot in real time – low airspeed, turbine flameout, low fuel, etc. Sounds brilliant to me. Bring them on.

TC
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 AM
dribbe

Regards,

David Gladwin
Actually, in the interest of factual info (since you hint otherwise), David Shulman had siginicant problems on flights after installing the Weatronics as well... The install had to be overhalled somewhat before it became safe and reliable. Feel free to check it with him directly.

Best Regards,
David

Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: dribbe

Regards,

David Gladwin
Actually, in the interest of factual info (since you hint otherwise), David Shulman had siginicant problems on flights after installing the Weatronics as well... The install had to be overhalled somewhat before it became safe and reliable. Feel free to check it with him directly.

Best Regards,
David

yes true dont put a long cable from the ecu to the pump over the weatronic , exactly where the antenna outputs are.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 PM
David Gladwin

TC; Yes I hoped to have the Hawk airborne with your lovely example but thats fate ! It is on its way back to Sydney now and with a new wing and some fuselage repairs it will be flying again, better than ever. Anyway I have another Hawk almost ready to fly. The flameout out has been traced to a voltage drop between battery and ECU. I am sorry I didnt have longer to chat with you at Scampton.

Completely agree with your assesment of 2.4 and as I said, I really look forward to seeing the Weatronics 2.4 solution. Later today I will call our Australian JR dealers (Model Flight) to order my 2.4 combo for the 10x and build confidence in it in my new Savex l39/Wren 44 gold combo. I will install your exact Hawk radio config into my huge Nimbus sailplane which will be flown very close to an urban area in Sydney with associated risk of shootdown on 36MHz.

DR. No hints, just stating what I saw and was able to download from the flight recording function of the DR. After DS installed and flew the Weatronics in the Sabre following his two flameouts I put his SD data card into my laptop to look at the data acquired during the flight. It was absolutely fine with no failsafe frames and looked perfect.

That said, two of my four flights in NI showed perfect reception but two showed some RF degredation near that hill and everything pointed to some kind of interference with which the DR coped extremely well and I noticed nothing in flight. The Hawk has since flown with exactly the same configuraion and frequency as in NI and the Weatronics has been absolutely perfect. In fact with 24 hours to kill on the flight home I went through a LOT of Weatronics flight data and only in Northern Ireland did it show any performance reduction and only in NI did it generate any failsafe frames, and then only for 1/3 second.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 PM
David Gladwin

Well, my Spektrum systen arrived for the 10x and is now installed in my vintage BobCat with a PST 600R.
The main receiver is in the centre of the fuselage at left, one remote is in the area behind the hatch with another forward in the canopy such that the antenae are at 90 degrees to each other.

Ground tests have shown a range WAY beyond 30 paces and even at 80 paces only a few ariel fades on the main RX but none on the remotes. No frames lost and no holds, final tests will be with engine running and then its go !
Fingers crossed but see no reason why it should not be a non event !

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:16 AM
TREADSTONE

David,

This cant affect you at all can it....

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1693

Brg

Dve.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 AM
David Gladwin

Thanks for the warning but probably not. No servos are driven past the end point and my module had just arrived at the Australian distributor (Model Flight, they have a brilliant web site : www.modelflight.com.au) so I guess/hope that its all to very latest spec. Every thing is performing perfectly so far !

Thank you again, I'll test fly it next weekend !!

Regards, David.