Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rauch airliner model

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rauch airliner model

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rauch airliner model

Tommy

How are you going to add flying stab mechanism on your model's fin?

Fumus

Since our kits are the same I am planning to fly with glow engines. What would you suggest I should know and do while building the model?. What is the weight of your model and engine types you have on your model.

In general who will be doing what livery, I will be doing mine in old Saudia colors from late 70s and early 80s era.

Sammy
Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
fumus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Well guys I finally bought my first RC model kit after 14 months of health related issues.

Its Kranz B727-200 kit. It does need fixing of the nose section and the tail section to make them more scale. As for the wings I guess I could clip them a bit if I decided to install turbine instead of 2X 90sz engines. I will try to post pictures soon of it.

I am wondering if I could cut of original nose and replace it with Norbart's B727 nose!. Is there anyone who has done this conversion already?.
If the diameter of the fuselage is identical replacing of the nose should be no problem. But otherwise - maybe impossible.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 AM
fumus

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Tommy

How are you going to add flying stab mechanism on your model's fin?

Fumus

Since our kits are the same I am planning to fly with glow engines. What would you suggest I should know and do while building the model?. What is the weight of your model and engine types you have on your model.

In general who will be doing what livery, I will be doing mine in old Saudia colors from late 70s and early 80s era.

Sammy
It's not my plane!
I found the pics on Ebay when this 727 was offered there. I posted them as an typical example of Kranz' airliners.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sammy,
The toughest part of the build thus far was the full flying stab and prevent any slop in the mechanism. I placed the servo, an JR 8711 for plenty of torque, in a cavity I built in the vertical stab with an overlying access panel in case I ever need to get to it. There is a small pushrod which goes to a 90 degree bellcrank I cut out of a thick piece of GRP type material. This angle allows a straight pushrod up to the front of the stab, where a rod is placed thru the vertical and into the stabs. I was really surprised when I finished it that there was no slop and that I was getting lots of throw. Now I am trying to configure my engine mount, and sheet the wing cores. Most of the small problems are ironed out.
I think the Kranz 727 is a little smaller than the Rauch model, you might want to check your dimensions. I could be wrong. My 727-200 should be about 100 inches or so long when it is complete. All I know is it is taking up lots of room in the shop and I can't wait to see it fly.
My livery will be the FedEx plane, it is easy to reproduce and the color (purple) on the tail will make it easy to keep oriented. Also, no windows to have to put in the side...
Tommy
Old 01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Props4ever

No problem Fumus, good to see them.

Tommy

This is very interesting and intreging feature to incropote, do you have
Any pictures.

Well since I haven't picked the model yet I don't know its actual fuselage diementions but Previous owner said its around 115 inches in length!.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:38 PM
DocYates

Wow, then it may be the same size as the Rauch model.
I can get some pics of the tail, but now that everything is buttoned up, there is not much to see. I will try to post a diagram of what I am talking about. the vertical satb is very thick especially near the base, so putting a servo in there is not much of a problem.
Tommy
Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Props4ever

Yup diagram or good drawing with some explaination would be good. From what I remember seeing base of the fin on Kranz was not more then 1-1/4 inch thick!.

Does Rouch's 727s fin comes hollow or it has former glued in?.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Props4ever

Hey I just brought the model home. Its 117/118 inches long!, it seems as its tid bigger then Rouch's 722. I don't see any problem with nose conversion now between the two model types.

Peter can I use your 727's nose section for
This conversion before ordering one from Norbert if possible just to make sure.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetspud

Hey Guys

The guys that cut the foam for people, do the cut the foam in squar for you to shape or do they cut the shape that you need such as the fuse or wings. I have been wanting a 757 but dont think I could shape the fuse or wings to were it will look good and even.

David
How much money you willing too spend? I can set you up with a complete ready to fly 757-200 1/16 scale model with all plugs, molds, templates and plans if the money is right.

