Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do you think about JETLEGEND L39?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do you think about JETLEGEND L39?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
aerialcameraman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you think about JETLEGEND L39?

Nicolas

Will you be fitting those tip lights to the Christos L39? On the subject of Wilgas I used to own a full size one until about three years ago, The landing lights were quite small and fitted in one of the wingtips. I noticed something strange when running the L39 at full power on the ground, the enormous power of the nexus is such that the fuselage panels all start to suck in a noticeable amount. The gear doors are a good fit so there are no large air leaks. Although the air inlets are very large on the outside of the fus. inside they waist down to what seems like too smaller dia. at the engine. The performance is spectacular so I doubt that I'm loosing much power, but I needed a third fuel tank.

Denny
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 AM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Question ? When installing the canopy etc, are you just inserting the cockpit tub onto the frame and letting the canopy hold the tub in place, or are you glueing the tub to the canopy frame ??
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: aerialcameraman

Nicolas

I noticed something strange when running the L39 at full power on the ground, the enormous power of the nexus is such that the fuselage panels all start to suck in a noticeable amount. The gear doors are a good fit so there are no large air leaks. Although the air inlets are very large on the outside of the fus. inside they waist down to what seems like too smaller dia. at the engine. The performance is spectacular so I doubt that I'm loosing much power, but I needed a third fuel tank.

Denny
Sounds like you did not fit a bypass ? Am I right ?

The third fuel tank seems logical to me, with the P-160 the supplied tanks give you only a safe 7 minutes flight, more power (like w/ your Nexus) means more thirst.
I found the 7 minutes a bit at the short side ; the coca-cola bottles would be a good option with 4,125 liters in total, and easy to install. Digitech has good metal bottle caps !

Nicolas.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 PM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: snobird

Question ? When installing the canopy etc, are you just inserting the cockpit tub onto the frame and letting the canopy hold the tub in place, or are you glueing the tub to the canopy frame ??

Mine is just loose, it was sufficient so far and allowed me to comb Batman's girlfriends' hair every now and then (when nobody was watching / I have a rep' to protect). LOL

The front top part (black fibreglass) of the dashboard is attached to the fuselage with three velcro patches. Easy to remove whenever needed. (Sorry, on the photo it just fell down / the front patch came off the fuselage)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99868.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	846563  
Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
SpiderJets

Here are some pics of the new light parts for the L-39.
The new wing tank dome (with headlight reflector lens & white Luxeon emitter) and the wing tip lights (beacon + position lights, Luxeon emitters).
These are VERY powerful lights, much brighter than any LED or halogen !
(The other L39 lights and the electronic controller of the set (etc etc) is not shown here, of course).

Nicolas.

Name:	Jh17213.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	846583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13098.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	846584  
Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
aerialcameraman

On my cockpit installation I used the Jet legend moulding and just transfered the components from the Skymaster cockpit kit. plus two pilots.

Denny
Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a shot of how they did the front door hinge on the main doors? There is not alot of space for the internatl mount due to the former thats in the way.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Guys,

I got myself a L-39 and will have my builder make it with a custom-paint scheme. I only like American planes, but the L-39 is too good to resist. Anyway, I need your vote on which paint scheme to go for. Here are the pictures

Mike

Name:	Xu62622.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	848567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85796.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	848568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22345.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	848569  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Number 1 looks cool
Old 01-12-2008, 07:25 AM
cairoman

On my cockpit installation I used the Jet legend moulding and just transfered the components from the Skymaster cockpit kit. plus two pilots.

Denny
Guys beware of the rudder linkage and setup. I am at the airfield right now with Denny, who just had a near disaster, flying his L39. He took off flew for about three seconds and I noticed something parting the airframe. I asked him if he still had control and he said yes, total, so we thought it was a gear door or something. He had a full flight and upon landing we were really surprised to see that the whole rudder was missing. We searched and found the rudder!!!!!! really amazing to have survived this flight.

Chris

Name:	Rp43897.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	848915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33367.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	848916  
Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 AM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: cairoman
Guys beware of the rudder linkage and setup. I am at the airfield right now with Denny, who just had a near disaster, flying his L39. He took off flew for about three seconds and I noticed something parting the airframe. I asked him if he still had control and he said yes, total, so we thought it was a gear door or something. He had a full flight and upon landing we were really surprised to see that the whole rudder was missing. We searched and found the rudder!!!!!! really amazing to have survived this flight.

Chris

For sure, flutter. No other force can generate this kind of destruction. As I said, I do not trust the original JL mechanism.

Sorry to hear about this mishap, it must have scared you a lot.

I witnessed once high speed flutter of an F-16 on the rudder ; the plane landed with both wing spars bent about 10 degrees up, each. Unbelievable. And the L-39 doesn't even fly that fast.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 AM
cairoman

Nico,

This is your favourite airfield, where the wind is always on the runway, but you MUST go there at 5.00 in the morning!!!

Chris
Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 AM
aerialcameraman

Guys

The Nexus that I have has been tweeked to give about 40lbs of thrust so take it from me this L39 was flying fast. The rudder departed when I was flying more or less straight and level so the speed at that point was not as fast as it could have been. on close inspection you can see that the fin rear spar has been torn out by the hinge mounting blocks so I think we can safely say the balsa spar is not strong enough for the job and the standard kit servo mechanism is a bad design. It will be replaced by a Pull Pull design. Other than that it is an fantastic performer. I will eventually repaint it in the American "Wild Child" paint scheme.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kmarks

Wayne,

The Mod I did is straight forward and I will post in order of what I did to get a very tight, NON-slop working rudder, with out cutting and install of conventional rudder servo set up.

1. I used JR 8711 but I think a JR 8611 or futaba similar servo will work.
2. I used a Hangar 9 HAN3574 HD 1/2 servo arm 4-40 JR
3. The pin that comes with the kit I tossed, and used a 4-40 3/4 inch bolt.
4. I threaded the bolt through the servo arm at the first hole from the center, going up and used a lock nut to tighten down on the aluminum arm. After that I used a dremel and smoothed out the threads at the upper 1/2 inch of the 4-40 bolt.
5. The tail section came with a cut out in an arc movement, I suppose to fit the pin through that and will engage into the metel block on the rudder. Use this initial arc cut out and dremmel away the fiber glass about 1/2 toward the rear of the jet. you should have an open square shape. Now that you have opened up the hole where the pin fits into the rudder metel block, trial fit the servo set up into the tail servo opening and fit the pin into the metel block channel and position the pin slightly before the end point in the channel. Hold the servo with your hand and with RX and TX on see if the tail moves with out binding. Keep in mind the total travel of the tail is 1/4 left and right. So adjust your throws on the TX on ATV to very low, +/- 20%. It took me a few trys to position everything right, and to make sure the pin was in the channel properly.

6. I glued the servo into place using a TAM Jet servo mount $10 USD. When the Aero Poxy was dry the set up was perfact.

With this said, I have 4 flights and have not seen a problem yet. So there you have it.

Good Luck.

Kevin
Kevin,
How much throw does the rudder have with this setup?

Nicholas, how much throw did you have?
Thanks
Scott
Old 01-12-2008, 02:35 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

I do not have my kit yet. Are the hinges glued to the vertical stab and rudder at the factory ?
jef
Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: figueroa

I do not have my kit yet. Are the hinges glued to the vetical stab and rudder at the factory ?
jef
No, they are not.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
SpiderJets

[/quote]

Nicholas, how much throw did you have?
Thanks
Scott
[/quote]

Post #177 : "Rudder : 45 mm LEFT/RIGHT " (measured at the base of the rudder)
Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
SpiderJets

Nico,

This is your favourite airfield, where the wind is always on the runway, but you MUST go there at 5.00 in the morning!!!

Chris

Guys, I HAVE to warn you : if you'd ever think of go flying in Cyprus in the summer, these guys gather at 6:00 AM (to avoid the heat). Totally nuts.
In my club in summer, this must be the time the last guys LEAVE the cantina
Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 PM
figueroa

ORIGINAL: SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: figueroa

I do not have my kit yet. Are the hinges glued to the vetical stab and rudder at the factory ?
jef
No, they are not.
Thanks for the reply Nicolas,
Did you put your rudder servo in a different location than the plans called for ?
jef
Old 01-12-2008, 03:04 PM
SpiderJets

.... and this is how they fly jets there : on a vast dry salt lake bed near Limassol (Lady's Mile Beach / kilometers of runway all around you), they sit down to fly (usually with a cigar) and the jet pilots' caller takes his job VERY seriously and starts making phone calls during the whole flight ! (photos taken in 2002)

Name:	Ay74052.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	849145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73443.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	849146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11358.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	849147  
Old 01-12-2008, 03:09 PM
SpiderJets

[/quote]
Did you put your rudder servo in a different location than the plans called for ?
jef
[/quote]

Yes, please check the thread, page 6 post #132, and page 7 post #172.

Recently, the pushrod, link, etc have had a touch of Humbrol paint and it is now less obvious it's not scale and/or been modified...
Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
figueroa

ORIGINAL: SpiderJets

jef
[/quote]

Yes, please check the thread, page 6, post #132.
[/quote]
Looks like a much better method.
Thanks.
jef
Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 AM
aerialcameraman

The rudder control system was installed exactly as the plan shows and the hinges were fixed with Aeropoxy, as you can see the hinges did not break away from the balsa mounting blocks. The blocks were torn right though the rear balsa spar. The flutter was caused by the poor geometry of the standard linkage. (not firm enough) I like Nicholas's remedy but again I think this can be improved because the push rod is not at right angles to the hinge line. I will change it for a cable pull pull system about one third of the way up from the bottom of the rudder. It could also be worth considering the fitment of a trailing edge anti-flutter plate, but this is not a scale feature - Hunters had this.

By the way, it is only in the middle of summer that we get +40C temps at Ladies Mile flying site. At this time of the year it can be 5C. and the salt lake can be a little wet. It is still the best test site I know of because you can land in any direction.

Denny Rowland - living in Cyprus, call 99015445/25582275 if you are ever on the Island.javascript:void(AddText('[8D]',''))
Old 01-13-2008, 03:04 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Denny

Chris

GOTTA LOVE THAT "CHINA" WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Hello, I have over 35 flights on my bird and still going strong with set up as described in previous threads, the total travel to each side is slight, maybe 1/4 inch. That is it!!! The throw is limited to the PIN on the servo arm swinging INSIDE the tail part, and connecting inside the alluminum rudder block receptor.

There was a time that most RC jets did not use rudders, but AMA made it mandatory. OK 1/4 inch is not a lot but still satisfys the AMA requirment and seems to be enough to correct any yaw on landing.

Hope that Helps.

Kevin Marks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.