First pic is the one that is currently flying and for sale. The second pic is one done in the Eastern scheme that was the third one out of four that have been built. The first one was in the UPS scheme and the second one was done in the TASA scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87158.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	853230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52920.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	853231  
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 AM
DocYates

Props
Is the 727 model which you bought set up for turbine or is glow powered? Can you show us some pics?
I will try and get you some actual pics of my vertical assembly/ The vertical is almost 2 inchs thick and is hollow. I made some formers for servo support and when I finished it is very rigid, so no worries there.
TOmmy
Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Props4ever

Tommy

From what I can see and have researched on this model, it looks as it was designed as big
Glow model but I am certain it could be turned into turbine powered also with time and work put into it.

I mean wingspan on it is 108 inches!. Its almost 2 feet bigger then true scale model should have.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Props4ever

I have started to work on this bird's fin. I had to add 3/4 inch balsa strip to its leading edge as chord of the fin is not quite long as it should be. It was also missing more fin area where stab's leading is connected to the fin.

I need to know what areas i should make tougher as if I was to power this 727 with turbine engine.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM
DocYates

Props,
Can you add some pics of the kit? or fuse which you have? I think the wing is probably the biggest consern on my part. I have four joint in a foam wing which seeps back. I am making sure to add a spar to these joint and making sure to add a band of 3/4 oz glass cloth around each joint just to make me feel safer. Don't overpower these models, they tend to fly best at a .6:1 T:W ratio and in the air you will need only half throttle to cruise. Be prepared to add a touch of throttle in the turns just to keep the nose up. They are surprising clean, but will still slow down. The majority of the TE of the wing is flap with a little aileron on the tip, and smaller (German word for rudder) in between the main and secondary flaps. I am still working on making these functional, but it will happen.
Tommy
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Props4ever

Tommy

Still waiting for the pictures.

I started to do work on the model. I added new leading edge to the fin with correct angles. I used 2"x 1/2"x 12" balsa strip to make it.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
DocYates

Props,
Sorry I hardly ever have a camera in my workshop. I tend to work late and when I do, I never take time to take pics. Besides I don't want sanding dust in my camera...haha.
By the weekend I should be able to get a few pics, I spent last night glassing the horizontal, and I want to start covering them with FliteMetal and adding some detail. I am awaiting thin wing servos for the ailerons, (wings are really thin out there....and I also pulled some glass lenses for my strobes at the wing tip. Hopefully with some extra time this weekend I can get the wing sections glued together and start glassing them. I still have to sheet the fuselage, but it is looking mre like an airliner now than a box of wood and foam..
Tommy
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Props4ever

Tommy

I can't post pictures at this time. Reason being I am mostly using my cell phone to post. I waill try to post them through PC when I will get chance. You are right about wings!, I will be adding spars to join both halfs and then add wing tubes where wing sweptbacks since I want to turn this wing into 3pc wing for easy transportation. Yes 727s have double slotted Fowler flaps as inner and outer flaps on both wings any there are high speed ailerons in between both flap sets.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone have Rauch's website address or contact info? I am really interested in his DC-8 but want to see some pics or get a catalog. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

http://rauch-airliner.com/
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Props4ever

Hey Tommy

I have good news!. Norbert just confirmed by email that his fuselage cross sections are same as Kranz!, therefore his 27's nose and #2 engine intake tube,S-duct will graft on my model. I will order these parts once my Connie project is finished. Norbert recommended use of 70N = 16lbs thrust turbine for my model, now which brand is good to look into both in new and used markets.

Regards
Sammy
Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Sammmy
I think you should buy a JetJoe turbine.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 PM
doug l

peter
does JJ make a 4 LB thrust...haaaaa
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Props4ever

Well sure Peter only if you would guide me through out the process of making mounts in the fuselage, installation, testing and then maidin my 727

BTW when can I get the hatch covers from you?, you are just too busy with others.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Props4ever

Tommy

Since you are at much advanced stage then Peter and I, I want to how did you made access hatch to install the turbine and how did you go around making formers and engine mountings in the ampinage of your 727. Can you post some pictures of that area. I want to start building my model from aft section and work towards forward.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Props4ever

Rudder

How are you guys planning to do the rudder on your models?.

1 Full scale = 4pc split double slotted type since there not much there.

2 Half scale = 2pc double slotted single piece type.

3 Off scale 1pc conventinal type for simplicity.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM
doug l

WHAT are you talking about now???
all 27,s have 2 rudders...split for rudder feel and safety ops for loss of a hyd sys...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.